Author Topic: Trump order on sanctuary cities permanently blocked by federal judge  (Read 2920 times)

Offline RetBobbyMI

A federal judge in California has blocked President Trump’s executive order to cut funding from sanctuary cities that don’t cooperate with U.S. immigration officials.

U.S. District Court Judge William Orrick issued the ruling Monday in lawsuits brought by San Francisco and Santa Clara counties. According to the judge, Trump can’t set new conditions on spending approved by Congress.

The judge had previously put a temporary hold on the executive order.

The Trump administration has appealed that decision to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11/20/trump-order-on-sanctuary-cities-permanently-blocked-by-federal-judge.html
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Trump order on sanctuary cities permanently blocked by federal judge
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 03:54:25 am »
Yep!  Until the worthless SOB gets slapped down yet again!  And where the hell is congress?  Why the hell are they not impeaching this fool?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 04:02:19 am »
Yep!  Until the worthless SOB gets slapped down yet again!  And where the hell is congress?  Why the hell are they not impeaching this fool?

Until we get rid of these worthless judges, many good programs will be hamstrung.

And, by the way, pronouns don't always make your posts clear.

I think I know what you meant but you kinda scared me for a minute.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 10:27:23 am »
Jeff Flake voted to confirm this bleep.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 10:32:28 am »
An Obama appointee.  What a surprise!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 02:11:15 pm »
An Obama appointee.  What a surprise!

IIRC the exact same Obama appointee that got his ass kicked over the travel orders.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 02:25:50 pm »
This seems an easy one for the President to simply ignore.

What is the judge going to do?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 02:27:01 pm »

Haven't we gone over this? The Judge will find anyone enforcing the order in contempt of court. Of course, Trump could pardon them.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 02:34:04 pm »
Haven't we gone over this? The Judge will find anyone enforcing the order in contempt of court. Of course, Trump could pardon them.
And then what?  The funds are still held back.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online libertybele

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 02:58:09 pm »
?? Can this not be appealed and taken before the Supreme Court?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 02:58:21 pm »
And then what?  The funds are still held back.

The problem is that the chaos this would create, and what would stop the liberals from doing the same thing once they're in power?

Just ignore a judges orders and then pardon them when they're found in contempt.

It would never end.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 03:05:39 pm »
I know this could be an stupid idea.. Instead of waiting for the feds, pressure the local officials.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 03:05:41 pm »

Of course it can and will be!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 03:13:01 pm »
The problem is that the chaos this would create, and what would stop the liberals from doing the same thing once they're in power?

Just ignore a judges orders and then pardon them when they're found in contempt.

It would never end.
There is no Constitutional chaos whatsoever.  One minor judge does not have the power to block any federal order outside his jurisdiction.  To think otherwise is the only chaos there is as a judge then has unlimited power.

That is a Constitutional crisis.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 03:22:08 pm »
There is no Constitutional chaos whatsoever.  One minor judge does not have the power to block any federal order outside his jurisdiction.  To think otherwise is the only chaos there is as a judge then has unlimited power.

Y E S ! ! !

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 03:24:39 pm »
Of course it can and will be!

...enter Neil Gorsuch! 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 04:09:52 pm »

Thanks for making that point. I recall when Texas won a case against the Obama admin (I think it was healthcare or immigration related) that all the media made sure to point out that it only applied in that jurisdication. But when it's done during the Trump admin it seems to apply to the whole country.

Can't be both.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 04:27:08 pm »

This judge is an Obama appointee with an ax to grind.  He should not have the power to stop a worthwhile executive order.

Just saw this discussed on Fox by someone claiming that Congress has the power to allocate funds and  not the President.

They also flipped up a 'poll' saying that 53% of people do not want to de-fund Sanctuary cities.  I would guess that probably over 60% of people DO want to defund sanctuary cities.

Sanctuary cities?  Within our country?  Harboring law breakers?  I don't think so.

But while watching the show, I also wondered about taking this issue to the Supreme Court.  It should happen.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 06:18:17 pm »
Orrick should be impeached for misuse of judicial power, but would never pass in the Senate.
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Applewood

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 06:21:28 pm »

Next step is the Court of Appeals and the article says the Trump administration will be appealing to that court.  If that appeal fails, the next step will be SCOTUS.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 06:22:10 pm »
Orrick should be impeached for misuse of judicial power, but would never pass in the Senate.

Let the House impeach him and see what the Senate does!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 06:29:07 pm »
Let the House impeach him and see what the Senate does!
I agree. Except McTurtle won’t bring to a vote to embarrass his fellow libs on the left.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 06:32:52 pm »
I agree. Except McTurtle won’t bring to a vote to embarrass his fellow libs on the left.

As I understand things, he cannot prevent a trial in the Senate once the House has Impeached.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bilo

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 06:41:30 pm »

It's something we've long forgotten, rulings by judges are "opinions". They do not have the power of enforcement, that power rests with the executive branch. Unfortunately, instead of having 3 branches of govt that must cooperate with one another, we have a judiciary of elitists who think they can do what they wish and the other 2 branches must do what they say. 
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 06:43:00 pm »
As I understand things, he cannot prevent a trial in the Senate once the House has Impeached.
In either case, what the hell are they waiting for?