Author Topic: David Cassidy hospitalized with organ failure, needs liver transplant  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Applewood

David Cassidy has been hospitalized for organ failure and is in need of a liver transplant, a close family friend said Saturday.

The 67-year-old "Partridge Family" star was rushed to a hospital on Wednesday, and is conscious and surrounded by loved ones, publicist Jo-Ann Geffen told NBC News. According to reports, he is being treated in Florida.

Earlier this year, Cassidy revealed that he was battling dementia and could no longer perform following a concert in California. According to reports, he was having trouble remembering the lyrics to songs he has been singing for 50 years.

Cassidy told People Magazine that he saw his grandfather live with dementia and had also seen his mother, the actress Evelyn Ward, "disappear" into dementia until she died at age 89 in 2012.

"I was in denial," Cassidy said, "but a part of me always knew this was coming."

Read more at:

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/david-cassidy-hospitalized-organ-failure-needs-liver-transplant-n822121

Offline musiclady

Re: David Cassidy hospitalized with organ failure, needs liver transplant
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 12:08:49 am »
I can't remember about David............  drugs?  alcohol?   both?

He's younger than I am!   :shrug:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 12:24:31 am »
I can't remember about David............  drugs?  alcohol?   both?

He's younger than I am!   :shrug:

Alcohol is all I know of.  His father, Jack Cassidy, was an alcoholic too.  In fact, Jack Cassidy died in a fire when -- drunk -- he fell asleep while smoking. 

It's a shame.  Two talented individuals ruined by alcoholism.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 12:58:57 am »
Alcohol is all I know of.  His father, Jack Cassidy, was an alcoholic too.  In fact, Jack Cassidy died in a fire when -- drunk -- he fell asleep while smoking. 

It's a shame.  Two talented individuals ruined by alcoholism.

Oh, yeah......... I had forgotten how Jack died!

What a sad legacy to pass on.....    **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:58:15 am »
I had seen him on Hallmark's "Home and Family" and was thinking that something was wrong with him. He messed up the words to the song. I never watched the "Partridge Family" and was never a fan of his, so I didn't know if he was just a strange bird. Two or three weeks after his appearance on that show, it came out that he was battling dementia and was going to have to stop performing. I also heard or read when this news came out that some dementias are brought on by heavy substance usage and remember that it was speculated that that was probably a contributing factor in Glen Campbell's Alzheimer's.

This is David Cassidy's appearance on "The Doctors."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piU-OHrlG80

Prayers for David and his loved ones.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 12:31:00 pm »
RIP David. News this morning is that he passed away overnight.     
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 12:49:35 pm »
David Cassidy, '70s teen heartthrob, dies at age 67
CNN, Nov 22, 2017, Lisa Respers France

David Cassidy, who came to fame as a '70s teen heartthrob and lead singer on "The Partridge Family," has died, according to his publicist Jo-Ann Geffen. He was 67.

The singer-actor had recently been admitted to the intensive care unit of a Fort Lauderdale, Florida, area hospital. Cassidy was in critical condition and suffering from organ failure before his death Tuesday, Geffen said.

"David died surrounded by those he loved, with joy in his heart and free from the pain that had gripped him for so long. Thank you for the abundance and support you have shown him these many years," she said.

Cassidy's nephew, Jack Cassidy, tweeted about his uncle's death, saying "I can't help but thank God for the joy that he brought to countless millions of people."

More: http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/21/entertainment/david-cassidy-dies/index.html

debrawiest

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 01:36:47 pm by debrawiest »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 07:26:23 pm »
The influence that show had over us 70s kids was just crazy. Look at my 1973 Junior High yearbook you will see nearly everyone of us guys sported the David Cassidy Haircut - and that's what we asked for at the barber.   
Laurie Partridge (Susan Dey) had teen girls asking mom if they could have braces whether they needed them or not- because Laurie made them a fashion statement instead of something ugly  - she looking so damn good in them.

RIP David.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 07:30:55 pm »
The influence that show had over us 70s kids was just crazy. Look at my 1973 Junior High yearbook you will see nearly everyone of us guys sported the David Cassidy Haircut - and that's what we asked for at the barber.   
Laurie Partridge (Susan Dey) had teen girls asking mom if they could have braces whether they needed them or not- because Laurie made them a fashion statement instead of something ugly  - she looking so damn good in them.

RIP David.

We 12 year olds figured we were way too cool for the Partridge Family back then but annoying half top sweaters and mullet aside there was always something really likable about the guy.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 07:40:19 pm »
We 12 year olds figured we were way too cool for the Partridge Family back then but annoying half top sweaters and mullet aside there was always something really likable about the guy.

He had a shag, not a mullet.  A mullet was a later phenomenon. 

Sometimes there was a fine line, though.

The definitive mullet:

whereas, Joan Jett had a shag:

And, it goes without saying that you were too cool for a mullet.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:41:11 pm by Sanguine »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 07:43:34 pm »

The "mullet" was much different being short at the front and sides and long in the back, and it became popular about 10 years later. The "David Cassidy" was also known as the "shag"  should not be confused with a mullet.   

Oh God, are we talking hair styles?   What the hell!   

WARNING... testosterone levels dropping - TAKE ACTION NOW

See that Bears game last week?   Hell of a game. Hell of a game.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 07:53:21 pm »
The "mullet" was much different being short at the front and sides and long in the back, and it became popular about 10 years later. The "David Cassidy" was also known as the "shag"  should not be confused with a mullet.   

Oh God, are we talking hair styles?   What the hell!   

WARNING... testosterone levels dropping - TAKE ACTION NOW

See that Bears game last week?   Hell of a game. Hell of a game.

And, I even posted photos.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 07:58:14 pm »
Cassidy was cited in 2014 for his 3rd DUI.

So it appears he used substances heavily until near the present.

So is his, the same type of dementia, as somebody that did not abuse substances?

Or is "dementia" a convenient non-judgmental term to use, in lieu of simply and honestly saying they drank/drugged themselves into early, mental problems?

In the case of "homeless," there is much talk of them being "mentally ill."

Again, is that a convenient non-judgmental depiction for having drank-drugged themselves into mental illness?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline skeeter

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 07:59:18 pm »
He had a shag, not a mullet.  A mullet was a later phenomenon. 

Sometimes there was a fine line, though.

The definitive mullet:

whereas, Joan Jett had a shag:

And, it goes without saying that you were too cool for a mullet.

@Sanguine
@NavyCanDo

LOL I'd forgotten the term "shag".

It means something else these days. That ought to help rebalance the hormones.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:01:22 pm by skeeter »