Author Topic: Missing Argentine submarine 'is located by US Navy and a new sonar signal heard' as rescuers race  (Read 1249 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Missing Argentine submarine 'is located by US Navy and a new sonar signal heard' as rescuers race to the spot with oxygen due to run out imminently
(UK) Daily Mail ^ | November 22, 2017 | Sara Malm

Search for missing Argentine submarine intensifies as the crew said to run out of oxygen today
    US Navy aircraft reportedly detected a 'heat stain from a metallic object' at a depth of about 230ft
    Separately, a rescue vessel allegedly reported hearing an infrasound sonar signal late Tuesday night
    Sub with 44 crew went missing last Wednesday while sailing from Ushuaia to naval base in Mar del Plata
    They sailed on Monday, communication was lost on Wednesday, and search is now involving several nations
    An Argentine Navy spokesman warned yesterday that the crew only have oxygen until Wednesday morning

The missing Argentine submarine may have been located early this morning, after a US Navy aircraft allegedly detected a 'heat stain' from 230ft below the surface, some 185miles from the coast, and a rescue vessel separately reported hearing a sonar signal.

Read more at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5106689/Missing-Argentine-submarine-located-Navy.html

Hopefully the story is true, not many seem to be reporting this yet and hopefully, they get there on time. Big kudos for the USN ... if all of this being reported is true. Prayers up.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:21:32 pm by TomSea »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
If they are alive you'd think they would have a method to ascend individually.   An ascent from 230 ft is survivable even without an emergency air source, not easy but doable.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline TomSea

Maybe somehow it exploded, a new theory being explored.

A big noise was heard right before it went missing.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42092897

https://www.yahoo.com/news/search-missing-argentina-sub-stretches-sixth-day-193125168.html

Real sad, my prayers, it doesn't look like they are going to find them safe and sound.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Hopefully the story is true, not many seem to be reporting this yet and hopefully, they get there on time. Big kudos for the USN ... if all of this being reported is true. Prayers up.
Prayers up, indeed!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

BBC
Test depth for the TR-1700 class submarines is 300 meters. While that may be exceeded, by a factor of two (roughly), that calculated crush depth approaching 600m is only theoretical. In wartime, due to flooding or other factors, theoretical crush depths have been exceeded and the vessel surfaced after repairing the problem that put them below crush depth. Some of that area is at depths where the boat is likely to have remained intact, and some where so deep it is unlikely to have retained pressure hull integrity.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Test depth for the TR-1700 class submarines is 300 meters. While that may be exceeded, by a factor of two (roughly), that calculated crush depth approaching 600m is only theoretical. In wartime, due to flooding or other factors, theoretical crush depths have been exceeded and the vessel surfaced after repairing the problem that put them below crush depth. Some of that area is at depths where the boat is likely to have remained intact, and some where so deep it is unlikely to have retained pressure hull integrity.

Bulkhead collapsing would probably sound like an explosion.  Depending on the depth the oxygen can also ignite.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline TomSea

The name of the sub is the San Juan.

I'll be keeping up with this news.

Offline Smokin Joe

Bulkhead collapsing would probably sound like an explosion.  Depending on the depth the oxygen can also ignite.
Yes, although I hope that isn't the case, and I hope their O2 stores have been underestimated.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:20:40 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Water entered missing Argentine sub's snorkel, causing short circuit
MSN.com, Nov 27, 2017, Reuters, Hugh Bronstein

Water entered the snorkel of the Argentine submarine ARA San Juan, causing its battery to short-circuit before it went missing on Nov. 15, a navy spokesman said on Monday as hope dwindled among some families of the 44-member crew.

The San Juan had only a seven-day oxygen supply when it lost contact, and a sudden noise was detected that the navy says could have been the implosion of the vessel. Ships with rescue equipment from countries including the United States and Russia were nonetheless rushing to join the search.

Before its disappearance, the submarine had been ordered back to its Mar del Plata base after it reported water had entered the vessel through its snorkel, causing a battery short circuit, navy spokesman Enrique Balbi told a news conference.

More: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/water-entered-missing-argentine-subs-snorkel-causing-short-circuit/ar-BBFP2GT?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp