Author Topic: GE turnaround plan includes big paycheck changes for execs, divesting units  (Read 1733 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
This may be time to pull the Buffett rule- when people panic- buy. There is no reason GE should be at 17/share and their restructure plan seems sound.

General Electric Co. CEO John Flannery proposed major changes to the Boston-based conglomerate Nov. 13, most notably a plan to focus on its power, aviation and health care businesses and divest other units such as lighting and transportation.

The senior executives who sit in the company’s headquarters will see big changes of their own as part of the turnaround plan, in the form of their paychecks: More of their compensation will be tied to GE’s (NYSE: GE) stock performance, with less coming in cash, Flannery said.....

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/11/14/ge-turnaround-plan-includes-big-paycheck-changes.html

Offline thackney

This may be time to pull the Buffett rule- when people panic- buy. There is no reason GE should be at 17/share and their restructure plan seems sound.

Buy low and sell high.

It can be emotionally tougher than it sounds.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

You sound like you probably went long Sears a couple years back. How's that working out?

Offline ABX

You sound like you probably went long Sears a couple years back. How's that working out?

Nope, their fundamentals suck.

However, I did get in with Ford at around .90c when the bailouts were taking place (and they were the one who refused them but were beaten down with the others). That paid for the down payment on my current home.

During Brexit, I am in on RBS and BCS, both of which have doubled since the 'panic'. I got in on FB at 30 shortly after the IPO when they had a big dip. AAPL at 94.

Just because something is beaten down doesn't mean it is an automatic buy. It is why it is going down. Is the market over-reacting to bad news which contradict the fundamentals? If so, then buy. If it is going down because the fundamentals aren't there and they are actually dying, then don't get in.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:28:04 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Frank Cannon

I got a hot tip for you......

Offline ABX

I got a hot tip for you......

Unfortunately they are privately held, not for open market trading. That also means their financials aren't made public.

Offline Frank Cannon

Unfortunately they are privately held, not for open market trading. That also means their financials aren't made public.

For now. Just wait till the IPO hits. It's going to be a goldmine.

Offline ABX

For now. Just wait till the IPO hits. It's going to be a goldmine.

LOL, after what they went through with their previous CEO, Elizabeth Holmes, I think I'll skip it.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
I have to admit I have kind of a soft spot for General Electric, since I grew up with a few of their
appliances in our home and my first pocket transistor radio was made by GE . . .

(Mom traded that little beauty in for an Electrolux in 1962, but it had to be done. In its last four years
of life, something went wrong with the thick motor cushion that actually kept the motor quiet, and whenever
you used the upholstery nozzle or the crevice tool it would make this screaming buzzing sound like a hive of
hornets on LSD. I think the last straw was when a new neighbour in the next apartment complained too
often to the landlord. There are crazier reasons to trade up for the original real Electrolux.)

(. . . and boy was I glad when Dad told Mom to get rid of that monstrosity---the motor was louder than
a leaf blower on the lowest speeds, so you don't want to know about the racket from speed four forward;
they were always replacing beaters because they warped, and when Mom dumped it and Dad brought home a
'62 Sunbeam Mixmaster, it was like . . . well, imagine being liberated now from a death mental concert and
and brought to a chamber orchestra concert. The Mixmaster's highest speed was Clair de Lune compared
to that old Triple-Whip's Black Sabbath on lowest speed. I still can't believe Ozzie and Harriet had one of
those God-awful Triple Whips in their kitchen . . . must have been sponsor product placement, because
if Ozzie had really bought one for Harriet she could have charged him plausibly with spousal abuse.)

(That was actually a pretty good little toaster, and was pretty good for making small meat loafs and
grilled cheese sandwiches and pot pies.)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:54:16 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Frank Cannon

I have to admit I have kind of a soft spot for General Electric, since I grew up with a few of their
appliances in our home and my first pocket transistor radio was made by GE . . .

If you were tuning in stations on kitchen appliances, you were getting better moderate street drugs then I was back in the day.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
If you were tuning in stations on kitchen appliances, you were getting better moderate street drugs then I was back in the day.
We weren't getting stations on kitchen appliances, but considering that electric mixer getting
radio stations through it would have been an improvement! Anything including the last
of the radio dope (er, soap) operas would have sounded less abrasive.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:11:44 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline thackney

Still trying to decide what the number should be for the limit order...

17.1?  Too greedy?

!7.3???

It is falling still in before market hours.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Perhaps they'll sell of their locomotive-building division to someone who will finally build a -decent- railroad locomotive, heh.

The GE's ran, but compared to General Motors engines (EMD), they were downright clunky in most cases.
There's a good reason why that most of the older engines still in use today are EMD's.

Here's one I actually use to run personally, at a place I used to work:

The engine is a B23-7 built around 1978 (2,200hp).
That's Oak Point yard in the South Bronx. Worked plenty of jobs there, often after midnight.

Out of sight behind the boxcars (before the pillars holding up the Bruckner Expressway) is the electrified main line of the Northeast Corridor, which I would switch over to from time to time (had seniority on both railroads, finally moving to Amtrak and staying there for 21 years...).

Offline ABX

Still trying to decide what the number should be for the limit order...

17.1?  Too greedy?

!7.3???

It is falling still in before market hours.

I hope you got in. Back up to 18.19 as of writing this.

Offline thackney

No, I thought about 17.5 which would have done it but held out for too much.

Offline thackney

Today might be another buying opportunity.