Author Topic: Path cleared for Mitt Romney in Utah after top conservative opts against Senate bid  (Read 1240 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Path cleared for Mitt Romney in Utah after top conservative opts against Senate bid
by David M. Drucker | Nov 20, 2017, 11:35 AM

Republican Boyd Matheson has opted against a run for Senate in Utah, clearing a path to the Republican nomination for Mitt Romney, who would then be the overwhelming favorite in the general election, if Sen. Orrin Hatch retires next year.

Matheson, the former chief of staff to Sen. Mike Lee, could have commanded a significant level of support from Utah's conservative base. It probably wouldn't have halted Romney, who is extremely popular in the state. But it could have complicated the 2012 Republican presidential nominee's path to the senatorial nomination, forcing him to contend with those to his Right.

more
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/path-cleared-for-mitt-romney-in-utah-after-top-conservative-opts-against-senate-bid/article/2641230
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

What swell news. Now we will have Senator Romney to keep things in line. As he says, he is Severely Conservative after all.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
How wonderful!  /s
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The political reality of it is that seat is for Romney's taking, if he wishes.  Matheson would have been wasting money opposing the "severely conservative" politician, and I doubt his being in the race would do anything to steer Romney in a better direction, either.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
What swell news. Now we will have Senator Romney to keep things in line. As he says, he is Severely Conservative after all.

I wish Matheson had stayed in.  He probably knew it would be a losing battle but, who knows?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The political reality of it is that seat is for Romney's taking, if he wishes.  Matheson would have been wasting money opposing the "severely conservative" politician, and I doubt his being in the race would do anything to steer Romney in a better direction, either.

Yes! And I understand why but doubt many others here really do.

The lure of having a priesthood holder in office is irresistible to most members of his Church regardless of his ideology.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yes! And I understand why but doubt many others here really do.

The lure of having a priesthood holder in office is irresistible to most members of his Church regardless of his ideology.

I hear ya.  I live near Phoenix, for a time of that in Mesa (in the shadow of the Temple).
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fantom

Well, SOMEBODY has to replace McLaim as the most treasonous worthless POS in the Senate. 
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline libertybele

..hmm is that severely conservative as opposed to unseverely liberal?  Inquiring minds want to know.   :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Well, SOMEBODY has to replace McLaim as the most treasonous worthless POS in the Senate.

That's quite a statement.  So far I'd put Johnny in Mitch in the same POS category; Romney I don't think has earned those stripes yet.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fantom

That's quite a statement.  So far I'd put Johnny in Mitch in the same POS category; Romney I don't think has earned those stripes yet.

Fair enough, I rescind the "Treasonous' part for now.  :smokin: But POS...I stand by that.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Online corbe

Why didn't Frank's buddy McMuffin run?

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
It's sort of a step down for Mitt but if Ted endorsed him in '12, I definitely voted for Romney.

Oh well, when do supposed Cruz supporters actually support Cruz's actions?  :silly:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:46:49 am by TomSea »

Offline Fantom

It's sort of a step down for Mitt but if Ted endorsed him in '12, I definitely voted for Romney.

Oh well, when do supposed Cruz supporters actually support Cruz's actions?  :silly:

Ah, so you did prefer obama, instead of romney.

Good to know.

BTW... that graphic was ..."Romney for Ted"...Jus' sayin'.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:52:01 am by Fantom »

Frederick Douglass

Silver Pines

How much money is Romney worth, anyway?  He's not exactly young.  I'd think at some point the lure of being home with his family and enjoying an upscale lifestyle would beat going to DC.

Offline Frank Cannon

How much money is Romney worth, anyway?  He's not exactly young.  I'd think at some point the lure of being home with his family and enjoying an upscale lifestyle would beat going to DC.

.......especially if you are into multiple wives.

Offline RoosGirl

You may want to see the Senator from Arizona for an answer to that line of thinking.

Silver Pines

Offline Fantom

You may want to see the Senator from Arizona for an answer to that line of thinking.

Right!..... Power...the dark side. McLaim, Pelosie, ... Romney. The list is endless.... they crave it over life itself.

Frederick Douglass

Offline dfwgator

Carpetbagger.