Author Topic: EPA OKs first living pest-control mosquito for use in United States  (Read 445 times)

rangerrebew

EPA OKs first living pest-control mosquito for use in United States
Asian tiger mosquitoes made bad dad by Wolbachia bacteria can suppress local populations
by Susan Milius
6:58pm, November 8, 2017

In a big step toward catching up with the rest of the world, the United States cleared the way for using mosquitoes as a commercial pest control for the first time.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has approved using a strain of male Asian tiger mosquitoes (Aedes albopictus) as a biopesticide in the District of Columbia and 20 states, including California and New York. Kentucky-based MosquitoMate was granted the right to sell these mosquitoes, called ZAP Males, for the next five years, the agency announced November 7.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/science-ticker/epa-oks-first-living-pest-control-mosquito-use-united-states?mode=topic&context=60

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: EPA OKs first living pest-control mosquito for use in United States
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 12:54:23 pm »
Down here, I do know there has been work for nearly to introduce certain species of  phorid flies to try to control Fire Ant populations.

Not exactly the same, but not unprecedented.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.