Author Topic: Alabama Secretary of State: If State GOP Pulls Support for Moore and He Gets the Most Votes, Election Would Be ‘Null and Void’  (Read 13365 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Moore is not running on his own account for Senate.  He is running as the nominee of the Republican Party.  If the Alabama GOP rescinds its nomination, which it has the right to do,  then the AG is correct that a Moore victory would be null and void.

@Jazzhead
Thats dictated by state law and since he's already on the ballot its probably too late for the GOP to do that.   The State AG probably can't do what he's talking about either.  Moore would have to be convicted of a crime first.

you don't just to declare an election null and void.  That only happens in bananna republics and your friends haven't quite got us there yet
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Victoria33

The Democrat is now ahead by 9 points.  Many women aren't going to vote for Moore now.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead
Thats dictated by state law and since he's already on the ballot its probably too late for the GOP to do that.   The State AG probably can't do what he's talking about either.  Moore would have to be convicted of a crime first.

you don't just to declare an election null and void.  That only happens in bananna republics and your friends haven't quite got us there yet

DD, I'm, of course, no expert on Alabama law, but the Secretary of State of Alabama (not the AG as I said above) is of the view that Moore cannot validly win the election unless he is the nominee of the Republican Part as stated on the ballot .   So if the Alabama GOP rescinds the nomination,  and Moore still wins, it's null and void.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Democrat is now ahead by 9 points.  Many women aren't going to vote for Moore now.

Maybe even 12...I had not thought of the women factor. Astute observation.  I guess, they may find those women believable.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/15/roy-moore-doug-jones-poll-244937

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Many want to, but they haven't reached voting age.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:17:07 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online roamer_1

Baloney.
National Senate is a McConnell run group.

RCP avg has him up 3 and that is affected by the day of the accusations when the Dem was +4 in some poll. Since then, two actual polls put Moore +6 and +10, with the trend upward.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:26:39 pm by roamer_1 »

Online Hoodat

DD, I'm, of course, no expert on Alabama law, but the Secretary of State of Alabama (not the AG as I said above) is of the view that Moore cannot validly win the election unless he is the nominee of the Republican Part as stated on the ballot .   So if the Alabama GOP rescinds the nomination,  and Moore still wins, it's null and void.

The Secretary of State of Alabama seems unaware of the 17th Amendment.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

There is only one poll that matters, and we'll see what AL people decide.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This is the key to how this will all come down.   The Alabama GOP is a private organization, and the ballot lists Moore as its nominee.   It can withdraw that nomination,  and if Moore wins, the election will be deemed null and void.   Moore,  whose political reputation is based on resistance and defiance of the law,  probably can't persuaded to withdraw,  but the local party can yank its support regardless.

The key to avoiding disaster is to have the Alabama GOP withdraw its support quickly,  thereby raising pressure on the Governor of Alabama to postpone the special election to allow the Alabama party time to find another nominee (maybe Jeff Sessions himself).

The most likely result is still a Doug Jones victory,  although the specter of an invalid nominee on the ballot essentially turns the race into an up or down referendum on Mr. Jones.   He wins, he's the Senator; Moore wins,  a new election is called. 

The Wall Street Journal this morning opined as follows:

This is the choice the Alabama GOP (and indeed, Alabama Christians) must make -  to make a stand to be better and less cynical than the Democrats on the issue of CHARACTER MATTERS.   

We know why you don't like him and are so anxious to get him out of the race.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/07/us/top-alabama-judge-orders-halt-to-same-sex-marriage-licenses.html
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

Many want to, but they haven't reached voting age.
Just postpone another 6 months, and then they can.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

Moore is not running on his own account for Senate.  He is running as the nominee of the Republican Party.  If the Alabama GOP rescinds its nomination, which it has the right to do,  then the AG is correct that a Moore victory would be null and void.
He is running as the elected candidate for the Republican Party, not some committee nominee.

C S Lewis

Offline MajorClay

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Online Smokin Joe

They threw that out the train window during the last presidential primary. Witch hunts are all the rage.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
They threw that out the train window during the last presidential primary. Witch hunts are all the rage.

All it takes now is "a woman said" and you're done it seems!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Hoodat

All it takes is a man with a weaker denial than Clarence Thomas, or even Bill Clinton.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Unless you are a Democrat.

Then the GOP will send it's leadership to appear in court to testify on your behalf about what a great and honorable and upstanding guy you are, despite actual criminal evidence that is ignored.

But if you are an actual Conservative with a record to prove it - why - then ANY allegation from ANYONE, without ANY PROOF is an automatic "Crucify Him!  Crucify Him!"

Liberals and Leftists from either party get a free pass however, unless one  of them is in the way of an actual Democrat  then by default they are guilty automatically.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline libertybele

That poll is according to the NSRC --  I'm not holding much stock in it.  Do I think that this will affect the outcome of the vote...of course.  IMHO this is a witch hunt orchestrated by McConnell and cronies and they are scared to death of Moore and had to stop him with whatever means necessary.  McConnell would rather hand the AL seat to a DEM rather than see Moore enter his country club.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
It still exists---in a court of law.

And there isn't a court in this country that can abrogate your right or my right to make a call
on guilt or innocence based on the information available.

You can determine a man's guilt or innocence based on information made available to you
before an accusation finds its way into a courtroom (in the Moore case it would have to be
civil litigation, considering the criminal statute of limitations), you simply can't punish him
under the law. About the only way anyone could punish Mr. Moore if they believe him guilty
as accused would be for Alabama voters to deny him election to the Senate. But the
available information still allows you to decide whether, in Mr. Moore's case, it's innocent,
guilty, or Lucy-you-got-some-more-splainin'-to-do.

Remember: We didn't need a court to determine Droopy Drawers Clinton guilty of serial
adultery or committing perjury, suborning perjury, and obstruction justice on behalf of
trying to cover up a little presidential nooky in the White House; we had enough information
available even before the impeachment trial to know he was guilty.

We didn't need a court to determine Hilarious Rodent Clinton's guilt regarding her e-mail
servers, Benghazi, and turning the Democratic National Committee into her personal
rubber stamp. (That may not be illegal but it was damn sure unethical at minimum.) We
have enough information on all the above to know she was guilty.

We didn't even need a court to tell us O.J. Simpson was guilty of murder. We had enough
information to know he was guilty even before the prosecution completely screwed up
the criminal trial. Which reminds me, too, that the legal presumption of innocence may
still exist in a court of law, but courts have been known to screw the proverbial
pooch. Both ways. The innocent have been convicted often enough; the guilty have been
acquitted often enough.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline corbe

I will continue to withhold judgment until he announces who his Prom Date is gonna be this Spring at a Press Conference.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Unless you are a Democrat.

Then the GOP will send it's leadership to appear in court to testify on your behalf about what a great and honorable and upstanding guy you are, despite actual criminal evidence that is ignored.

But if you are an actual Conservative with a record to prove it - why - then ANY allegation from ANYONE, without ANY PROOF is an automatic "Crucify Him!  Crucify Him!"

Liberals and Leftists from either party get a free pass however, unless one  of them is in the way of an actual Democrat  then by default they are guilty automatically.

Unfortunately that is all true!  And it makes me want to throw up!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fantom

So, if the Alabama GOP rescinds... then I propose a write-in for Moore. If such is good for GOPE-Sessions.

Then I say "More Moore...Here Here" as the write in slogan. Let the GOPE, and your kind, deny the Will of The People..if you dare.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:35:38 am by Fantom »
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline RetBobbyMI

Sounds like you’re trying to give legal opines to the AG of Alabama.  :shrug:  I seriously doubt the state GOP would rescind their only candidate. Moore is a party candidate, but also is running on his own filing. I don’t know how the Sec of State could void the election.  Someone would have to show the state law authority for that.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline libertybele

Unfortunately that is all true!  And it makes me want to throw up!

Ditto.  I'm besides myself ... Lee, whom I always thought was a staunch conservative was one of the first to withdraw his support for Moore ... and then Cruz; both asserting in essence that he's guilty. I don't know what to think.  I'm hoping that they know something we don't; otherwise it sure seems that both of them have climbed aboard the swamp train.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
   I will continue to withhold judgment until he announces who his Prom Date is gonna be this Spring at a Press Conference.

I’m withholding judgment until an accuser comes forward with the claim he wore football attire and insisted upon being called ‘Mr. Greenfield’ during encounters.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:38:20 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Fantom

Ditto.  I'm besides myself ... Lee, whom I always thought was a staunch conservative was one of the first to withdraw his support for Moore ... and then Cruz; both asserting in essence that he's guilty. I don't know what to think.  I'm hoping that they know something we don't; otherwise it sure seems that both of them have climbed aboard the swamp train.

Seems they want Sessions back in his Senate seat.  I propose a swap..... Sessions as Senator... Moore as AG.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:40:01 am by Fantom »
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass