Author Topic: 'No One Is Coming'; Hospice Patients Abandoned At Death's Door  (Read 1361 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
'No One Is Coming'; Hospice Patients Abandoned At Death's Door
« on: November 17, 2017, 01:27:18 pm »
Kaiser Health News
By JoNel Aleccia and Melissa Bailey

[excerpt]

https://khn.org/news/no-one-is-coming-hospice-patients-abandoned-at-deaths-door/

WASILLA, Alaska — As her husband lay moaning in pain from the cancer riddling his body, Patricia Martin searched frantically through his medical bag, looking for a syringe.

She had already called the hospice twice, demanding liquid methadone to ease the agony of Dr. Robert Martin, 66. A family practice physician known to everyone as “Dr. Bob,” he had served this small, remote community for more than 30 years.

But the doctor in charge at Mat-Su Regional Home Health & Hospice wasn’t responding. Staff said he was on vacation, then that he was asleep. Martin had waited four days to get pain pills delivered, but her husband could no longer swallow them. Now, they said, she should just crush the drugs herself, mix them with water and squirt the mixture into his mouth. That’s why she needed the syringe.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: 'No One Is Coming'; Hospice Patients Abandoned At Death's Door
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 05:14:11 pm »
Hospice helped with both of my parents.  Did a wonderful job, but I am sure that is not so in every instance. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 05:25:02 pm »
Maybe Wasilla is different, but any pet supply store will have feeding/dosing syringes.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 05:31:18 pm »
I thought this was strange that a service you pay for was handled like this and then I got to the meat of the story.....

Hospice is available through Medicare to critically ill patients expected to die within six months who agree to forgo further curative treatment.

Oh no. Effing people relying on the Govt' are upset that it doesn't work. Too bad Welfare Queens. If your loved ones life and death matters to you, find your wallet. This woman whining appears to live in a very nice house by AK standards.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 12:03:17 am »
I thought this was strange that a service you pay for was handled like this and then I got to the meat of the story.....

Hospice is available through Medicare to critically ill patients expected to die within six months who agree to forgo further curative treatment.

Oh no. Effing people relying on the Govt' are upset that it doesn't work. Too bad Welfare Queens. If your loved ones life and death matters to you, find your wallet. This woman whining appears to live in a very nice house by AK standards.

@Frank Cannon

Hi Frank.

Centers for Medicare disburses over a Trillion dollars a year, and yeah, depending on Grubbermint to run Anything is a fool's gambit.

But the continuing onslaught of jackass 'Reforms' tacked onto the price of Government Provided Healthcare by such as Teddy Kennedy has driven the prices of Medical Work for individuals into the stratosphere.

It's become Virtual Unobtainium for far too many people.

Having said that,

My mother passed away from cancer almost 5 years ago.

Her Doc misdiagnosed her when he Could have corrected it and sold her pills for his misdiagnosis that severly impaired the remaining year of her 'quality of life' as her cancer progressed.

When she finally got the correct diagnosis, the news of her impending death was delivered to her by an MD doing a friggin' Yogi Bear impression. "Well, Look at the Bright Side, you've had a pretty good run, for your age," yada yada yada. Then the SOB had the nerve to look Me in the eye and ask, "Are You Alright With This?"

Next, Hospice got Involved with me as her End of Life Caregiver.

About 2 months later, as she's lying in a rented hospital bed at home, non-responsive and barely breathing, Hospice shows up and So Help Me God, their exact words, "Don't worry, She's In The Comfort Zone." After I asked them about an IV to hydrate her.

Aside from the few eyedropper bits I could get onto her tongue in that state, (so she wouldn't choke on it swallowing it), thanks to Hospice, she went the final 9 days of her life without fluids.

Comfort Zone my Azz.

That's death by dehydration, which is an absolutely horrific death no matter what else is ailing you.

Next came the funeral home to pick her up.

In the 10 minutes I spent saying my final goodbyes to her, the pair They sent to pick her up pocketed a prescription bottle of her narcotic pain pills.

The funeral home sent junkies and thieves to pick up my deceased mother.

At the church for her funeral I told the Minister about the Funeral Home, and This overfed bunny rabbit looks me in the eye and says, "I'm sorry that happened. Have you considered calling the Police?"

There are 2 Funeral Homes in my town of just under a hundred thousand. And the Police are going to Give A S**t, with the Taxes THEY pay at $8K and up per body?

At the end of the service, this 'Minister' exits the church almost On the Funeral Home Director's arm, laughing away like the bosom buddies they are.

After the Funeral Home Screws It Up at the Cemetery, They tried to charge my family as almost another thousand bucks for Overtime Rental on the awning and folding chairs at the grave site.

So forgive me Frank, but blaming the dying patient's family is a bit shortsighted from my perspective, no matter how much they can afford, or not. It's the Trust factor that Govt has built into the system that's the evil.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:12:01 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 12:16:36 am »
Medicare is for people who worked, isn't it? Medicaid is your welfare queen coverage, I believe.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 12:40:51 am »
Medicare is for people who worked, isn't it? Medicaid is your welfare queen coverage, I believe.

In essence, yes. Medicaid is predicated upon earnings, and at least in my State, both are available concurrently to people with a low enough income.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 01:44:04 am »
No experience with hospice ... yet.

A friend's father went to hospice, and he did not have kind words to say about his dad's experience.

As for me, I'd prefer something like the "going home" center in the movie "Soylent Green", which was derived from Kurt Vonnegut's "ethical suicide parlors" in the short story "Welcome to the Monkey House"...

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 03:33:58 am »
No experience with hospice ... yet.

A friend's father went to hospice, and he did not have kind words to say about his dad's experience.

As for me, I'd prefer something like the "going home" center in the movie "Soylent Green", which was derived from Kurt Vonnegut's "ethical suicide parlors" in the short story "Welcome to the Monkey House"...

Not to make lite of it, BUT:

I could be wrong, haven't seen the film in 20 years,

Wasn't that service in Soylent Green also provided by Government?