Author Topic: The EU signed a “historic” deal to integrate 23 armies to shake off its US dependence  (Read 969 times)

Offline Suppressed

The EU signed a “historic” deal to integrate 23 armies to shake off its US dependence
WRITTEN BY Jill Petzinger        7 hours ago

Getting defensive in Brussels.   (Reuters/Emmanuel Dunand)

It took 70 years, but the European Union finally signed a pact today (Nov. 13) agreeing to integrate military funding, weapons development, and deployment of European defenses. In a way, creating a unified mega army.

US president’s Donald Trump’s frequent accusations that EU countries do not pay enough into NATO has been one catalyst for them move forward with a unified plan for military cooperation. The other is that it could legitimately diminish the bloc’s dependence on US military support.

[...]

The UK had always resisted the idea of joint EU defense, fearing some kind of big “European army,” but the country’s planned exit from the bloc has removed that hurdle, allowing 23 other EU countries to move forward. Once Brexit happens, the UK could still possibly be involved, but for a price.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

This agreement is a far cry from "united military".

BTW, the member states who signed the joint notification are the following:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden.

It's left open so others may join in the future.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:47:27 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
They already have a "unified Army"...it's called NATO.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Joe Wooten

To totally become independent of American military help, they are all gonna have to cut way back on their social programs and spend a helluva lot more on their special unified military.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
To totally become independent of American military help, they are all gonna have to cut way back on their social programs and spend a helluva lot more on their special unified military.

Doubt that's gonna happen. It's a major struggle to get them to cough up a measly 2% of their GDP for defense as it is.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:29:38 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Joe Wooten

Doubt that's gonna happen. It's a major struggle to get them to cough up a measly 2% of their GDP for defense as it is.

Me too. They are way too addicted to their social programs.

Offline jpsb

To me this looks like a mass surrender to Germany with France leading the way.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I can guarantee you that some of the nations in this agreement will never surrender to Germany again, and you will see that a good number are actively fighting Frau Rostig Knusprig Merkel over Muslim immigration.

Online roamer_1

Like that's unusual or something....  :shrug: