Author Topic: Long Before Assault Allegations, Roy Moore Betrayed Conservatism: He was Not a Conservative to Begin with  (Read 5530 times)

Online roamer_1

Exactly, I have wrote in candidates for the President going on 3 elections now. If proven against Moore, I know how to write in someone else.

That's right - Me too.

Online roamer_1

Why should I believe the manager who didn’t even work there at the time and who qualified his statement because he isn’t sure?

@CatherineofAragon
Because being unsure of forty year old memories sounds a helluva lot more true than folks speaking with uncanny recollection, that far past.

Silver Pines

@CatherineofAragon
Because being unsure of forty year old memories sounds a helluva lot more true than folks speaking with uncanny recollection, that far past.

@roamer_1

Disagree.  This guy is fishing.  The rest of them would certainly remember a DA being banned from the mall, unless they're all senile.

Offline musiclady

@CatherineofAragon

There goes the "if it's 40 years ago, it can't be remembered" stuff again.

Our oldest daughter was born 38 years ago, and I remember it like yesterday.

BIG things stick in your head.  Being assaulted is a BIG thing.

You can dismiss her memory if you want, but there is no factual accuracy in your doing so.

You can't draw any truthful conclusions based on the 40 year assumption you're making.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe

Yes, it is.  I read it earlier, and I just read it again.

https://www.snopes.com/2017/11/17/roy-moore-banned-mall-harassing-teen-girls/
@CatherineofAragon Thank You. That link works, the one in post 57 did not and produced This and still does as of this posting.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

There goes the "if it's 40 years ago, it can't be remembered" stuff again.

Our oldest daughter was born 38 years ago, and I remember it like yesterday.

BIG things stick in your head.  Being assaulted is a BIG thing.

You can dismiss her memory if you want, but there is no factual accuracy in your doing so.

You can't draw any truthful conclusions based on the 40 year assumption you're making.

@musiclady

I am not talking about the accusers. I am talking about the salacious gossip in support of him being banned from the mall.
I sure as hell wouldn't remember an ADA being banned from a mall forty years ago, and certainly not with the specificity these people seem to be blessed with.

I CAN, however, lean pretty heavily on the statements of management and security from that era, because they would have looked at his picture daily on the banned list - And no doubt recall an ADA trying to get permission to be allowed back into the mall at several occasions.

That's how banned lists work. I know from experience.

Offline Smokin Joe

@CatherineofAragon Thank You. That link works, the one in post 57 did not and produced This and still does as of this posting.
Okay, I followed snopes to a New Yorker article https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/locals-were-troubled-by-roy-moores-interactions-with-teen-girls-at-the-gadsden-mall and followed that to the last source in the line: https://www.newamericanjournal.net/2017/11/politics-makes-strange-bedfellows-but-jesus-not-this/ which state unequivocally that
BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me Moore was actually banned from the Gadsden Mall and the YMCA for his inappropriate behavior of soliciting sex from young girls. If Moore keeps lying, that story will soon come out in a big way too.

Meh, those pesky "sources" again.

Of course there is a prominent Doug Jones ad in the right sidebar.
Read his comments to the one person who had the temerity to disagree with the writer.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

@musiclady

I am not talking about the accusers. I am talking about the salacious gossip in support of him being banned from the mall.
I sure as hell wouldn't remember an ADA being banned from a mall forty years ago, and certainly not with the specificity these people seem to be blessed with.

I CAN, however, lean pretty heavily on the statements of management and security from that era, because they would have looked at his picture daily on the banned list - And no doubt recall an ADA trying to get permission to be allowed back into the mall at several occasions.

That's how banned lists work. I know from experience.

Gotcha!   Sorry about that!

(I've just seen that 40 year stuff bandied about so much as some sort of proof, that I reacted to it without reading thoroughly).

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1

Disagree.  This guy is fishing.  The rest of them would certainly remember a DA being banned from the mall, unless they're all senile.

@CatherineofAragon

Riiight. the guy who undoubtedly is THE guy he'd have to go to, at an eyeball sit-down meeting, to be taken off the banned list is not going to recall banning him or letting him back in, but some record store guy, incidental to any procedure does.

That's just not credible.

Offline Smokin Joe

Gotcha!   Sorry about that!

(I've just seen that 40 year stuff bandied about so much as some sort of proof, that I reacted to it without reading thoroughly).
The relevance of the 40 years isn't that the memories might be flawed (although that could go either way), but that through multiple political campaigns and over 4 decades this hasn't been brought up.
While certainly odd, I do not see it as proof either way.

Memories that old are a funny thing. Some are crisp and clear, usually because a great deal of adrenaline was involved. I have some like that, and there are other, more mundane events I have little recollection of. Some things just don't stand out. But I have heard people relate events from our mutual past to me and the accounts are not the same as my recollections (even if they placed me in a better light than my own recollection of events).
So, even individual memories are not completely reliable in all cases, any more than eyewitness testimony, those memories can be altered from initial perception, being re-remembered/retold in slightly different iterations, even discussion with others which might cause a story to be remembered in an embellished form or to depart from fact. Even the recollection of participants involved can change over time, as a friend had placed me at several events in decades past which I know I had not been present at. The more people who independently recall a specific event or person, the more likely that is to be correct or close to being correct, provided they haven't discussed that among themselves, in which discussion stories (and the memory of them) tend to blend.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

The relevance of the 40 years isn't that the memories might be flawed (although that could go either way), but that through multiple political campaigns and over 4 decades this hasn't been brought up.
While certainly odd, I do not see it as proof either way.

Memories that old are a funny thing. Some are crisp and clear, usually because a great deal of adrenaline was involved. I have some like that, and there are other, more mundane events I have little recollection of. Some things just don't stand out. But I have heard people relate events from our mutual past to me and the accounts are not the same as my recollections (even if they placed me in a better light than my own recollection of events).
So, even individual memories are not completely reliable in all cases, any more than eyewitness testimony, those memories can be altered from initial perception, being re-remembered/retold in slightly different iterations, even discussion with others which might cause a story to be remembered in an embellished form or to depart from fact. Even the recollection of participants involved can change over time, as a friend had placed me at several events in decades past which I know I had not been present at. The more people who independently recall a specific event or person, the more likely that is to be correct or close to being correct, provided they haven't discussed that among themselves, in which discussion stories (and the memory of them) tend to blend.

The only problem I have with the use of the 40 year old stuff, is the immediate dismissal of the possibility of guilt because the memories are 40 years old and cannot therefore be valid.

As long as it's qualified, I don't have a problem with it.

But it hasn't been, so I do......

Offline Smokin Joe

The only problem I have with the use of the 40 year old stuff, is the immediate dismissal of the possibility of guilt because the memories are 40 years old and cannot therefore be valid.

As long as it's qualified, I don't have a problem with it.

But it hasn't been, so I do......
That leaves the big question of "Why now?" Where were any of these allegations in the previous elections?

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

That leaves the big question of "Why now?" Where were any of these allegations in the previous elections?

That's a legit question, but still can't be used as an assumption that these women aren't telling the truth.

That is the only point I'm making here.

40 year old memories??  Right before an election??  Must be all lies, right??

Nope.

Offline Smokin Joe

That's a legit question, but still can't be used as an assumption that these women aren't telling the truth.

That is the only point I'm making here.

40 year old memories??  Right before an election??  Must be all lies, right??

Nope.
But questionable when there have been a few elections in between and these haven't surfaced.

C S Lewis

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

But questionable when there have been a few elections in between and these haven't surfaced.
Do you think it is possible that victims of rape saw what happened to women, who President Clinton raped and assaulted, and they decided it was the wrong climate to be brave?  Perhaps they recently saw widespread condemnation of Weinstien, and others predators, and thought the GOP might have evolved past "More women are sexual predators than men," and "Women are chasing young boys up and down the road, but we don't hear about that because it's not PC."  http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/361060-alabama-pastor-supporting-moore-more-women-are-sexual-predators-than-men

Well, I got one thing to say to those ladies, as I unbuckle my belt..."Today, just ain't your day."

Offline SirLinksALot

Folks, we have enough threads elsewhere that discusses the allegations against Roy Moore.

I really want this thread to  be a discussion of Roy Moore's political record instead of rehashing the accusations of these women.

Notice that the accusation is that he is NOT really conservative ( ignore the women for now ).

How accurate is this ? THAT is the purpose of my posting this thread.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:51:38 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Folks, we have enough threads elsewhere that discusses the allegations against Roy Moore.

I really want this thread to  be a discussion of Roy Moore's political record instead of rehashing the accusations of these women.

Notice that the accusation is that he is NOT really conservative ( ignore the women for now ).

Of course Roy Moore is no conservative, in the American sense of that term.  He has demonstrated contempt for the rule of law on at least two occasions - in his capacity as a judge of the Alabama Supreme Court! -  sufficiently serious to warrant his removal.    The rule of law in a Constitutional Republic such as ours is, or should be, a bedrock principle of conservatism.     

Moore is a nihilist,  picking and choosing what laws he will obey based on his self-styled view of what his "God" demands.  He's the equivalent of a radical Muslim seeking to substitute shariah law for that of the Constitution and its guarantee of equal protection.  His way of thinking is disturbing and profoundly un-American,  and his willingness to ignore his oath of office makes him unfit for the Senate.   

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:07:38 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Good luck with keeping ANY thread here on topic!  Just sayin!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Of course Roy Moore is no conservative, in the American sense of that term.  He has demonstrated contempt for the rule of law on at least two occasions

You were already proven to be totally and completely wrong on this stupid and incessant talking-point assertion of yours by numerous members of this board in whom you have REFUSED to answer.  You were asked specifically which "laws" exactly did Roy Moore break and thereby demonstrated 'contempt'.  You kept going back to court ruling precedent by a federal district judge as "law" and when shown your error, you (as always) refused to acknowledge to push your liberal Leftist claptrap bullshit.

Moore is a nihilist

And you are a Stalinist.  Next accusation please.

picking and choosing what laws he will obey based on his self-styled view of what his "God" demands. 

You do the same when it comes to your professed 'Christianity' and your peculiar Leftist view of the Constitution.  Project much?

He's the equivalent of a radical Muslim seeking to substitute shariah law for that of the Constitution and its guarantee of equal protection.  His way of thinking is disturbing and profoundly un-American,  and his willingness to ignore his oath of office makes him unfit for the Senate.

That's what you and the Left want everyone to believe, that Biblically-adherent Christians who will not surrender their beliefs are a danger to the state and the people.

This is why I say that people like you are the very reason we have a Second Amendment to begin with - because people like you, given the power - would do as Nero did and worse, for similarly stated reasons as you just provided.

You are an enemy to everything our Founders established.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline musiclady

Agreed.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

This is why I say that people like you are the very reason we have a Second Amendment to begin with

So you're saying I should be shot for my beliefs.   Got it.    *****rollingeyes*****
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
So you're saying I should be shot for my beliefs.   Got it.   

You've been busy suggesting biblical Christians who live their faith like Cake Bakers and people like Moore should be punished and exterminated.

If you want to act like a tyrant to impose tyranny - you should be afraid of the Second Amendment.

Clearly you are.

Good.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775