Author Topic: 9-year-old cancer patient asks for cards to celebrate 'last Christmas' early  (Read 1416 times)

BassWrangler

9-year-old cancer patient asks for cards to celebrate 'last Christmas' early
Source: WLKY
Author: Samantha Brodsky
http://www.wlky.com/article/para-alpine-skier-overcomes-challenges-to-make-it-atop-the-mountain/13267536

For most, Christmas comes the same time every year. But for 9-year-old Jacob Thompson, a cancer patient with Stage 4 High Risk Neuroblastoma, the festive day is arriving early — and it will be his last.

According to the GoFundMe page set up by Jacob's mother, the family admitted him to Barbara Bush Children's Hospital on October 11 with the understanding that he would pass away within a month.

Jacob has been fighting Neuroblastoma, cancer that forms in nerve cells early on, since he was diagnosed at age 5. It has spread to his head and hip, and treatment was deemed unsuccessful.

Since Jacob is bed-ridden and has limited time left with his loved ones, they are bringing Christmas to him next weekend.

On the big day, his room will transform into a winter wonderland — snow, sparkling tree and all (even Santa). But Jacob has one request: cards from anyone "inspired to reach out" to help bring the Christmas cheer.

He has already started receiving cards. The first, from his friend, pictured a decked-out penguin (his favorite animal). According to Jacob's mother, Michelle Thompson Simard, "live like a penguin," is a motto of his. She tells GoodHousekeeping.com, that in Jacob's words, this means "be friendly, stand by each other, go the extra mile, jump into life and be cool."

"Jacob loves the holiday season," Thompson Simard said, "and we want him to know that Christmas wishes come true and that there are good people who care all around the world."

Though it's coming early under unfortunate circumstances, we're wishing this sweet boy a Christmas full of love, laughter and lots of penguins.

If you're interested in sending in a card, address them to:

Jacob Thompson
C/O Maine Medical Center
22 Bramhall St
Portland, ME 04102

I made him a nice little wooden card, using the laser cutter, as well as a gift box to protect it in shipment, and a little extra something (pics below). If you can find it in your heart to drop him a card or a note in the mail, or even a prayer for Jacob and his family - anything is great. There is still time to get a card to him, even with relatively inexpensive USPS priority mail.

Pics below of front if card - the article said that Jacob really likes penguins, so I put some Penguin Knights on the front, underneath his name. On the back I cut out a Christmas tree out of walnut, and glued that to the maple which has an engraved "Merry Christmas" and some snowflakes. The little disc in the bottom of the gift box is a spacer that is there to make the card lie flat. I engraved a penguin shape on that as well. Did all this on the laser cutter, so it wasn't much work - maybe 3 or 4 hours mostly because of my unfamiliarity with the tools. The last pic shows the gift box all assembled. Ribbon was used to create hinges, and ribbon and some stick-on velcro to make a closure.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:12:33 am by BassWrangler »

Offline RoosGirl

Nice work!

BassWrangler

Nice work!

Thanks. Truth be told, I had a ton of fun making it. According to FedEx, it was delivered today.

Offline RoosGirl

Hubby has a laser engraver, so I'll have to show him pics of this.

BassWrangler

Hubby has a laser engraver, so I'll have to show him pics of this.

What kind? This was done on a GlowForge. We have an Epilog at work, which is considerably more capable, but a shared thing and not as easy to experiment with.

Offline DB

Well done BassWrangler!

So sad.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@BassWrangler

I'll send him a card this afternoon.

Thank you for posting.

I'll even send him a Christmas beanie baby.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

BassWrangler

@BassWrangler

I'll send him a card this afternoon.

Thank you for posting.

I'll even send him a Christmas beanie baby.

Fantastic, thank you!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
That is beautiful work, BassWrangler!

Offline Suppressed

Nice job, @BassWrangler!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bolobaby

He's going to get so many cards now, it will be impossible to read them all.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline RoosGirl

What kind? This was done on a GlowForge. We have an Epilog at work, which is considerably more capable, but a shared thing and not as easy to experiment with.

Oh, I have no clue.  I stay well out of his way with that stuff.  I think the best thing he's made so far is a clock shaped like the Millenium Falcon to go in the kiddos room.

BassWrangler

Oh, I have no clue.  I stay well out of his way with that stuff.  I think the best thing he's made so far is a clock shaped like the Millenium Falcon to go in the kiddos room.

Gotcha. Seems like there's a real danger of becoming awash in arts and crafts.

BassWrangler

He's going to get so many cards now, it will be impossible to read them all.

Probably. My hope with the card I sent him was that it would be something more permanent that the parents might retain. It's a sad situation, so hoping for any little bright spot to ease their pain down the road when it's long over. And just a huge quantity showing up in itself might provide them some small happiness in a dark time.

Offline Suppressed

Probably. My hope with the card I sent him was that it would be something more permanent that the parents might retain. It's a sad situation, so hoping for any little bright spot to ease their pain down the road when it's long over. And just a huge quantity showing up in itself might provide them some small happiness in a dark time.

Yeah, it was a great idea!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

BassWrangler

Read a follow up article that said he received 40,000 cards!

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
I mailed mine on Wednesday it's adorable.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:47:19 pm by Freya »

BassWrangler

@Freya

Great! If you search for “jacob thompson cancer” there are a bunch of articles about the outpouring of good will. Also some videos of Jacob and his dad (dad sure seems like a nice man).

I started a thread on this project over on the laser cutter forums, and was asked by soeone there to make a card for a kid with CF. Here are the results. It definitely did not turn out as good. I had a lot of issues with the cardstock burning, and in the end scaled back the ambitiousness of the project in the interest of getting it mailed off in a reasonable time-frame.

(EDIT: Unicorn is because I was told the little girl like unicorns)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 04:13:40 pm by BassWrangler »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
I like unicorns.  🦄 Your cards are beautiful

I loved sending the card, I hope he likes it. Such a small thing to do to make someone happy,

@BassWrangler

Offline montanajoe

The little boy has passed..

Prayers to his parents for the greatest fear we all share e.g not seeing your kid grow up even if the end was expected...

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Prayers to his parents for the greatest fear we all share e.g not seeing your kid grow up even if the end was expected...

Dang. Rest In Peace little angel.  888cryingkitty
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:52:47 am by Freya »

BassWrangler

So sad. I was praying for a miracle...

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Can't imagine what his parents are going through.