Author Topic: Egypt to construct world’s largest seawater desalination plant  (Read 994 times)

Offline thackney

Egypt to construct world’s largest seawater desalination plant
« on: November 20, 2017, 02:36:38 pm »
Egypt to construct world’s largest seawater desalination plant
http://www.egyptindependent.com/egypt-construct-worlds-largest-seawater-desalination-plant/
November 15, 2017

Egypt is in the process of constructing the largest seawater desalination plant in the world, in the Suez Governorate’s coastal city of Ain Sokhna, revealed the head of the Egyptian Armed Forces Engineering Authority, Kamal El-Wazeir.

In a telephone interview with the privately-owned ON TV, El-Wazeir stated that, once complete, the plant is expected to have the capacity to purify 164,000 cubic meters of seawater each day....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Egypt to construct world’s largest seawater desalination plant
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 02:49:03 pm »
Egypt must have a surplus of natural gas for a long time to justify this.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 02:51:57 pm »

Egypt sets sights on doubling natural gas output by 2020
https://www.reuters.com/article/egypt-gas/update-1-egypt-sets-sights-on-doubling-natural-gas-output-by-2020-idUSL8N1K81KH

and a shortage of fresh water

https://egyptianstreets.com/2017/11/17/egypt-is-building-worlds-largest-seawater-desalination-plant/

...Multiple scientific studies have highlighted that Egypt in recent years has increasingly been suffering from a serious problem with water shortage.

The river Nile’s fresh water is continuously decreasing due to human activity. Uneven distribution of water, inefficient agricultural irrigation techniques and misuse of scarce water resources are some of the reasons the country’s water security is under threat....

...Egypt’s volume of renewable freshwater is just 20 cubic meters per person, a significantly low figure compared to international standards. CAPMAS, the country’s official statistics agency, said in 2014 that since 1947, Egypt’s annual water quota per person has declined by 60 percent. By 2025, the situation is projected to become even worse, with the country facing a situation of “absolute water scarcity”....

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 02:53:55 pm »

Also:

Egypt Clears the Way for Imports of Israeli Natural Gas
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.805845
Aug 09, 2017

After years of delays and uncertainty, Egypt could be on its way to becoming a major market for Israeli natural gas exports after President Abdel Fattah al-Sissi signed legislation on Tuesday forming a gas regulatory authority and permitting private sector companies to import gas.

Egypt, along with Turkey, is one of two regional markets that could buy large quantities of gas from Israel’s Tamar and Leviathan reservoirs, but none of the deals reached in the past have panned out....

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:16:41 pm »
Also:

Egypt Clears the Way for Imports of Israeli Natural Gas
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.805845
Aug 09, 2017

After years of delays and uncertainty, Egypt could be on its way to becoming a major market for Israeli natural gas exports after President Abdel Fattah al-Sissi signed legislation on Tuesday forming a gas regulatory authority and permitting private sector companies to import gas.

Egypt, along with Turkey, is one of two regional markets that could buy large quantities of gas from Israel’s Tamar and Leviathan reservoirs, but none of the deals reached in the past have panned out....
I doubt Egypt could depend upon Israeli gas for decades to come.  Just too much chance of changes in relationships in these diametrically different countries.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline kidd

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 06:40:14 pm »
The article doesn't say why they are doing this.

I don't understand why they need to build an energy intensive desalination plant when the second largest river in the world runs right down the middle of the country.
Its a lot cheaper to provide potable water from a mildly dirty river than to remove salt from seawater.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 06:44:42 pm »

@IsailedawayfromFR

Most of the large scale seawater desalination efforts I've seen depend largely on waste heat from nearby facilities.  Doing it otherwise would be exorbitantly expensive I would think.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 06:45:15 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 09:49:56 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR

Most of the large scale seawater desalination efforts I've seen depend largely on waste heat from nearby facilities.  Doing it otherwise would be exorbitantly expensive I would think.

23 August 2017, source desalination.biz
https://www.desalination.biz/news/0/Egypt-to-invest-in-16-desalination-projects/8825/
Egypt is to build or upgrade 16 desalination plants across five governorates, reports Daily News Egypt.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 10:04:46 pm »
A very large desal plant was completed in Carlsbad CA. A replica is planned up the coast in Huntington Beach CA.

dubbed: "the nation’s largest, most technologically advanced and energy-efficient seawater desalination plant."

Uses most advanced technology which is from Israel, btw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDE_Technologies
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 11:30:30 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR

Waste heat utitlization is a good way to utilize otherwise unproductive energy, but I think the really big ones run on natural gas where supply is plentiful and cheap, such as exists along the Arabian Gulf.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 11:40:08 pm »
A very large desal plant was completed in Carlsbad CA. A replica is planned up the coast in Huntington Beach CA.

dubbed: "the nation’s largest, most technologically advanced and energy-efficient seawater desalination plant."

Uses most advanced technology which is from Israel, btw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDE_Technologies
So not only will California gas remain expensive, but the cost of water will really go sky-high as the facility operates under a take or pay provision that burdens the seller.

Since the plant will increase sailinities into the ocean, look for the enviro-wackos to scream murder.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 11:54:06 pm »
164,000 cubic meters per day = 43,000,000 gallons per day.

That will serve a population of about 250,000 people.

That's a BIG desal treatment plant.  The biggest one in the US can treat 50,000,000 gallons per day.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 12:12:38 am »
So not only will California gas remain expensive, but the cost of water will really go sky-high as the facility operates under a take or pay provision that burdens the seller.

Since the plant will increase sailinities into the ocean, look for the enviro-wackos to scream murder.

The enviro whackos were not able to block the Carlsbad plat, which went into operation in 2015. The largest desal plant in the US.

The other plant is a copy of that one, and has not been reached final approval, eg. the enviro whackos may succeed in blocking it.

I trust the technology is good enough for the "environment," having weathered many false warnings of catastrophe in the past.

I can't predict water prices. If Northern California cooperated, water could be moved to the largely arid South.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 01:02:22 am »
Waste heat utitlization is a good way to utilize otherwise unproductive energy, but I think the really big ones run on natural gas where supply is plentiful and cheap, such as exists along the Arabian Gulf.

I am somewhat familiar with some of those plants along the Arabian Gulf and all use waste heat to the maximum extent possible although they have absolutely no need to do so there for the reason you state.  Copious amounts of gas is still being routinely flared in that region.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 02:51:18 am »
The enviro whackos were not able to block the Carlsbad plat, which went into operation in 2015. The largest desal plant in the US.

The other plant is a copy of that one, and has not been reached final approval, eg. the enviro whackos may succeed in blocking it.

I trust the technology is good enough for the "environment," having weathered many false warnings of catastrophe in the past.

I can't predict water prices. If Northern California cooperated, water could be moved to the largely arid South.
All it takes is a few dead whale carcasses washed ashore.

If these wackos wcan keep America's fleet from using sonar to keep whales from disorientiation, they can sure as hell shut down a desal plant if they think it is killing whales.

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 02:54:12 am »
I am somewhat familiar with some of those plants along the Arabian Gulf and all use waste heat to the maximum extent possible although they have absolutely no need to do so there for the reason you state.  Copious amounts of gas is still being routinely flared in that region.
I didn't follow that line of reasoning.  Are you saying they do not need to worry about wasting heat?

BTW, you may know better, but I thought most desal plants were situated nearby power plants,

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 02:58:35 am »
Found this topic as well.  Seems if one desalinizes, one must be on a very large body of water.
Peak salt: is the desalination dream over for the Gulf states?
The Middle East is home to 70% of the world’s desalination plants, but the more water they process, the less economically viable they become

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2016/sep/29/peak-salt-is-the-desalination-dream-over-for-the-gulf-states

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 03:37:29 am »
I didn't follow that line of reasoning.  Are you saying they do not need to worry about wasting heat?

BTW, you may know better, but I thought most desal plants were situated nearby power plants,

@IsailedawayfromFR

Perhaps i failed to make myself clear enough in my earlier post and no I'm not saying that although that is not the major consideration typically.

Those power plants you mention use gas to fire boilers that generate the superheated steam that run the turbines which drive the generators.  The water used to feed the boilers in that procees is highly purified and very expensive to produce so it is reclaimed to the maximum extent possible. The condensers used to cool down the steam exhausted from those turbines in order to recycle the condensate for reuse as boiler feedwater typically are also flash evaporators that remove salt from seawater. There may also be evaporators directly gas fired as well if there is more demand for fresh water than can be supplied by recapturing waste heat alone.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:44:02 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 03:55:01 am »
The Carlsbad and (planned) Huntington Beach Calif. desal plants are both situated next to major natural gas fired electric generating plants.

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 02:54:40 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR

Perhaps i failed to make myself clear enough in my earlier post and no I'm not saying that although that is not the major consideration typically.

Those power plants you mention use gas to fire boilers that generate the superheated steam that run the turbines which drive the generators.  The water used to feed the boilers in that procees is highly purified and very expensive to produce so it is reclaimed to the maximum extent possible. The condensers used to cool down the steam exhausted from those turbines in order to recycle the condensate for reuse as boiler feedwater typically are also flash evaporators that remove salt from seawater. There may also be evaporators directly gas fired as well if there is more demand for fresh water than can be supplied by recapturing waste heat alone.
Got it.  Your expertise is obviously way over mine in this matter.