Author Topic: Rising inequality charted across millennia  (Read 485 times)

rangerrebew

Rising inequality charted across millennia
« on: November 16, 2017, 02:23:16 pm »
Rising inequality charted across millennia
Findings have profound implications for contemporary society

Date:
    November 15, 2017
Source:
    Washington State University
Summary:
    Researchers have found that the arc of prehistory bends towards economic inequality. In the largest study of its kind, the researchers saw disparities in wealth mount with the rise of agriculture, specifically the domestication of plants and large animals, and increased social organization.
Share:

FULL STORY

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/11/171115130853.htm

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Rising inequality charted across millennia
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:31:52 pm »
Yes, because we must have equality at all costs, even if it means we're all destitute 'noble savages.'

I wonder if the book looks at that though there may be inequality in more advanced societies, the lowest may still be better off then that nomadic hunter-gatherer was at the greatest of times.

Probably not. Sounds like the book was written to fit an agenda.
The Republic is lost.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Rising inequality charted across millennia
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 03:48:35 pm »
So, as the opportunities to amass greater wealth increase, some people do so?  Gee, didn't see that coming.

One thing these articles never seem to discuss is why income inequality is such a good thing.  Once upon a time, I worked minimum wage jobs.  Later in life after college and some practical experience I made pretty good money.  If there was no income inequality I would not have been able to move up through hard work and education.  The low wage jobs "gave" me the money I needed to fund my progress and helped build a strong work ethic.  The higher wage jobs gave me the money I needed to live on, and a reason to advance myself (and provided a lot of tax dollars to pay for things that people in their low wage stage couldn't).

Of course, some people choose not to move up.  They are no worse off because some of us do, actually they're probably better off (not a lot of poor people providing those low wage jobs).  Articles like this one seem to imply that everyone is stuck in one "class" or another -- the rich get richer and all that -- which is nonsense.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.