Author Topic: Despite the chaos, Trump has managed to push the most conservative agenda in a generation  (Read 501 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
A year into the Trump era, President Trump is living up to his advance billing as a “black swan” event for American politics — disrupting everything he touches. He has opened divisions and brought chaos to both parties, and the turmoil is not going to abate with the midterm election next year, no matter what the result. The GOP may never be the same, while a lurch further to the populist left by Democrats might be a formula for additional electoral disaster. The culture wars have gone thermonuclear, with institutions such as the NFL suddenly embroiled in heightened political controversy.

Trump’s critics on both left and right may claim vindication from the latest public opinion polls showing Trump’s personal approval rating at 38% or less, the lowest ever for a first-year president. This is an abysmal rating at a time of accelerating economic growth, near-full employment, rising consumer and business confidence, and no major foreign crisis or war under way.

But given the intra-party divisions, lack of legislative progress in Congress, and the general tumult around the White House, perhaps it is more remarkable that Trump’s approval rating is as high as it is. This reflects the solidity of his base, which remains as enthusiastic for Trump today as it was during the campaign.
In assessing Trump’s accomplishments, let’s not get too distracted by his unconventional conduct.
In assessing Trump’s prospects, let’s keep in mind that Trump’s personal approval rating on election day was nearly as negative. Last year, Americans voted for someone they didn’t much like, reflecting the even greater dislike of Hillary Clinton and the desire for a change of direction in Washington. Change is what we got.

Read more at link below

Steven F. Hayward is senior resident scholar at the Institute of Governmental Studies at UC Berkeley.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-oe-election-anniversary-updates-despite-his-many-foibles-trump-has-1509748851-htmlstory.html

Brevity in posting is required. Thanks
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:20:52 am by MOD4 »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
This hitherto ideologically unmoored man has set in motion an administration arguably more conservative than Ronald Reagan’s.

I stopped reading right there.

Trump's fanatics and acolytes are just as guilty of creating fake news as the Statist/Leftists in the MSM they are at war with.

I ignore Trump, even morseso than I did Obama.

He is irrelevant to me and the things I am beholden.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.

If Trump's agenda is considered to be "conservative"... it's no wonder the USA is going to hell.

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline RoosGirl

I'm going to have to rethink you. I thought you were wittier than that.

Offline RoosGirl

More conservative than Reagan?  Nope.  More conservative than anyone since him?  That's really not saying much, so I'm not sure it's a bragging point.

Offline Frank Cannon

I'm going to have to rethink you. I thought you were wittier than that.

Hey man. I thought this was a worship thread. I'm getting my MAGA on baby.....

Offline RoosGirl

Hey man. I thought this was a worship thread. I'm getting my MAGA on baby.....

Speechless

Offline Frank Cannon