Author Topic: A 12-Year-Old Girl With Epilepsy Is Suing Jeff Sessions Over Medical Marijuana  (Read 2879 times)

Offline berdie

I’m not going to say it has zero medical applications, but everyone knows the main drive behind legalization isn’t the medical proponents.  If it was a true wonder drug, Bob Marley would be alive and immortal.

I can't disagree. Most modern medicine has roots (no pun intended) in natural medicine.

But, as always, it will be abused.

Offline libertybele

I’m not going to say it has zero medical applications, but everyone knows the main drive behind legalization isn’t the medical proponents.  If it was a true wonder drug, Bob Marley would be alive and immortal.

What do you believe is the main drive behind legalization??  Big pharma and the government have everything to gain by declaring that marijuana has no medicinal value and is a gateway drug and absolutely everything to lose by allowing people to realize all the medicinal values of marijuana.  It would put many of them completely out of business.  Think of all the billions of dollars that has been spent on research for M.S. and the billions of dollars patients have spent on trying to treat their disease when marijuana in many cases has been proven to be a much better treatment.  I have a friend who has M.S. and marijuana is the only thing that truly works and works better than any drug that has been prescribed for her.  Because so many people are discovering the benefits of marijuana and for many have tried marijuana as their last hope, it is now coming full circle; we've been lied to by our government and Big Pharma because allowing people to legally use marijuana as an alternative would cut into their profit margin.  Any drug has the potential to be abused; yet doctors seem to be very liberal in writing prescriptions...just take a look at the opioid abuse. We have an epidemic on our hands. Marijuana is a plant that has been used for centuries medicinally, but yet it is illegal and we still have to jump through hoops in order to allow our government to let us use it; and though things are changing why in the heck do we need a doctor to write us a limited prescription?  IMHO the only reason that medical marijuana is now being considered and that we have to get a physician to write a scrip is because now the government has found a way that they can make money off of it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

What do you believe is the main drive behind legalization??  Big pharma and the government have everything to gain by declaring that marijuana has no medicinal value and is a gateway drug and absolutely everything to lose by allowing people to realize all the medicinal values of marijuana.  It would put many of them completely out of business.  Think of all the billions of dollars that has been spent on research for M.S. and the billions of dollars patients have spent on trying to treat their disease when marijuana in many cases has been proven to be a much better treatment.  I have a friend who has M.S. and marijuana is the only thing that truly works and works better than any drug that has been prescribed for her.  Because so many people are discovering the benefits of marijuana and for many have tried marijuana as their last hope, it is now coming full circle; we've been lied to by our government and Big Pharma because allowing people to legally use marijuana as an alternative would cut into their profit margin.  Any drug has the potential to be abused; yet doctors seem to be very liberal in writing prescriptions...just take a look at the opioid abuse. We have an epidemic on our hands. Marijuana is a plant that has been used for centuries medicinally, but yet it is illegal and we still have to jump through hoops in order to allow our government to let us use it; and though things are changing why in the heck do we need a doctor to write us a limited prescription?  IMHO the only reason that medical marijuana is now being considered and that we have to get a physician to write a scrip is because now the government has found a way that they can make money off of it.

So-called "Big Pharma" isn't afraid of marijuana; who do you think is going to end up owning all of the licensed legal growers?  Legalization is the best way for "Big Pharma" to co-opt marijuana.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
What do you believe is the main drive behind legalization??

Frito-Lay and Taco Bell.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline goodwithagun

I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline libertybele

So-called "Big Pharma" isn't afraid of marijuana; who do you think is going to end up owning all of the licensed legal growers?  Legalization is the best way for "Big Pharma" to co-opt marijuana.

That was my point.  Big Pharma and the government now realize how much money marijuana is going to make them.  Years ago they deemed it dangerous and illegal because they were making billions on prescription drugs; had they legalized it decades ago they wouldn't have made the trillions of dollars that they have.  Yes, there are many prescribed drugs that are beneficial but there are numerous drugs that have side affects and doctors often prescribe yet another drug to combat the side effect.  People have opted to use marijuana for many ailments and realize that it works better and for many much more affordable...affordability unfortunately, I see changing now that the government has their hands in regulating it.

The second problem now that the government has their hands in it is for those who hold a concealed carry permit and seek medical marijuana ... at least in the state of FL - you can NOT obtain or hold a concealed carry permit and use medical marijuana.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
@LottieDah

There is a substance in a certain marijuana plant that stops seizures.  The substance is NOT the part that makes one nuts.  I recall the first time this was used.  A family outside of that state had a little girl who was seizing almost continually.  They went to a farm in Colorado who was growing the type plant that makes this substance.  She stopped having seizures so they moved there for this little girl.  It was a doctor who told them to try that because nothing else worked.

Everything God made on this earth is good.  We get all kinds of medicines from plants.  Because this plant can make people act nutty, people think it is bad.  It is what it is used for that is bad.  The medicinal part is not bad.

Wine is shown to be good for the body.  People overuse it and that makes it bad.  Salt is good for a person but if you eat a whole cup of it, it will kill you.

The problem is, God did not put instructions on plants.  When I see Him, I plan to tell Him that.

Cannabis oil is good for lots of health issues including cancer.  So are other things of which are not the standard treatment but health professionals will not admit or approve.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline goodwithagun

Insurance doesn't cover hyperbaric chamber therapy for my son's diagnosis on the high end of ten Autism spectrum, yet experienced amazing results. Can I sue?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline libertybele

Insurance doesn't cover hyperbaric chamber therapy for my son's diagnosis on the high end of ten Autism spectrum, yet experienced amazing results. Can I sue?

I certainly would try to challenge it.  My nephew's son is autistic and they have had some success with unconventional treatments; he is in a test group so fortunately the cost is being covered.  I will pass the information of hyperbaric chamber therapy on to him.

Offline goodwithagun

I certainly would try to challenge it.  My nephew's son is autistic and they have had some success with unconventional treatments; he is in a test group so fortunately the cost is being covered.  I will pass the information of hyperbaric chamber therapy on to him.

Have them research Pittsburgh Hyperbaric and Dr. Frank Morganti. Dr. Frank did his dissertation on hyperbaric chamber therapy and autism. He's an amazing human being. We didn't tell anybody, including teachers and grandparents, yet everybody noticed a difference. It's expensive and thank God we can afford it, but I'd go into serious debt for the results we've experienced! Dr. Frank is now treating Alzheimer's, dementia, PTSD, and concussions. Again, Dr. Frank is awesome! We love him!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline libertybele

Have them research Pittsburgh Hyperbaric and Dr. Frank Morganti. Dr. Frank did his dissertation on hyperbaric chamber therapy and autism. He's an amazing human being. We didn't tell anybody, including teachers and grandparents, yet everybody noticed a difference. It's expensive and thank God we can afford it, but I'd go into serious debt for the results we've experienced! Dr. Frank is now treating Alzheimer's, dementia, PTSD, and concussions. Again, Dr. Frank is awesome! We love him!

Thank you for the information.

Offline goodwithagun

Thank you for the information.

I forgot: Dr. Frank gets that title from his Ph. D. He is also a resistered nurse. If you talk to Chris, she's the bomb dot com. We love her as much as Dr. Frank.
http://pittsburghhyperbaric.net
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:29:13 am by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Oceander

That was my point.  Big Pharma and the government now realize how much money marijuana is going to make them.  Years ago they deemed it dangerous and illegal because they were making billions on prescription drugs; had they legalized it decades ago they wouldn't have made the trillions of dollars that they have.  Yes, there are many prescribed drugs that are beneficial but there are numerous drugs that have side affects and doctors often prescribe yet another drug to combat the side effect.  People have opted to use marijuana for many ailments and realize that it works better and for many much more affordable...affordability unfortunately, I see changing now that the government has their hands in regulating it.

The second problem now that the government has their hands in it is for those who hold a concealed carry permit and seek medical marijuana ... at least in the state of FL - you can NOT obtain or hold a concealed carry permit and use medical marijuana.

"Big Pharma" had nothing to do with marijuana being illegal back in the day.  Without the moral (and racial) arguments against pot, "Big Pharma" would have been perfectly happy making money off of it.  Just the way they make money off of other "natural" products.

Offline edpc

Serious question.  If the Feds make it legal, would they have to commute sentences for people prosecuted by Justice?  Generally, other things would still apply, such as tax evasion and money laundering, but what about possession and distribution?

Oceander

Serious question.  If the Feds make it legal, would they have to commute sentences for people prosecuted by Justice?  Generally, other things would still apply, such as tax evasion and money laundering, but what about possession and distribution?

No, because possession and distribution were illegal when those people did the actions for which they were convicted.  It might be a good move politically to commute those sentences, but no requirement that they be commuted.

Offline edpc

No, because possession and distribution were illegal when those people did the actions for which they were convicted.  It might be a good move politically to commute those sentences, but no requirement that they be commuted.

I guess my curiosity stemmed from death penalty cases being commuted to life.

Offline Victoria33

@edpc

It is not the smoking of it that is medicinal; it is the oil taken by mouth.  As noted in the original article, the girl take one drop twice a day and that prevents the seizures.  The crazies want the plant to get high; the oil does nothing for them.  The oil should be a legal medicine, not the plant.  The farmers in Colorado who first grew those particular plants, kept those plants in a different area and distilled the oil for medical purposes. That stopped the little girl from having seizures almost constantly. The family sold all they had and moved there for that little girl.

Plants are made of chemicals, just as our bodies are made of chemicals.  Plant chemicals have been used for medicine and still are.  It is the dumb thinking of people who can't get past "that makes you high" so it has to be bad, that creates the present problem.  The oil does not make people nuts.  It is another part of the plant that does that - smoke the plant and it gets into the lungs and to the brain rapidly and causes confusion.  The smoke is not the part that stops seizures and the kids are not smoking it. They get drops of the oil.

Offline edpc

It is not the smoking of it that is medicinal; it is the oil taken by mouth.

There are people that will argue and present evidence it is. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:31:58 am by edpc »

Offline corbe

In everything Moderation, the general age here is such that most all of us have had experience with stoners, just as we have drunks, those that submit to addiction and allow it to destroy their lives and those that love them, these are the ones that give this whole thing a bad rap.
    Throughout History Medicinal plants, regardless of the delivery system, have been more beneficial to the advancement of Mankind than it's destruction, so far. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The Cannabis plant has a history of medicinal use dating back thousands of years across many cultures.[7] The use of medical cannabis is controversial. A number of medical organizations have requested removal of cannabis from the list of Schedule I controlled substances, followed by regulatory and scientific review.[8][9] Others such as the American Academy of Pediatrics oppose the legalization of medical cannabis.[10]

Medical cannabis can be administered using a variety of methods, including liquid tinctures, vaporizing or smoking dried buds, eating cannabis edibles, taking capsules, using lozenges, dermal patches, or oral/dermal sprays. Synthetic cannabinoids are available as prescription drugs in some countries; examples include: dronabinol and nabilone. Recreational use of cannabis is illegal in most parts of the world, but the medical use of cannabis is legal in a number of countries, some of which include Canada, Chile, Colombia, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Peru, and Uruguay. Australia has passed laws to allow the use of cannabis for medical and scientific purposes in some states. In the United States, 29 states and the District of Columbia have passed legislation permitting the possession, use, and distribution of medical cannabis in some form. Although cannabis remains prohibited for any use at the federal level, the Rohrabacher–Farr amendment was enacted in December 2014, limiting the ability of federal law to be enforced in states where medical cannabis has been legalized.

snip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_cannabis

I do not use it, but in the future if competent medical professionals advised its use, I would consider it just like surgery, other drugs etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Isn't she actually suing the Federal Government, not the U.S. Attorney General?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
A 12-Year-Old Girl With Epilepsy Is Suing Jeff Sessions Over Medical Marijuana
By Daniel Politi
NOV. 12 2017 6:18 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/11/12/a_12_year_old_girl_with_epilepsy_is_suing_jeff_sessions_over_medical_marijuana.html

Alexis Bortell talks to local Fox affiliate KDVR about why she has joined a lawsuit against Attorney General Jeff Sessions over medical marijuana.

Alexis Bortell’s family moved to Colorado so they could legally get their hands on the cannabis oil that has proven to be the only effective treatment for her epilepsy. But now the 12-year-old girl can’t go back to Texas, where she hopes to attend college someday. “I would like to be able to visit my grandparents without risking being taken to a foster home,” Bortell said in an interview with local Fox affiliate KDVR. So she joined a lawsuit against Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the Department of Justice, and the Drug Enforcement Agency.

In Texas, the sixth-grader’s doctors were recommending brain surgery to treat the seizures that she had been suffering from since she was seven years old. But a pediatrician suggested the family should try medical marijuana first and they haven’t looked back. Thanks to a drop of the liquid THC in the morning and another at night, Bortell has not had a single seizure in two-and-a-half years. “I'd say it`s a lot better than brain surgery,” the 12-year-old said.

[...]

She's cute but she has a choice.  Stay in Colorado and get the pot or go to Texas and get the education.

This is beyond stupid.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

@edpc

It is not the smoking of it that is medicinal; it is the oil taken by mouth.  As noted in the original article, the girl take one drop twice a day and that prevents the seizures.  The crazies want the plant to get high; the oil does nothing for them.  The oil should be a legal medicine, not the plant.  The farmers in Colorado who first grew those particular plants, kept those plants in a different area and distilled the oil for medical purposes. That stopped the little girl from having seizures almost constantly. The family sold all they had and moved there for that little girl.

Plants are made of chemicals, just as our bodies are made of chemicals.  Plant chemicals have been used for medicine and still are.  It is the dumb thinking of people who can't get past "that makes you high" so it has to be bad, that creates the present problem.  The oil does not make people nuts.  It is another part of the plant that does that - smoke the plant and it gets into the lungs and to the brain rapidly and causes confusion.  The smoke is not the part that stops seizures and the kids are not smoking it. They get drops of the oil.

Yeah, no.  The oil most certainly does have "recreational value".  It can be smoked or ingested.  In solid form it is known as hashish.

I am glad this little girl found something that helps.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
She's cute but she has a choice.  Stay in Colorado and get the pot or go to Texas and get the education.

This is beyond stupid.

I daresay Colorado is suitable for most educational pursuits.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Good post.  A little hard to read because paragraphs are our friend.

I agree with you.  Marijuana is responsible for zero deaths (at least that's what I read).

It is obviously beneficial and should be made legal.  Alcohol and legal prescription drugs are far more dangerous.

Not sure why people go into hysterics about Marijuana???
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.