Author Topic: Childhood obesity rates rise 10-fold since the '70s  (Read 1096 times)

rangerrebew

Childhood obesity rates rise 10-fold since the '70s
« on: November 21, 2017, 12:56:53 pm »
Childhood obesity rates rise 10-fold since the '70s
Published Wednesday 11 October 2017
By Ana Sandoiu   

Around 124 million children and adolescents were found to be obese in 2016.

A new report has looked at worldwide obesity rate trends over the past four decades, and it found that obesity in children and teenagers is 10 times higher now than it was in 1975, and that 5 years from now, more will be obese than underweight.

The research was conducted by scientists from Imperial College London (ICL) in the United Kingdom, in collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO).

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319710.php

Offline Applewood

Re: Childhood obesity rates rise 10-fold since the '70s
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 01:36:45 pm »
Well, I guess Michelle's starvation diet school lunch program didn't work, huh?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:44:18 pm »
More than 1,000 researchers examined the body mass index (BMI) of almost 130 million people living in 200 countries.

This is total bullshit. BMI cannot determine obesity. There are too many factors in an individual to use such a rudimentary tool to find out if a kid is fat.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 10:48:00 pm »
Well, I guess Michelle's starvation diet school lunch program didn't work, huh?
Heaven knows, she tried to forcefeed them jicama, but there's only so much one superwoman can do.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 11:12:18 pm »
Well, just maybe that's because schools have taken away recess (too much risk), kids no longer get to just "go out and play," because parents would rather have them sit silently on their computers than have them be healthy.

That, and the fact that frozen pizza and fast food is easier to serve them than fruits and vegetables, and lean meats.

This problem is going to keep getting worse because parenting keeps getting worse and schools are a willing accomplice.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 11:13:39 pm »
More than 1,000 researchers examined the body mass index (BMI) of almost 130 million people living in 200 countries.

This is total bullshit. BMI cannot determine obesity. There are too many factors in an individual to use such a rudimentary tool to find out if a kid is fat.

BMI aside, just look around and you can see that too many kids are obese.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 11:15:53 pm »

True that. When I was 18, 6-1 and 220 lbs, I had virtually no body fat. The BMI charts (where the equation came from) always showed me to 'need' to lose weight.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:16:37 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 11:30:25 pm »
True that. When I was 18, 6-1 and 220 lbs, I had virtually no body fat. The BMI charts (where the equation came from) always showed me to 'need' to lose weight.

When we did a "Healthy Rewards" check up at the hospital where my husband worked, if he just did the BMI, he was overweight (he's not), but if he did the calipers, he was fine.  (He's 6', 185).  My BMI was just fine, so I razzed him about it every year.  ^-^

BMI ratings are completely off target when it comes to muscular people, male or female, and any business or school that uses just BMI ratings to judge obesity is, IMO, completely irresponsible.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:30:59 pm by musiclady »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 03:19:05 am »
When we did a "Healthy Rewards" check up at the hospital where my husband worked, if he just did the BMI, he was overweight (he's not), but if he did the calipers, he was fine.  (He's 6', 185).  My BMI was just fine, so I razzed him about it every year.  ^-^

BMI ratings are completely off target when it comes to muscular people, male or female, and any business or school that uses just BMI ratings to judge obesity is, IMO, completely irresponsible.
I agree!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis