Author Topic: Rural Americans say everyday life hurt by slow internet  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Blizzardnh

Rural Americans say everyday life hurt by slow internet
« on: November 19, 2017, 12:18:57 pm »
Officials are calling it a "big digital divide” between rural communities and urban areas. Many towns across the United States still don't have the option to have high-speed Internet, and officials say they're at risk for being stuck on slow Internet for longer than expected.

“What was acceptable in terms of speed and quantity is just no longer appropriate,” Pennsylvania Public Utility Commissioner David Sweet told Fox News. “[The issue] is widespread throughout the United States.”

Some small-town residents say it’s nearly impossible to do simple tasks like check email and stream videos. Eric Pelka, a post office employee in Julian, Pa., told Fox News at times they had to turn seven to eight people away a day because of poor Internet connection.

"We couldn’t accept any credit cards without the Internet,” Pelka said about customers trying to purchase stamps and other products. "Those seven to eight people a day I turned away, that’s revenue for this office that could help keep it afloat. Just wasn’t here because I couldn’t charge them”.

more/

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/11/17/rural-americans-cant-check-email-or-use-credit-cards-because-slow-internet-officials-say.html

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Rural Americans say everyday life hurt by slow internet
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 01:12:28 pm »
Part of the charm of rural Pennsylvania is dirt roads, outdoor plumbing and a 56k internet connection.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 01:38:13 pm »
Ridiculous.

People pimping "free" internet for all say life hurt by slow internet.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 01:40:44 pm »
Image result for slow loading websites
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 07:56:48 pm »
If the business is losing revenue, then it’s in the business owners interest to pay to have the network upgraded.  No need for welfare handouts. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:11:39 am »
See, people in rural areas have to go without some things. YOu know why? Because if they didn't go without, people would move in and it would cease to be rural. That's why there aren't as many jobs in rural areas. If there were plentiful jobs, people would move in and it would no longer be rural.