Author Topic: Why some Germans look at Syrian refugees and see themselves  (Read 771 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Why some Germans look at Syrian refugees and see themselves
« on: November 19, 2017, 05:42:54 pm »
Between 1944 and 1947, an estimated 12 million ethnic Germans fled or were expelled from their homes. Overshadowed by the crimes of the Nazis, their stories have often received little international attention. But these days, as Bethany Bell reports from Germany, the new arrivals from Syria have awakened old memories about what it means to flee.

Christa Nolte carefully lifted a little book out of a box of family papers.

"This is what my grandmother, Anna, took with her when we fled," she told me. "It was important for her to save it."

It was a pocket-sized Lutheran hymnal, the Silesian Church's Songbook. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/stories-42016634

It doesn't make sense to me, but perhaps sheds some light on the inexplicable national suicide.

Offline dfwgator

Re: Why some Germans look at Syrian refugees and see themselves
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 05:57:39 pm »
Because they're a bunch of dummkopfs.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:12:44 pm »
Germans know they will lose their position as an economic leader unless they get workers in, like the way the Turks immigrated and saved them many decades ago.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 06:43:45 pm »
Germans know they will lose their position as an economic leader unless they get workers in, like the way the Turks immigrated and saved them many decades ago.

Yes, but according to an earlier story, the immigrants have a ZERO percent employment rate.  That doesn't appear to be why there came to Germany.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 09:14:17 pm »
Was töricht diese Deutschen sind!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 09:25:16 pm »
Was töricht diese Deutschen sind!

I do believe the realization of the sad result of their benevolence is finally evident, and Germans, Dutch, Swedes and others are moving to reverse this insanity.

The Turks in the 60s and 70s DID come to work. That generation were not problems, but their offspring and subsequent migrants have been.

The Germans have no further need to exhibit their "white guilt." The Swedes have no further need to parade before the world, about the success of their "neutrality," either.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 09:26:19 pm »
The Germans felt so guilty about the Holocaust, that they let in millions of Muslims who hate the Jews even more than the Nazis did.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 10:05:04 pm »
The Germans felt so guilty about the Holocaust, that they let in millions of Muslims who hate the Jews even more than the Nazis did.

By the 1960s Germany's economy was thriving, and they needed workers. they imported people mainly from the South; namely Portuguese, Greeks, Turks etc.

Noting the Portuguese and Greeks have not turned out to be troublesome, but the following generations of Turks have.

It was called the "Guest worker" program, or "Gastarbeiter" (don't expect me to look up the special characters)

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 10:30:08 pm »
By the 1960s Germany's economy was thriving, and they needed workers. they imported people mainly from the South; namely Portuguese, Greeks, Turks etc.

Noting the Portuguese and Greeks have not turned out to be troublesome, but the following generations of Turks have.

It was called the "Guest worker" program, or "Gastarbeiter" (don't expect me to look up the special characters)

Exactly, the offspring are the problem.  The original immigrants tend to be thankful for the opportunity given to escape their hellholes.  Their offspring don't grow up with that same appreciation.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 10:54:59 pm »
Yes, but according to an earlier story, the immigrants have a ZERO percent employment rate.  That doesn't appear to be why there came to Germany.

Agreed.  The Germans miscalculated.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn