Author Topic: Top general says he would resist "illegal" nuke order from Trump  (Read 3276 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Top general says he would resist "illegal" nuke order from Trump
« on: November 18, 2017, 06:51:21 pm »
 By Kathryn Watson CBS News November 18, 2017, 11:26 AM
Top general says he would resist "illegal" nuke order from Trump

Last Updated Nov 18, 2017 12:10 PM EST

The top U.S. nuclear commander said Saturday he would push back against President Trump if he ordered a nuclear launch the general believed to be "illegal," saying he would hope to find another solution.

Air Force Gen. John Hyten, commander of the U.S. Strategic Command (STRATCOM), told an audience at the Halifax International Security Forum in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Saturday that he has given a lot of thought to what he would say if Mr. Trump ordered a strike he considered unlawful.

more
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-strategic-command-gen-john-hyten-resist-illegal-nuke-order-from-trump/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Top general says he would resist "illegal" nuke order from Trump
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 06:56:11 pm »
Illegal or offends his liberal sensibilities?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 07:20:46 pm »
I read yesterday, if Trump puts in the strike command in the black box that is with him all the time, the nuclear launch would happen in FOUR MINUTES.  That is not long for this general to stop it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 08:32:53 pm »
A General who says he intends to disobey one of the most important direct orders a President can give needs to be fired, yesterday.  Especially when he makes this announcement on foreign soil.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 08:39:09 pm »
I hope that a general who has reservations about the legality of an order to launch nukes would question that order and seek assurances from the president that the order is legal. 

That is part of the duty and responsibility of a senior officer, and the “I was just following orders” excuse hasn’t been a valid excuse at least since Nuremberg, if not before.   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 08:51:48 pm »
I hope that a general who has reservations about the legality of an order to launch nukes would question that order and seek assurances from the president that the order is legal. 

That is part of the duty and responsibility of a senior officer, and the “I was just following orders” excuse hasn’t been a valid excuse at least since Nuremberg, if not before.

Seems like a balanced view of things.  It's also a good excuse to gum up the chain of command to ensure that order never comes.  Just like everything else we've seen from the bureaucrats who really run the DeeCee show since January.

Brings up the question:  Who runs the military these days?  Is the President really CiC?  The question goes back a couple of Presidents, it's not a "Trump thing."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 09:02:08 pm »
And this subversive Commie still has his job why?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 09:06:21 pm »
Whodat?
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 09:12:37 pm »
Agenda driven journalistic hit piece.  Implies that Trump alone, would issue an illegal order.

For how many pages will his detractors here, go on and on, about this?

Does anybody know the exact procedure followed when President Truman authorized the ONLY use of nuclear bombs?

Simple question. Yes or No.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 10:42:31 pm »

The General mentions this in the interview.

I do think it is unwise for a top ranking officer making these public statements..this isn't the military I grew up in or been apart the last 42 years.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 10:48:01 pm »

I do think it is unwise for a top ranking officer making these public statements..this isn't the military I grew up in or been apart the last 42 years.

I agree.  This sort of thing raises a doubt in the minds of the enemy, and that's dangerous.  Wars have been started because the enemy doubted our resolve.  Korea and Iraq (1991) are examples.
I will NOT comply.

rangerrebew

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 09:42:44 am »
There is another possibility - disinformation for Kim Dung Un.  Just saying -

Offline Major Confusion

• If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 10:08:57 am »

Agreed.  The oath of office deliberately does not include the clause about obeying the orders of the President. It's an officer's duty to not obey an illegal order, but if you go down that route, you better be right.  And any order that comes from the President is assumed to be legal unless proven otherwise.
If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 01:46:08 am »
A General who says he intends to disobey one of the most important direct orders a President can give needs to be fired, yesterday.  Especially when he makes this announcement on foreign soil.
Yep. MAD can't work if they think you won't pull the trigger when the time comes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 10:08:44 am »
Note the "illegal" qualifier. You have no duty to follow an unlawful order I believe. Of course, liberals are jumping with delight with the headlines that a general would disobey an order from Trump, but they did this with Bush too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 02:10:00 pm »
Note the "illegal" qualifier. You have no duty to follow an unlawful order I believe. Of course, liberals are jumping with delight with the headlines that a general would disobey an order from Trump, but they did this with Bush too.

So what happens if you have an Obama General who's decided that all nuclear weapons are "illegal?"
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 02:19:54 pm »

Making this statement publically will soon make him an EX General IMHO!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 02:27:54 pm »
Making this statement publically will soon make him an EX General IMHO!

It should, but will it?
I will NOT comply.

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 02:33:28 pm »
So what happens if you have an Obama General who's decided that all nuclear weapons are "illegal?"

Obviously he'd be court martialed. Hopefully we'd have sane judges in there.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2017, 02:35:08 pm »
Obviously he'd be court martialed. Hopefully we'd have sane judges in there.

Sure.  In which smouldering ruin of a city would you hold it if the refusal to order leads to a breakdown in MAD?  Yours?
I will NOT comply.

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 02:45:18 pm »
Sure.  In which smouldering ruin of a city would you hold it if the refusal to order leads to a breakdown in MAD?  Yours?

How would you compel him to give the order? obviously he'd be relieved of duty and replaced. Fact is that Generals don't have much power when it comes to the president.

Of course the next general could refuse as well.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 02:53:33 pm »
How would you compel him to give the order? obviously he'd be relieved of duty and replaced. Fact is that Generals don't have much power when it comes to the president.

Of course the next general could refuse as well.

I suppose you would do it the same way you make sure the guys in the silos turn their keys like they're supposed to:  Run drills to weed out the ones who would refuse their legal orders.  Sure as Hell can't wait until a live legal Presidential order gets refused.  Too much at stake.
I will NOT comply.

• Technical
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 02:58:30 pm »
I suppose you would do it the same way you make sure the guys in the silos turn their keys like they're supposed to:  Run drills to weed out the ones who would refuse their legal orders.  Sure as Hell can't wait until a live legal Presidential order gets refused.  Too much at stake.

The general would not be the one in silos turning the keys.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 03:03:03 pm »

@Cyber Liberty
His exec would shoot him and then follow the Presidents orders.

The better question is; 'What if worms had machine guns?    Then birds wouldnt mess with em.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 03:05:43 pm »
He never said this.  It is fake news.

What General Hyten really said

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/11/what_general_hyten_emreallyem_said.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington