Author Topic: A Newcomer's Guide to Oil and Gas: Fuel Pump Facts  (Read 1345 times)

Offline thackney

A Newcomer's Guide to Oil and Gas: Fuel Pump Facts
« on: November 22, 2017, 01:16:46 pm »
A Newcomer's Guide to Oil and Gas: Fuel Pump Facts
http://www.rigzone.com/news/a_newcomers_guide_to_oil_and_gas_fuel_pump_facts-21-nov-2017-152541-article/
November 21, 2017

If I pump gasoline or diesel from a fuel pump bearing the brand of a well-known refiner, does that mean I’m getting fuel produced by that specific refiner?

Not necessarily.

“Generally, gasoline and diesel that are produced by a specific refiner that has downstream retail assets may not end up at that refiner’s retail stations,” Suzanne Danforth, downstream market development director with Genscape, told Rigzone. “This is due to a number of reasons that link back to the nature of contractual and spot markets for transportation fuels and geographic location/transportation.”

Occasionally refiners need to curb operations at a refinery to, for instance, perform planned or unplanned maintenance, Danforth said. Also, a fuel station in a refiner’s downstream network may be far away from a refinery. In such cases, the refiner nevertheless needs to provide fuels to its contractual buyers and any retail outlets that it may own. Danforth pointed out the spot market – where fuels produced by various refiners are available for immediate delivery – helps refiners to cover any supply gaps.

“In those instances, the refiner purchases gasoline and/or diesel on the spot market to meet these obligations,” continued Danforth. “That means that the transportation fuel you as a customer would buy at a refiner’s retail station may not necessarily be produced by that refiner.”

Although there is a decent chance that the “Brand XYZ” fuel you’re pumping into your car actually came from a “Brand ABC” refinery, note that both refiners manufacturing transportation fuels for a given geographic region will do so following the same specifications.

“Base gasoline is nearly the same, it’s the additives (such as proprietary detergents) that vary and that you often hear about in gasoline marketing,” explained Patrick DeHaan, head of petroleum analysis with GasBuddy.com. “Some of the refiners will have agreements to supply a competitor in an area, and in another area it may be vice versa. But quite often, branded stations do have fuel from that respective oil company.”

Occasionally I'll see different prices for fuel at two convenience stores located very close to one another. There may be a difference of, say, several cents a gallon between fuel retailers just across the street from one another. Why the disparity?...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: A Newcomer's Guide to Oil and Gas: Fuel Pump Facts
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 01:39:57 pm »
I remember when I was working a summer job at the Cosden refinery in Big Spring TX, I'd see Mobil, Shell, Esso, Fina (who owned the refinery), Conoco, Phillips and all the other brands pulling their delivery trucks up to fill up with gasoline. I asked one of the loaders, and he told me they had specific stations they pulled up to that blended the fuel to the specific company's standards. I was 19 and that revelation was an eye opener. They all compete, but they also cooperate.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 01:51:49 pm »
I recall going down to the Conoco station around the corner of the house where I grew up to visit my brother. Conoco had a dial on the pump and you could dial the grade of gasoline you wanted.  Seemed like there were 7 or so different octanes.

Wonder if that was legit?  Seems that would be a lot of trouble to have separate tanks for so many, so perhaps it had a couple of low and very high octanes and they just mixed them to the blend from what you dialed?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 01:52:52 pm »
I remember when I was working a summer job at the Cosden refinery in Big Spring TX, I'd see Mobil, Shell, Esso, Fina (who owned the refinery), Conoco, Phillips and all the other brands pulling their delivery trucks up to fill up with gasoline. I asked one of the loaders, and he told me they had specific stations they pulled up to that blended the fuel to the specific company's standards. I was 19 and that revelation was an eye opener. They all compete, but they also cooperate.

I've designed and built several truck loading stations for gasoline, diesel and Jet Fuel. (Trucks loading to haul to the retail station)  There can be multiple refineries feeding the same pipeline.  The pipeline company batches the product movement through the pipeline, stores each product in a tank at each loading facility.  As long as it meets spec, it all gets loaded into the same tank as from other refineries.

At the loading dock, drivers key/card in with what they are loading.  The correct additive tank & pump comes alive and adds the right number of squirts for the gallons loaded.  Could be from the Shell additive, Chevron, or generic; I've seen a single load facility with over a dozen brands available.  All loading the same blended gasoline from multiple refineries.  It is the normal method of business unless you are nearby the refineries.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 01:53:26 pm by thackney »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 02:19:59 pm »
I recall going down to the Conoco station around the corner of the house where I grew up to visit my brother. Conoco had a dial on the pump and you could dial the grade of gasoline you wanted.  Seemed like there were 7 or so different octanes.

Wonder if that was legit?  Seems that would be a lot of trouble to have separate tanks for so many, so perhaps it had a couple of low and very high octanes and they just mixed them to the blend from what you dialed?

I saw a diagram for such a setup in the 70s, and it indicated just what you suggested -- a high and low being blended at the POS.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 02:29:55 pm »
I saw a diagram for such a setup in the 70s, and it indicated just what you suggested -- a high and low being blended at the POS.

I never saw a terminal with a mid octane tank.  It was always a huge low octane and typically half size high octane.  Blending for midgrade was always done with the truck loading pumping from both simultaneously.  Old days pumped one then the other and splash blended on the drive to the retail store.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 02:43:53 pm »
I never saw a terminal with a mid octane tank.  It was always a huge low octane and typically half size high octane.  Blending for midgrade was always done with the truck loading pumping from both simultaneously.  Old days pumped one then the other and splash blended on the drive to the retail store.
I never trusted that pump would dispense the higher grades I dialed for as I though it would simply deliver the lower grades.  So I always went lower.  Having a separate tank for each octane would be more trustworthy.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 04:18:56 pm »
I never trusted that pump would dispense the higher grades I dialed for as I though it would simply deliver the lower grades.  So I always went lower.  Having a separate tank for each octane would be more trustworthy.

Keep in mind I'm talking about loading the tanker truck, not your vehicle's fuel tank. 

I'm not aware of current retail stations using onsite blending for their midgrade.

You can count the different colors at the station loading point to see how many different tanks they use.