Author Topic: The publisher of AL.com blasts back at legal threats from Roy Moore  (Read 1336 times)

Silver Pines

The publisher of AL.com blasts back at legal threats from Roy Moore

By Erik Wemple
November 19, 2017

After The Post published an investigative article documenting Roy Moore’s pursuit of a 14-year-old girl in 1979, the Republican Senate candidate from Alabama pledged to sue the newspaper. “The Washington Post published another attack on my character and reputation because they are desperate to stop my political campaign. These attacks said I was with a minor child and are false and untrue — and for which they will be sued,” Moore said a week ago during a campaign stop in Huntsville, Ala.

Read more at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2017/11/19/the-publisher-of-al-com-blasts-back-at-legal-threats-from-roy-moore/?utm_term=.beef0dab68e6

Silver Pines

Re: The publisher of AL.com blasts back at legal threats from Roy Moore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:15:24 pm »
AL. com rejects Moore's demand, and adds this:

"Not content to merely play defense against the threats from Moore, the AMG letter notes that litigation from the Senate candidate would “also reveal other important information about your clients.” In that spirit, it gives notice to Moore & Co. that they are to preserve all “materials, documents, writings, recordings, statements, notes, letters, journals, diaries, calendars, emails, videos, computers, cell phones, electronic data, and other information” related to these matters. Which is to say: Be careful what you wish for, Mr. Moore."

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 04:54:34 pm »
Blackmail? Seriously?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Silver Pines

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 05:30:40 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

Blackmail?  Huh?

That's the way I read what this alleged news service is doing. Either cease and desist or we will start throwing shit at you.

Silver Pines

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 05:32:43 pm »
That's the way I read what this alleged news service is doing. Either cease and desist or we will start throwing shit at you.

Y'all have a unique point of view.  Seems to me it's saying this is bull and you know it, so be careful what you want to reveal.

We'll see, though, if Moore backs off or if he really does sue them.  He backpedaled on suing the Post.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 05:33:11 pm »
Blackmail is illegal; stating potential consequences is not.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 05:38:19 pm »
Y'all have a unique point of view.  Seems to me it's saying this is bull and you know it, so be careful what you want to reveal.

We'll see, though, if Moore backs off or if he really does sue them.  He backpedaled on suing the Post.

So you don't find it odd that the paper isn't just standing by their story, but instead doing some sort of Tony Soprano move to intimidate the subject of their article?

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 07:13:02 pm »
AL. com rejects Moore's demand, and adds this:

"Not content to merely play defense against the threats from Moore, the AMG letter notes that litigation from the Senate candidate would “also reveal other important information about your clients.” In that spirit, it gives notice to Moore & Co. that they are to preserve all “materials, documents, writings, recordings, statements, notes, letters, journals, diaries, calendars, emails, videos, computers, cell phones, electronic data, and other information” related to these matters. Which is to say: Be careful what you wish for, Mr. Moore."
Moore should preserve it in the same manner as thoroughly as Hillary and company. What would the response be if he managed to get everything sealed ala bathhouse barry?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:13:19 pm by GtHawk »

Silver Pines

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 08:43:26 pm »
So you don't find it odd that the paper isn't just standing by their story, but instead doing some sort of Tony Soprano move to intimidate the subject of their article?

@Frank Cannon

No, just the opposite.  Seems to me they know their reporting is solid and they’re smacking him twice as hard as his empty threats.  Good for them.  They also realize that discovery is why Moore won’t dare sue.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 09:49:23 pm »
@Frank Cannon

No, just the opposite.  Seems to me they know their reporting is solid and they’re smacking him twice as hard as his empty threats.  Good for them.  They also realize that discovery is why Moore won’t dare sue.

No. It would seem if they thought they had solid reporting, they would stand by the story and welcome the lawsuit. They are not. They are threatening further unnamed action if he does sue.

BTW, you always an MSM fan or is this just because it fits your Roy Moore jihad?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 09:56:46 pm »
No. It would seem if they thought they had solid reporting, they would stand by the story and welcome the lawsuit. They are not. They are threatening further unnamed action if he does sue.

You mean like more unnamed sources and bimbos with ethereal stories? Something like that?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 09:59:29 pm »
You mean like more unnamed sources and bimbos with ethereal stories? Something like that?

Whoa!  "Bimbos"?  I keep hearing that we should rush to judge Moore, but it's OK to judge the other individuals?  How does that work?

Silver Pines

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 10:03:39 pm »
@Frank Cannon

Nobody welcomes a lawsuit, Frank.  I don't know how many times people have threatened to sue my inlaws to try and get a payday.  Is going to court your idea of a fun time?

BTW, you always an MSM fan or is this just because it fits your Roy Moore jihad?

Now, see, that's the kind of simple-minded thinking you see at TOS.  I expect better from you.

"Jihad?"

Get this straight, all right?  I'm not going to be cowed or shut up when it comes to posting my opinion about that POS Moore.   Deal with it, or block me.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 10:08:24 pm »
Get this straight, all right?  I'm not going to be cowed or shut up when it comes to posting my opinion about that POS Moore.   Deal with it, or block me.

No, but it sure is easy to get you wound up on these Roy Moore threads. It's fun!

Silver Pines

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 10:10:57 pm »
No, but it sure is easy to get you wound up on these Roy Moore threads. It's fun!

@Frank Cannon

You wouldn't say that if you knew how much I enjoy it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 10:13:44 pm »
Whoa!  "Bimbos"?  I keep hearing that we should rush to judge Moore, but it's OK to judge the other individuals?  How does that work?

Wait. 'Bimbos' was a fine description when it was CRUZ who was being unfairly smeared... How is this even a little bit different?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 10:14:45 pm »
@Frank Cannon

You wouldn't say that if you knew how much I enjoy it.

LOL. What are you a masochist? You are getting pretty upset on some of these threads.

Silver Pines

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 10:21:21 pm »
LOL. What are you a masochist? You are getting pretty upset on some of these threads.

@Frank Cannon

You better check again, lol.  Some of you strong, unflappable males were yelling in caps with exclamation marks...getting kind of agitated.   I guess you only like feisty women when it's all cute and kidding around.

That's okay.  I can handle it.  And if you see a little of my temper, be glad you aren't seeing all of it.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 10:27:34 pm »

That's okay.  I can handle it.  And if you see a little of my temper, be glad you aren't seeing all of it.

Oh? Feel free to give me all you got baby. Cap lock that keyboard and sprinkle punctuation all over the place. 

I can handle it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 10:28:22 pm »
Wait. 'Bimbos' was a fine description when it was CRUZ who was being unfairly smeared... How is this even a little bit different?

No sir, it was not fine. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 10:29:33 pm »
No sir, it was not fine.

Is "Bimbette" OK?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 10:46:01 pm »
Is "Bimbette" OK?

Since it's mild for you, it's ok for you, but no one else.

Silver Pines

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 11:31:11 pm »
Oh? Feel free to give me all you got baby. Cap lock that keyboard and sprinkle punctuation all over the place. 

I can handle it.

@Frank Cannon

Lol

You know what, though, you didn't deserve to be snapped at.  Well---you kind of did, but not that hard.  And I don't want you to block me.

I apologize. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 11:40:47 pm »

That's what happens when government and the media are intertwined and have the same agenda, one and the same.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775