Author Topic: Mozilla Brings Competition to Google Chrome With New Firefox Quantum Browser  (Read 1012 times)

Offline endicom

Fortune
Kirsten Korosec
Nov. 14, 2017

Mozilla launched Tuesday its new next-generation browser Firefox Quantum for Android, iOS, Linux, Mac, and Windows, in what the company calls the “biggest update” in 13 years.

Firefox Quantum, also called Firefox 57, has a new user interface that gives it a more modern look. More importantly, Firefox Quantum is built to be faster and easier to use, an effort that could help Mozilla scrape back users it lost to rivals Google Chrome and Apple’s Safari browser.

More... http://fortune.com/2017/11/14/mozilla-firefox-quantum-chrome/

Online roamer_1

On it now... It's quick.

Offline endicom

On it now... It's quick.

Already? Other features seem good?

Online roamer_1

Already? Other features seem good?

Yeah... It's alright... Seems to dog a bit pulling down a site for the first time (Like Yahoo or FOX... something with a lot going on) but once it's got it swallowed, BAM.

But, not ready for prime time... I will probably switch back till the addons catch up... It ate all my addons, except two, and I can't get NoScript (NoScript Suite, but not NoScript). So yeah, going backwards means getting my profile over from another pooter. No biggie, but still.

I'd wait a bit before committing.

Offline Frank Cannon

On it now... It's quick.

An old man in a wheelchair is quicker than the current version.

Offline endicom

...I can't get NoScript...

I needs me my NoScript.

But it's coming:

Where's NoScript for Firefox 57 "Quantum"?

2017-11-14: We're working hard to make NoScript for Quantum available to you as soon as possible, even later today if we're lucky enough, and definitely by the end of this week.

Please be patient: if you feel naked while you're waiting for the "brand new" NoScript, you can still use the "regular" 5.x on Firefox ESR. See you soon!

https://noscript.net/

Online roamer_1

I needs me my NoScript.

That's right...

Though I saw Ghostery is there for Quantum... And AdBlockPlus works...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

A reliable IT guy told me a couple of years ago to avoid Firefox as it was hackable.

has that changed now?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online roamer_1

A reliable IT guy told me a couple of years ago to avoid Firefox as it was hackable.

has that changed now?

Anything is hackable.

It's sure as hell better than anything MS has got, or anything built on IE
And Chrome... Well, you know you're getting hacked and tracked with Chrome... You just don't seem to mind because it's Google doing it.
There really ain't anything BUT FF.
Maybe Opera...

Offline endicom

Not Brave or Pale Moon?

Online roamer_1

Not Brave or Pale Moon?

Pale Moon is a FF Fork. What makes you think it is any different?
And Brave is built on Chrome... Same question.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Anything is hackable.

It's sure as hell better than anything MS has got, or anything built on IE
And Chrome... Well, you know you're getting hacked and tracked with Chrome... You just don't seem to mind because it's Google doing it.
Maybe Opera...

Those running a free OS might take a look at konqueror.  I haven't used it in a while, but historically it's been several years ahead of the rest, at least in the features that I was interested in.  For example, it had the ability to enable/disable javascript based on site (and maybe domain?) built in long before there was a NoScript.  Same for things like cookies and popups.  The ability to provide a custom user-agent was great back in the days when some "web developers" liked to try to force you to use this or that browser.

And yet I always end up back on FF for one reason or another.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'm generally fine with Safari.

If I want more privacy, I use the Epic privacy browser (based on the Chrome engine but with all the google stuff stripped out of it).

If I want to download a YouTube video, I find that Opera works pretty well for that.

I still keep Firefox, Vivaldi, and the "Brave" browser around, as well.