Author Topic: Do Alabama Voters Have a Right to Elect Who They Please? Washington Says NO  (Read 1817 times)

rangerrebew

Do Alabama Voters Have a Right to Elect Who They Please? Washington Says NO

November 14, 2017| by Donn Marten

With the war on Roy Moore raging on, an underlying subtext has been largely ignored and it is one that has serious ramifications for the democratic system itself.

That is do the people of Alabama have the right to elect their own representatives? For that matter, does any American have that right anymore?

https://downtrend.com/donn-marten/do-alabama-voters-have-a-right-to-elect-who-they-please-washington-says-no

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Damned right they do and Washington can go straight to hell!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
It would be one thing if Moore was running for state office; say, Alabama's state senate or
assembly, or even governor. That would be Alabama's sole business---and, if Moore is indeed
guilty of what he's accused of having done, Alabama's sole shame.

But Moore is running for the U.S. Senate, which has a far more direct impact upon the nation
than running for his state's senate or assembly or statehouse. That is very much the business
of Americans who don't live in Alabama, as it would be regarding such a candidate running for
the Senate from, say, New York, or Pennsylvania, or California, or Mississippi, or Texas, or
the Carolinas, or the Pacific Northwest, or California.

It's one thing for a member of either house of Congress to commit the sort of act Moore is
accused of having done after they've been elected to Capitol Hill with no known such
act attached to them previously; it's something else entirely for a member of either house
in Congress to have been sent there despite his or her home state's having known they
committed such acts or were accused of having done so before they stood for election to
that office

The nation is not Washington alone, and Washington alone isn't calling for Moore to back
away from the race if he's guilty as accused. The nation is not the Republican or Democratic
parties alone, and Republicans and Democrats alone aren't calling for him to back away
from the race if he's guilty as accused.

We once thought it was a disgrace to have elected a president known before taking his
oath of office to have been somewhat of a serial adulterer. There were enough of us last
year who thought it was a disgrace to elect a president caught on tape believing he could
grab women by (a five-letter feline euphemism for a woman's vagina) at will. Why should
it be less disgraceful for a state to send to the U.S. Senate a man who proves to have
sexually assaulted a fourteen-year-old girl when he was in his thirties?

Or would we have been quicker to want Moore---if he is guilty of such a sexual
assault---run out of town and to the nearest hoosegow if he were a Senate candidate
from New York or California?

Which reminds me that, as we have been reminded by a large enough number of
commentators, the presumption of innocence applies legally to a court of law. Until or
unless the Moore question goes to court, if it does, anyone can say anything they damn
well please about any facet of it, for better or worse.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:31:23 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The irony of all of this is yes, the voters of Alabama have every right to elect who they wish; however, the Senate does not have to seat that person nor do the voters have a right to remove one from office once he gets there.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The irony of all of this is yes, the voters of Alabama have every right to elect who they wish; however, the Senate does not have to seat that person nor do the voters have a right to remove one from office once he gets there.
The Senate can expel someone who is of such low character they cannot allow them to be associated with that august body of liars, con artists, thieves, grifters, and yes, sexual predators.
They didn't kick Barney Frank out for running a whorehouse for homosexuals out of his 'congressional home' at a time when, yes, there was 'something wrong with that'.

They haven't voted anyone out since 1862, and that includes numerous other such such notables as Huey Long.

In the interest of complete disclosure, some of those resigned before they could be given the boot. After all, even criminals have some standards.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

If Roy Moore is elected and the senate refuses to seat him they will open up a can of whup ass the likes of which no one has ever seen!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The Senate can expel someone who is of such low character they cannot allow them to be associated with that august body of liars, con artists, thieves, grifters, and yes, sexual predators.
They didn't kick Barney Frank out for running a whorehouse for homosexuals out of his 'congressional home' at a time when, yes, there was 'something wrong with that'.

They haven't voted anyone out since 1862, and that includes numerous other such such notables as Huey Long.

In the interest of complete disclosure, some of those resigned before they could be given the boot. After all, even criminals have some standards.

It's a new era Joe, and the Oligarchy is playing for keeps and will not permit another Tea Party/Trump type upset from their corruption from happening again.

It's why the GOP changed the rules twice in the last two elections to ensure no grassroots Conservatives can mount a takeover of the party from within, and why they will now make the rules themselves, outside of the convention and outside of public eyes.

Mordor on the Potomac thinks they can and will tell us little people who needs to rule us, and Bob Corker let that little truth slip out of his yaw the other day by stating that the voters in Alabama voting for Moore over Strange was a "Bridge too far".

I will state for the record - I think we are well past the point of being able to restrain or stop tyranny via civil means in this country.

All that remains is how much this people are willing to put up with before they decide enough is enough.

But by then it may be too late to do a damn thing about where we are headed.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

If Roy Moore is elected and the senate refuses to seat him they will open up a can of whup ass the likes of which no one has ever seen!
They will be in violation of the Constitution of the United States, refusing the People of the State of Alabama their duly elected representation in the Senate.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

They will be in violation of the Constitution of the United States . . .
Actually, no, they won't.

Article I, Section 5, part 2: Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members
for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member.
The member's
home constituents can scream blue murder (as happened in 1967, when the House refused to seat
Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. while he faced corruption charges), but either the Senate or the House is
allowed to do it constitutionally.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:21:36 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Article I, Section 5, part 2: Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members
for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member.
The member's
home constituents can scream blue murder (as happened in 1967, when the House refused to seat
Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. while he faced corruption charges), but either the Senate or the House is

That does not give them the right to overturn an election just because THEY don't like the result!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:03:54 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

Re: Do Alabama Voters Have a Right to Elect Who They Please? Washington Says NO
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 12:39:53 am »

The member's
No taxation without representation!

Where have I heard that before?

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 12:40:54 am »
That does not give them the right to overturn an election just because THEY don't like tge result!
Crap, it that was the case I vote we throw the whole bloody lot out and start over Especially the ones from California and the Northeast.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 12:42:19 am »
That does not give them the right to overturn an election just because THEY don't like tge result!
Expelling a member isn't quite the same thing as overturning an election. (For that
matter, neither is impeachment; you may remember Droopy Drawers Clinton's sycophancy
trying to argue that impeaching him equaled an attempt to a) overturn an election, and b)
foist on the people a man they didn't elect to be president, the Constitution be damned.)
The Constitution does not say, Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings,
punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel
a Member, except in cases where they don't like the election results in the Member's home
district or home state's choice
. (That last is a reminder that state legislatures and not the
general voting public elected Senators until the 20th Century, gang.)

Funny thing---nobody except Adam Clayton Powell's direct constituents (and maybe a few
bat-headed liberal commentators) objected when the House voted by practically 3-to-1 not to
seat and ultimately expel him in early 1967 for facing accusations (and a couple of formal legal
charges) far less grave than the accusations Mr. Moore faces. Powell was merely and exponentially
corrupt, not a suspected or accused child molester.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:43:10 am by EasyAce »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 12:48:51 am »

Not the moral right, but it does give them the legal right.

Not saying it's a good thing, but they do have that right.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 12:54:21 am »
Crap, it that was the case I vote we throw the whole bloody lot out and start over Especially the ones from California and the Northeast.

You know, we get rid of the 17th and more than 2/3 of the Senate would be appointed by Republican led states.  They could then vote out all the Dems.

And then they'd do exactly what they're doing now, nothing (for $174,000/year, plus "tips").
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 12:57:51 am »
It would be one thing if Moore was running for state office; say, Alabama's state senate or
assembly, or even governor. That would be Alabama's sole business---and, if Moore is indeed
guilty of what he's accused of having done, Alabama's sole shame.

But Moore is running for the U.S. Senate, which has a far more direct impact upon the nation
than running for his state's senate or assembly or statehouse. That is very much the business
of Americans who don't live in Alabama, as it would be regarding such a candidate running for
the Senate from, say, New York, or Pennsylvania, or California, or Mississippi, or Texas, or
the Carolinas, or the Pacific Northwest, or California.

It's one thing for a member of either house of Congress to commit the sort of act Moore is
accused of having done after they've been elected to Capitol Hill with no known such
act attached to them previously; it's something else entirely for a member of either house
in Congress to have been sent there despite his or her home state's having known they
committed such acts or were accused of having done so before they stood for election to
that office

The nation is not Washington alone, and Washington alone isn't calling for Moore to back
away from the race if he's guilty as accused. The nation is not the Republican or Democratic
parties alone, and Republicans and Democrats alone aren't calling for him to back away
from the race if he's guilty as accused.

We once thought it was a disgrace to have elected a president known before taking his
oath of office to have been somewhat of a serial adulterer. There were enough of us last
year who thought it was a disgrace to elect a president caught on tape believing he could
grab women by (a five-letter feline euphemism for a woman's vagina) at will. Why should
it be less disgraceful for a state to send to the U.S. Senate a man who proves to have
sexually assaulted a fourteen-year-old girl when he was in his thirties?

Or would we have been quicker to want Moore---if he is guilty of such a sexual
assault---run out of town and to the nearest hoosegow if he were a Senate candidate
from New York or California?

Which reminds me that, as we have been reminded by a large enough number of
commentators, the presumption of innocence applies legally to a court of law. Until or
unless the Moore question goes to court, if it does, anyone can say anything they damn
well please about any facet of it, for better or worse.

The problem is that too many on "our side" decided to completely disregard what we had always held as a standard for Presidential nominees, when they decided that it didn't matter that "our" nominee bragged about his own perversion and sexual predation.

We have lost all moral ground, and I see no way forward to gain it back.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 12:59:29 am »
Not the moral right, but it does give them the legal right.

Not saying it's a good thing, but they do have that right.
You can't expel someone you don't  seat.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 01:05:49 am »

:amen: Joe!  At that moment this republic is offically dead and buried!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 01:13:38 am »
:amen: Joe!  At that moment this republic is offically dead and buried!
@Bigun
You're about 114 years too late for the funeral. (Sixteenth Amendment, anyone?)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:16:33 am by EasyAce »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 01:16:07 am »
@Bigun
You're about 114 too late for the funeral. (Sixteenth Amendment, anyone?)

That was indeed a mortal blow but it does not mandate that we have a Marxist income tax.  Only allows it and we can still get rid of it!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 01:17:07 am »
That was indeed a mortal blow but it does not mandate that we have a Marxist income tax.
Mandate, no, but it left enough wiggle room for ten strippers without bumping against the sides. ;)

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 01:21:57 am »
Mandate, no, but it left enough wiggle room for ten strippers without bumping against the sides. ;)

Have you looked at my avitar or read the stuff at the link in my tag line?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 01:28:49 am »
Have you looked at my avitar or read the stuff at the link in my tag line?
I read Frank Chodorov for the first time in the 1980s, when a friend gave me his posthumous
anthology Fugitive Essays, and another friend gave me a small collection of his legendary
broadsheet analysis. They both knew of my admiration for Albert Jay Nock, whose protege
Chodorov had been, and figured that if I liked Nock (and I still do), I'd enjoy Chodorov. And
they were right! I've read all Chodorov's and Nock's books and they are never far from my
re-reading list. They were two of the most eloquent anti-Statists I've ever read, and to this
day I sit in awe of their erudition.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 01:32:52 am »
I read Frank Chodorov for the first time in the 1980s, when a friend gave me his posthumous
anthology Fugitive Essays, and another friend gave me a small collection of his legendary
broadsheet analysis. They both knew of my admiration for Albert Jay Nock, whose protege
Chodorov had been, and figured that if I liked Nock (and I still do), I'd enjoy Chodorov. And
they were right! I've read all Chodorov's and Nock's books and they are never far from my
re-reading list. They were two of the most eloquent anti-Statists I've ever read, and to this
day I sit in awe of their erudition.

:amen:  could not agree any more!   :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 01:39:29 am »
It's a new era Joe, and the Oligarchy is playing for keeps and will not permit another Tea Party/Trump type upset from their corruption from happening again.

It's why the GOP changed the rules twice in the last two elections to ensure no grassroots Conservatives can mount a takeover of the party from within, and why they will now make the rules themselves, outside of the convention and outside of public eyes.

Mordor on the Potomac thinks they can and will tell us little people who needs to rule us, and Bob Corker let that little truth slip out of his yaw the other day by stating that the voters in Alabama voting for Moore over Strange was a "Bridge too far".

I will state for the record - I think we are well past the point of being able to restrain or stop tyranny via civil means in this country.

All that remains is how much this people are willing to put up with before they decide enough is enough.

But by then it may be too late to do a damn thing about where we are headed.

@INVAR

I'm coming more to that conclusion with every passing day but and I'm to damned old now to be much of a factor in the the end.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:40:54 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien