Author Topic: Adopting a Dog Could Lengthen Your Life  (Read 1205 times)

rangerrebew

Adopting a Dog Could Lengthen Your Life
« on: November 18, 2017, 01:05:38 pm »

Adopting a Dog Could Lengthen Your Life

By Robert Preidt

HealthDay Reporter

FRIDAY, Nov. 17, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- Here's to keeping your health on a tight leash: New research suggests that having a dog might boost a single person's life span.

The study tracked more than 3.4 million Swedes, middle-aged and older, for 12 years. All were free of heart disease at the beginning of the study.

https://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/news/20171117/adopting-a-dog-could-lengthen-your-life

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 03:55:04 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Re: Adopting a Dog Could Lengthen Your Life
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 04:14:11 pm »
Please let me know if you want to be added to the puppy or kitty ping lists
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:15:32 pm by Freya »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 04:17:08 pm »
I have two.  Ought to have quite a few years left.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 04:35:57 pm »
Whether you're single or married, dogs add so much to a human life.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 04:45:04 pm »
Whether you're single or married, dogs add so much to a human life.

So do kitties.  But you can't walk them, really.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 09:18:19 pm »
I've been trying to (gently) talk Mr. M into getting a pup, but he doesn't want doggy toenails scratching the wood floors.  :nometalk:
Perhaps I should show him this.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 10:09:34 pm »
I've been trying to (gently) talk Mr. M into getting a pup, but he doesn't want doggy toenails scratching the wood floors.  :nometalk:

Yes, a puppy for the holidays!

@Hopalong Ginsberg I ❤️The cat scan!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 10:13:10 pm »
I have two.  Ought to have quite a few years left.

I have a pair of Bostons.

My son, who recently moved back home, has one too.

And my daughter, who owns a cat, is still at home.

I'm gonna be gol-durned Methuselah.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:24:14 pm by skeeter »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 10:42:38 pm »

True.  But my first cat, Peaches, loved to be chased.  Chasing a cat around is good exercise for the heart.  88888walking kitty

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 10:44:11 pm »

But, if you keep their nails clipped, they don't even click on the floor.  Petsmart will let you drop in and they do it cheap.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 12:23:40 am »
Freya wrote:
"So do kitties.  But you can't walk them, really."

My sister brought home a cat she found outside the barn. It was about 6-9 months old, had most of its tail cut or bitten off (still raw), and one ear was "clipped". In time, the tail healed up.

The sister didn't want the cat to go outside, but the cat persisted, so I first got a "cat harness" and took it out on the porch now and then.

Now, I take the cat out without the harness. She seems to know where to go (at least most of the time), and it's not really too hard to get her headed back inside. Most of the time she wants to chew on some grass or head for the backyard to chase birds and squirrels at the bird feeder. A more recent routine is to go to the cellar door outside, and then to the cellar stairs. Then I close the outside cellar door, go back in the house, go downstairs, open the door at the bottom of the stairs, and let her back in.

Offline Hopalong Ginsberg

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 02:19:45 am »
True.  But my first cat, Peaches, loved to be chased.  Chasing a cat around is good exercise for the heart.  88888walking kitty

That explains it - my cats aren't insolent troublemakers; they want me to have a healthy heart.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 02:29:19 am »
That explains it - my cats aren't insolent troublemakers; they want me to have a healthy heart.

888heartkitty

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 02:29:54 am by ConstitutionRose »
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 02:31:06 am »
To go with your lab report, a cat scan:

I had a cat who always slept on the printer in the office.  You had to check before you printed.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 06:35:33 am »
Kind of depends on the size of the kitty.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 09:39:09 am »
Ah! You found my liger!  888catlicking

Offline verga

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 01:04:31 pm »
@mountaineer please consider a rescue group and if possible an adult or "older" dog. We are doing fostering and there are so many that desperately need good loving homes.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 01:16:57 pm »
I'd love to, @verga. Maybe someday!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 03:12:48 pm »
@mountaineer please consider a rescue group and if possible an adult or "older" dog. We are doing fostering and there are so many that desperately need good loving homes.

What kind do you foster?

Offline verga

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 04:30:32 pm »
What kind do you foster?
@Sanguine We mainly get the ones that have had either physical or mental/emotional trauma.
We took Raimo (cocker poodle mix) as a respite care for a friend of ours that was fostering him while she went to visit her children in California for a month. He is Blind and epileptic. I fell in love with him and we ended up adopting him. Our next was another cocker poodle mix named Sassy. The husband had adopted the dog 10 years ago and passed away two years ago, the wife passed away last year. The Sassy was lost with out the husband and became a bit depressed, when the wife passed away she was completely lost would not eat or drink for almost a week. We showered her with affection and spoiled her rotten and got her back to being a very happy dog. The first people to look at her took her.

Next we had Cybil (10 years old) and Merlin (8 years old) They were Bichons the owner committed suicide and the dogs were left alone for 4 days with no food or water and a dead body. Cibby would not come out of the corner for 3 days I had to carry the food to her. Merlin would not let me near her at first he was very protective. Cibby had to have all her teeth removed. They also were adopted by the first people to view them.

They we got Sophie, she had been abandoned by the side of the road and was a terrier mix. She was the only relatively unscatehd one we had.She did have some trust issues but cuddling my wife took care of that. Then we got Averie. She was  a pure bred mutt. She had been surrendered because the owners were moving and didn't want to take her. she had been with them for 4 years She is a Fiest Jack russell mix. Also needed a lot of cuddling, this time from me.

Next we got Levi He was less than a year old and was dropped off at a kill shelter because he was too small. He is a Chi mix. What were they expecting a lab size dog. We had him for about 2 weeks and woman took him and returned him the next week. She claimed he was aggressive to her German shepherd and he golden lab. This dog didn't have an aggressive bone in his body. He would grab my finger and hold it in his mouth and shake his head playing with me, but was never aggressive to our dogs. We had him for another two weeks and he got adopted again this time for good.

Next we had Trixie and Manny They were also Chis Trixie weighed about 15 lbs when we got her and had to put her on a strict diet. She could only walk about 15-20 yards before she began to wheeze. They were a bonded pair and were adopted together by a woman that is a Licensed vet technician and her husband.

Now we Bonita Bella (BB for short) She lived in a rabbit hutch 4 feet off the ground for about 12 years. She was a breeder dog. She is a Beagle Never given love or affection of any kind, just used to produce puppies for a mill. She has a inguinal hernia, mammary masses and needs to have a bunch of teeth removed. She is slowly coming around and starting to seek affection.     
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 04:45:07 pm »
@Sanguine We mainly get the ones that have had either physical or mental/emotional trauma.

That's wonderful of you, Verga! 

I fostered MinPins for quite a while, but don't spend enough time at home right now to continue.  That may change in the future. 

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 06:35:03 am »
We took Raimo (cocker poodle mix) as a respite care for a friend of ours that was fostering him while she went to visit her children in California for a month. He is Blind and epileptic. I fell in love with him and we ended up adopting him. Our next was another cocker poodle mix named Sassy. The husband had adopted the dog 10 years ago and passed away two years ago, the wife passed away last year. The Sassy was lost with out the husband and became a bit depressed, when the wife passed away she was completely lost would not eat or drink for almost a week. We showered her with affection and spoiled her rotten and got her back to being a very happy dog. The first people to look at her took her.

Next we had Cybil (10 years old) and Merlin (8 years old) They were Bichons the owner committed suicide and the dogs were left alone for 4 days with no food or water and a dead body. Cibby would not come out of the corner for 3 days I had to carry the food to her. Merlin would not let me near her at first he was very protective. Cibby had to have all her teeth removed. They also were adopted by the first people to view them.

They we got Sophie, she had been abandoned by the side of the road and was a terrier mix. She was the only relatively unscatehd one we had.She did have some trust issues but cuddling my wife took care of that. Then we got Averie. She was  a pure bred mutt. She had been surrendered because the owners were moving and didn't want to take her. she had been with them for 4 years She is a Fiest Jack russell mix. Also needed a lot of cuddling, this time from me.

Next we got Levi He was less than a year old and was dropped off at a kill shelter because he was too small. He is a Chi mix. What were they expecting a lab size dog. We had him for about 2 weeks and woman took him and returned him the next week. She claimed he was aggressive to her German shepherd and he golden lab. This dog didn't have an aggressive bone in his body. He would grab my finger and hold it in his mouth and shake his head playing with me, but was never aggressive to our dogs. We had him for another two weeks and he got adopted again this time for good.

Next we had Trixie and Manny They were also Chis Trixie weighed about 15 lbs when we got her and had to put her on a strict diet. She could only walk about 15-20 yards before she began to wheeze. They were a bonded pair and were adopted together by a woman that is a Licensed vet technician and her husband.

Now we Bonita Bella (BB for short) She lived in a rabbit hutch 4 feet off the ground for about 12 years. She was a breeder dog. She is a Beagle Never given love or affection of any kind, just used to produce puppies for a mill. She has a inguinal hernia, mammary masses and needs to have a bunch of teeth removed. She is slowly coming around and starting to seek affection.   

@verga You are my hero!!!

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.