Author Topic: The Nature of Military Doctrine: A Decade of Study in 1500 Words  (Read 326 times)

rangerrebew

The Nature of Military Doctrine: A Decade of Study in 1500 Words
« on: November 16, 2017, 10:42:30 am »

The Nature of Military Doctrine: A Decade of Study in 1500 Words
By Aaron P. Jackson
November 15, 2017

After writing a doctoral dissertation examining the relationship between doctrine, strategic policy and military culture; then working as a doctrine developer for almost seven years while concurrently authoring a dozen books, monographs and peer-reviewed journal articles about doctrine, I am finally bold enough to assert that I may know a little bit about it. Recently, my research focus has moved on to other, albeit related, topics. When musing over this change in focus with a colleague, they challenged me to summarize my thoughts about doctrine in a thousand words. Specifically, they said I’m too verbose and therefore wouldn’t be able to do it...

…and they were right! So, what follows is 1,500 words summarizing  what I have learned about the nature of military doctrine over the past decade.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2017/11/15/the_nature_of_military_doctrine_a_decade_of_study_in_1500_words_112638.html