Author Topic: 7 Problems With the GOP’s ‘If True, Roy Moore Should Step Aside’ Stance  (Read 493 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I think this is commentary and analysis more suited for the editorial section:

Excerpt:

7 Problems With the GOP’s ‘If True, Roy Moore Should Step Aside’ Stance

Here’s a look at seven reasons why “if true, he should step aside” is problematic.

It takes no stand on the truth of the allegations

The Washington Post story which revealed the allegations involves interviews with more than 30 people, court records which backed up key details from the accounts and four women who independently volunteered their stories.” Saying “if these allegations are true” begs the question of what more evidence the elected official would need to make a determination.

To be fair, elected officials had only a single news story to go on when they gave that response — and many had not had time to read it thoroughly and carefully — and nothing has been proven in a court of law. But politicians are called on to make decisions based on incomplete information all the time, as former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney noted in his response.

Read more at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/7-problems-gop-true-roy-182527067.html

Offline jpsb

But of course the accuser must always be believed. /s Typical Yahoo crap.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Most of these boil down to "they might doubt the accusations, and we can't have that."

Plus, they forgot one inconvenient truth about all of this: Moore CAN'T step aside without handing the election to a Democrat. If he did now, he'd still be on the ballot. If he were to be elected and refuse the seat, they'd have to go through yet another round of elections (primary, runoff, general), and nobody wants that. That's why the WaPo waited until now to fish for this story.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I am sick to DEATH of surrender monkeys!   9999hair out0000
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

But of course the accuser must always be believed. /s Typical Yahoo crap.

Yahoo conglomerates news from different sources, this is not from Yahoo, this is from Time, one can say they are no better but again, that is throwing stones at the messenger not the message.

Offline TomSea

Most of these boil down to "they might doubt the accusations, and we can't have that."

Plus, they forgot one inconvenient truth about all of this: Moore CAN'T step aside without handing the election to a Democrat. If he did now, he'd still be on the ballot. If he were to be elected and refuse the seat, they'd have to go through yet another round of elections (primary, runoff, general), and nobody wants that. That's why the WaPo waited until now to fish for this story.

They can still have a write-in for other candidates.

Also, per Hannity last night, even if Moore wins, he can still be blocked from the Senate.  Some other process and it sounds like that is at least, a possibility.  Who said this was some official or ex-official from Alabama.

Offline TomSea

which revealed the allegations involves interviews with more than 30 people, court records which backed up key details from the accounts and four women who independently volunteered their stories.”

This is just a bit more than some woman said this without any back up.

I think there is room to believe Lee and Romney could be right. These people are all lawyers, so they can decide.

Offline TomSea

The surrender monkeys gave us Obama... oh the irony.  9999hair out0000

Offline The_Reader_David

Yahoo conglomerates news from different sources, this is not from Yahoo, this is from Time, one can say they are no better but again, that is throwing stones at the messenger not the message.

Yahoo! News does indeed function as a news aggregator, rather than an independent news source, but the selection of news sources and the editorial policy (or algorithm) by which they select them seems to result in a more resolutely left-wing view than is found in most of the individual sources they aggregate from, so there is some justice to a "typical Yahoo crap" judgement.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think this is commentary and analysis more suited for the editorial section:

Excerpt:

You are getting close with the suggestion this belongs in "Editorial."  A better classification would be in the trash bin or "Alternate Realities." There are at least seven things wrong with this garbage from Time.  It assumes guilt in every paragraph.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline dfwgator

I wish McConnell fought against the Democrats as hard as he is against Moore.

Offline skeeter

You are getting close with the suggestion this belongs in "Editorial."  A better classification would be in the trash bin or "Alternate Realities." There are at least seven things wrong with this garbage from Time.  It assumes guilt in every paragraph.

The usual crowd’s MO from this point forward is to publish the same damn story, with slight variations as justification, but with the same unverifiable salacious details, twice a day until they get the desired result.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The usual crowd’s MO from this point forward is to publish the same damn story, with slight variations as justification, but with the same unverifiable salacious details, twice a day until they get the desired result.

Absolutely right!  Nailed it!   888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien