Author Topic: Six Things to Know About Emphysema  (Read 1225 times)

rangerrebew

Six Things to Know About Emphysema
« on: November 21, 2017, 01:55:42 pm »

Six Things to Know About Emphysema

Johnny Carson. Dean Martin. Conductor Leonard Bernstein. King Edward VII. All famously heavy smokers. All dead from emphysema.

Emphysema is a progressive lung disease that damages the air sacs of the lungs, gradually making breathing harder to accomplish. It is part of the collective of diseases known as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD.

More than 4 million adults have emphysema, and while not everyone dies from the disease, it has touched many lives, including such other celebrities as Loni Anderson, Danica Patrick and supermodel Christy Turlington, all with relatives who have the disease.

http://www.thinkhealthier.com/your-health/your-conditions/25711-six-things-to-know-about-emphysema

Offline Applewood

Re: Six Things to Know About Emphysema
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:20:31 pm »
Just had lunch with a friend of mine today.  She was carrying an oxygen tank.  Just diagnosed with emphysema.  She had smoked for years -- quit about 5-6 years ago when she had a heart attack -- but apparently, the damage to her lungs was already done. 

Sad to see her with an oxygen tank.  She was always an active woman -- raised 5 kids by herself after her dirtbag husband decided he didn't want to  be a husband and father anymore  -- tough as nails, but a very kind and gentle person, loyal to her family and friends.  Now she can hardly walk five steps without gasping and wheezing.  She will be tethered to that oxygen tank for the rest of her life.  And I expect her life span will be shortened by this disease. 

As the saying goes, "if you don't smoke, don't start.  If you do smoke, quit now." Trust me.  You don't want this disease.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 09:28:02 pm »
Just had lunch with a friend of mine today.  She was carrying an oxygen tank.  Just diagnosed with emphysema.  She had smoked for years -- quit about 5-6 years ago when she had a heart attack -- but apparently, the damage to her lungs was already done. 

Sad to see her with an oxygen tank.  She was always an active woman -- raised 5 kids by herself after her dirtbag husband decided he didn't want to  be a husband and father anymore  -- tough as nails, but a very kind and gentle person, loyal to her family and friends.  Now she can hardly walk five steps without gasping and wheezing.  She will be tethered to that oxygen tank for the rest of her life.  And I expect her life span will be shortened by this disease. 

As the saying goes, "if you don't smoke, don't start.  If you do smoke, quit now." Trust me.  You don't want this disease.

Is she eligible for a lung transplant?

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 12:41:04 am »
Don't know.  She didn't say and I didn't ask.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 01:58:37 am »
Smoking is not the only risk/cause of Emphysema and COPD. Welders run a high risk from the fumes, when was the last time you saw a welder wear a respirator? Those that work cement/mortar and mix it are at high risk of silicosis induced Emphysema/COPD. There are many industrial work related causes other than smoking.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 12:39:19 pm »
Smoking is not the only risk/cause of Emphysema and COPD. Welders run a high risk from the fumes, when was the last time you saw a welder wear a respirator? Those that work cement/mortar and mix it are at high risk of silicosis induced Emphysema/COPD. There are many industrial work related causes other than smoking.
Oh, come now. Didn't you get the memo? All the evils of the modern world are caused by Big Tobacco and Big Oil. (Okay, /sarc)

Rock dust, welding smoke, ordinary dust from tilling fields, coal dust, cement/concrete dust, silica from sandblasting, soot, hot air from foundry or mill work,  just about any persistent irritant that doesn't come out of your lungs as easily as it goes in and does damage while it is there...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 04:19:48 pm »
I am aware there are other causes of emphysema and other lung diseases, and that perhaps too  much emphasis is placed on smoking.  A friend of my Dad's lost his brother to lung cancer in his 30s and the victim never smoked.

But I would still offer the old advice about smoking.  Bad enough there are causes of emphysema and other such diseases that we can do little or nothing about.  But people can either not start smoking or quit.  With smoking, there are choices.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 09:59:36 pm »
I am aware there are other causes of emphysema and other lung diseases, and that perhaps too  much emphasis is placed on smoking.  A friend of my Dad's lost his brother to lung cancer in his 30s and the victim never smoked.

But I would still offer the old advice about smoking.  Bad enough there are causes of emphysema and other such diseases that we can do little or nothing about.  But people can either not start smoking or quit.  With smoking, there are choices.
My great grandfather died of lung cancer. He never smoked.

I did for 35 years, and quit. I breathe easier.

Of the list in my post, there are a few other things I could add which might contribute to pulmonary problems someday, but I have been exposed to all of that and fine oil mists (diesel) and plenty of VOCs in my time as well. During that time, I worked at altitudes from within 10 ft. (+/-) of sea level to 9000 ft., so my lungs were busy along with my metabolism adapting to changes in O2 content of the air around me and relative humidity from 99+% to nearly zero--tidewater in summer to high altitude desert in winter.

I am approaching 11 years without a cigarette, and thankfully, the lungs still work fairly well. I believe the anatomy and physiology of the individual have some influence on how severely what pollutant affects the individual and the long term effects, but some crap will kill you, regardless.

I am gobsmacked at how some of the same people who waged war on tobacco can turn around and push for making marijuana legal, but that is a different issue.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 10:09:43 pm »

Smokers with emphysema who keep smoking because of their addiction are the saddest people on earth, IMO.

We also had a good friend who stopped smoking 30 years ago, and still got COPD from it.   Have another good friend who sang in my choir who had a horrible cough and could barely breathe, but could never quit smoking.  And had an uncle who died at 68 from heart failure and emphysema who walked around his house with an oxygen tank and never stopped smoking.  (He, however, had a good excuse for starting....... Bastogne, infantry).

The advice is good:  If you haven't started, don't.  If you have started, quit.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:10:28 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 03:34:43 am »
Applewood wrote:
"A friend of my Dad's lost his brother to lung cancer in his 30s and the victim never smoked."

I had a lung carcinoid -- a type of lung cancer -- and never smoked, either.
Had it removed two years ago, CT scans have been ok since then...

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 01:15:20 pm »
Applewood wrote:
"A friend of my Dad's lost his brother to lung cancer in his 30s and the victim never smoked."

I had a lung carcinoid -- a type of lung cancer -- and never smoked, either.
Had it removed two years ago, CT scans have been ok since then...

Glad you are ok.