Author Topic: Sick And Tired Of This $#!T  (Read 2486 times)

Offline mrclose

Sick And Tired Of This $#!T
« on: November 11, 2017, 12:43:54 am »
Wasn't sure where to post this?

As you can see from my Title ... I am P!$$ed!

I am receiving calls from unavailable .. constantly!

As I write this the same call has come 4 times.

It happens at least 15 to 20 times daily!

I have nomorobo through Verizon FIOS but I can't add 'unavailable' to the block list.
(Nomorobo is a Great free robo-blocking service that you don't have to have verizon to use)

The phone usually rings 3 times and then you hear the sound that usually comes with an early hangup.

(My phone answers on the 5th ring)

I've tried the block all unavailable/private option BUT Verizon keeps saying that they couldn't process my request at this time, please try again later!

(That has been going on for a week now)

There is no way to see what number is calling and it seems that nothing can be done?

Nomorobo catches ALL of the other calls but can't catch this 'unavailable' call!

Just received the call 2 more times!!

Am I the only one that this is happening to?

Thank You. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:45:34 am by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Sick And Tired Of This $#!T
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 12:56:47 am »
I don't think I am getting those but they are getting smarter. Instead of not showing a number or even a long distance number they are using local numbers...so I think the call is from somebody in my area..or someone I know...Then I get this hyper female voice saying * Oh geez I have been trying to reach you Nancy...blah blah blah*...I don't fall for it anymore and have managed to stop by blocking the several numbers they were using.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mrclose

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 01:08:47 am »
I don't think I am getting those but they are getting smarter. Instead of not showing a number or even a long distance number they are using local numbers...so I think the call is from somebody in my area..or someone I know...Then I get this hyper female voice saying * Oh geez I have been trying to reach you Nancy...blah blah blah*...I don't fall for it anymore and have managed to stop by blocking the several numbers they were using.

The call is so strange because it only rings 3 times and then disconnects with which almost sounds like a busy signal?

I was wondering if my number is being used to spoof others with?

I am so tired of this CR@P! :chairbang:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:09:20 am by mrclose »
~ Self

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 03:37:01 pm »
   Months ago I was working on a Customers problematic QuickBooks Installation/Registration on a new hard drive, of course the customer lost all documentation except the 2 valid numbers needed to activate. Looking online to find a valid company 1-800 to call, I gave it a shot, even asking the tech where his company headquarters were.  He rattled off the Corporate headquarters which jived with what I was looking at online for Quicken. After about 20 minutes my suspicions arose when he tried to sell me a newer version of the software at a highly inflated price, realizing then it was a con, I cussed him out (in English) and hung up on him.
   Fast Forward, months later and I'm still getting voice msgs from the IRS/FBI/CIA/KGB informing me that I am in trouble, the ba$tard gave my phone number to every flake out there.  I just don't answer my phone anymore and I feel like my life is much more complete now.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 04:12:27 pm »

Yes. Me too. When I get a call that seems 'local', I think it is a real call and answer it. But, sometimes it turns out to be a spam call from California or whatever. How they are patching through to present a 'local' area code is something that I cannot explain.

And, like @corbe said, unless I am sure that I know who is calling, I just don't answer the phone. Let it go to voicemail. If it is a legitimate call, I'll deal with it then.

Also, @mrclose some phones support a feature that will block all calls except numbers in your Contacts list. You would have to call whoever your provider is, TMobile, Verizon, Sprint, etc, to see if you can configure your phone to do this.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:14:54 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 10:51:10 pm »
I use nomorobo with my Verizon FIOS digital landline.

Neither nomorobo or Verizon's blocker can block this unavailable call that I get over twenty times a day!

The reason?
There is NO number that is associated with the call and the best guess is that it's voip generated.
~ Self

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 10:57:22 pm »
Sometimes, simple things work.

I few weeks ago, I complained about this to a friend of mine.
He said, "Answer, but don't say anything. The caller will think they've reached a dead line, and sometimes won't call back".
It doesn't work 100% of the time, but it does work.
The ones that bother me are to local ones that call and only change the number by a digit, after I block the 1st, 2nd,3rd, etc...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 11:04:21 pm »
I called a few of those local numbers back, thinking one of the tribe had gotten in a bind and was calling Papa for help. They hadn't called and were confused, so someone is using valid local numbers, including cell numbers, and spoofing caller IDs with them.
I questioned the practice, but it is legal to spoof a caller ID. (Tell me someone couldn't be set up for just about any allegation by doing that--"but her number is on your cell phone as receiving incoming calls...")
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 11:07:15 pm »
The call is so strange because it only rings 3 times and then disconnects with which almost sounds like a busy signal?

I was wondering if my number is being used to spoof others with?

I am so tired of this CR@P! :chairbang:
After 3 rings, most voicemail kicks in.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 11:28:08 pm »
I use nomorobo with my Verizon FIOS digital landline.

Neither nomorobo or Verizon's blocker can block this unavailable call that I get over twenty times a day!

The reason?
There is NO number that is associated with the call and the best guess is that it's voip generated.

@mrclose

There is a number associated with it.   It can't be routed thru the switch without it.   Caller I'd comes from a different set of digits in the call header.   The phone company could trace these back but they don't care. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 01:01:32 am »
I've been getting emails for the last couple weeks telling me that my health "care" "insurance" may go up and I need to visit the $2,000,000,000 gov't website.  Same thing every day.

Today they started in on the phone attacks.

Your grandchildrens' tax dollars at "work".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Silver Pines

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 08:26:11 pm »
Wasn't sure where to post this?

As you can see from my Title ... I am P!$$ed!

I am receiving calls from unavailable .. constantly!

As I write this the same call has come 4 times.

It happens at least 15 to 20 times daily!

I have nomorobo through Verizon FIOS but I can't add 'unavailable' to the block list.
(Nomorobo is a Great free robo-blocking service that you don't have to have verizon to use)

The phone usually rings 3 times and then you hear the sound that usually comes with an early hangup.

(My phone answers on the 5th ring)

I've tried the block all unavailable/private option BUT Verizon keeps saying that they couldn't process my request at this time, please try again later!

(That has been going on for a week now)

There is no way to see what number is calling and it seems that nothing can be done?

Nomorobo catches ALL of the other calls but can't catch this 'unavailable' call!

Just received the call 2 more times!!

Am I the only one that this is happening to?

Thank You.

@mrclose

We received a lot of "unavailable" calls until we got rid of our landline.  Our smartphones sometimes get robo calls with the local numbers, but they're easily blocked.  So that's an option, but if you want to keep your landline, maybe one of these might help:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-block-unavailable-numbers-on-landline-phones

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/how-to-make-unavailable-number-show-up/

https://itstillworks.com/12268603/how-to-block-unknown-callers-on-verizon-wireless

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 08:56:26 pm »
@mrclose
@mystery-ak

DO THIS:
TURN OFF THE RINGER ON YOUR PHONE.  YOU WILL HAVE PEACE.
THEN, AT YOUR CONVENIENCE, CHECK YOUR MESSAGES AND RETURN A CALL OF ANYONE YOU NEED TO TALK TO.

Mark Twain, whose real name is Samuel L. Clemens, hated mail and didn't answer it.  He said if anything was important, the person would come see him and if it wasn't important, he didn't need to open it anyway.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 09:18:17 pm »

@mrclose

We received a lot of "unavailable" calls until we got rid of our landline.  Our smartphones sometimes get robo calls with the local numbers, but they're easily blocked.  So that's an option, but if you want to keep your landline, maybe one of these might help:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-block-unavailable-numbers-on-landline-phones

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/how-to-make-unavailable-number-show-up/

https://itstillworks.com/12268603/how-to-block-unknown-callers-on-verizon-wireless

I just discovered another option that I had no idea was available and just might work!

I stumbled onto this 'other option' on line while searching for my "unavailable" phone call, spammer solution!

I have a Panasonic  phone system that previously ... unknown to me has a feature called "No Number" Block!

There are three or four ways of blocking incoming calls on this phone system such as: "Out of Area", "Private", "Name Only" and others but the No Number block is supposed to block all calls that come in with no number, hidden or just not there!
This is exactly what I need and had no idea that it was available!

It's not in the phones menu and it's not in the manual!?

You have to push the # button, enter 240 and click select when asked if you want to block no numbers!

As I said, I stumbled across this on line!

I hope it works because these calls are getting more numerous! :shrug:

If anyone has a Panasonic phone system and are curious about this, Here is the link to the instructions:
(Ignore the lists of phones at the bottom that this is supposed to work with. My phone isn't listed but I have the option on my phone anyway!)

http://eng.faq.panasonic.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20784/~/how-to-block-calls.
~ Self

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 10:11:26 pm »

Why is this a problem?   I simply don't answer my phone unless I recognize the number.    :shrug:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 10:18:50 pm »
Why is this a problem?   I simply don't answer my phone unless I recognize the number.    :shrug:
There are times when my medical group calls and the number is from out of state and doesn't have an identifier, so some people get antsy. Like you I only answer those I know, if it's important people will leave a message and then I block the number if it's appropriate. I do know that some people have a base cell phone plan and get charged for minutes even if the call goes to voicemail.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 10:20:35 pm »
If you have teenagers in your family, sooner or later, they will run out of battery and call on a friend's phone.

C S Lewis

Offline mrclose

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 08:10:58 pm »
Panasonic did it!!!

The 20 to 30 calls a day from no number has come to an end!
YAAAAAAAAA!!

I do get other spam calls but those are effectively blocked by nomorobo and Verizon.

It was only those from no number which were impossible to stop!
UNTIL NOW!! :beer:

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:33:03 pm by mrclose »
~ Self

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 08:16:08 pm »
Panasonic did it!!!

YAAAAAAAAA!!

I do get other spam calls but those are effectively blocked by nomorobo and Verizon.

congrats, I know how frustrating that is.

I've had my number for about 8 years and still get bill collectors who call for the guy who had it before me.   It makes my day to give those folks a hard time.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 08:16:32 pm »
Panasonic did it!!!

YAAAAAAAAA!!

:hands:

Does Panasonic make cell phones?   :laugh:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Silver Pines

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 11:45:36 pm »
Panasonic did it!!!

YAAAAAAAAA!!

@mrclose, I’m really glad it worked and you can have some peace now!

Offline mrclose

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 09:47:33 pm »
Thank You Everyone!

I am getting NO spam calls now!

Well until the b@$$-turds figure out how to overcome the obstacles that are in their way again! 9999hair out0000
~ Self