Author Topic: Roy Halladay, RIP: A fatal dream  (Read 823 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Roy Halladay, RIP: A fatal dream
« on: November 07, 2017, 11:48:37 pm »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2017/11/07/roy-halladay-rip-a-fatal-dream/

Halladay (second from right) after pitching his
2010 perfect game against the Marlins. He’d
throw a no-hitter at the Reds later that year to
open the NLDS . . .

“I have dreamed about owning a A5 since I retired!” Roy Halladay exclaimed on his Twitter account,
after purchasing the Icon single-engine, two-seat monoplane in October. “Real life is better then my
dreams!!” How could the former pitching great know bettering his dream would end up taking his life
at 40?

The only man in baseball history to pitch two no-hitters in a season in which one was a perfect game,
Halladay pitched like he had baseball in his blood. It turned out he had flying in it, too, being the son
of a corporate pilot. And it was the latter that killed him 7 November in the Gulf of Mexico, when his
dream plane went down and took him with it.

The Pasco Country, Florida sheriff’s office said his body was found near the plane. The investigation
into the crash has long since begun. This is the third time an A5 has crashed; the first, Toronto Star
reporter Rick Westhead revealed by way of the National Transportation Safety Board, involved the
plane’s lead test pilot.

And it was a tragic end for a too-young man who became only baseball’s second to pitch a postseason
no-hitter, whose career ended too soon thanks to shoulder issues,  and who loved to fly as much as he
loved staring down hitters and busting sinkers and cutters through or past them.

“Many know Roy as a Cy Young pitcher, a future Hall of Famer,” said Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco.
“We know Roy as a person. As a caring husband who lived his wife Brandy. Who loved his two boys
tremendously. He coached our baseball teams.”

Baseball is no stranger to aviation tragedies. Ken Hubbs, the Cubs second baseman who was the National
League’s Rookie of the Year in 1962, died when his private plane crashed over Utah before the 1964 season.
The irony: Hubbs took up flying to conquer his fear of it and learned to feel at peace in the air.

Roberto Clemente wasn’t a pilot, but the Hall of Fame right fielder died in the crash of an ancient Douglas
DC-7 he’d commissioned to bring supplies for relief to earthquake-hammered Managua, Nicaragua. Current
major leaguer Neil Walker is the son of a Clemente teammate who helped him load the fatal flight but
who was told by Clemente not to take the flight with him.

Yankee catcher Thurman Munson was a two-time World Series champion when his Cessna jet crashed at
an Ohio airport while he was practising takeoffs and landings. A family man who’d grown up the son of
an abusive father and who scuffled to make sense of New York’s sports heat, Munson bought the plane
so he could fly home to his family on homestands.

Marv Goodwin (Reds pitcher, 1925), Charlie Peete (Cardinals catcher, 1956), Tom Gastall (Orioles catcher,
1956), Nestor Chavez (Giants pitcher, 1967), and two Yankee pitchers, Jim Hardin (1991) and Cory Lidle
(2006) also died in plane crashes.

One major leaguer was shot down and killed piloting a B-26 in World War II. Elmer Gedeon, a former
and extremely short-lived Washington Senators outfielder, went down in 1944 while flying a mission to
bomb a V-1 buzz-bomb factory near Saint Omer. The plane was hit by heavy anti-aircraft fire and Gedeon
plus five of his crew died despite being able to parachute out of the stricken plane.

Halladay retired after two seasons worth of shoulder issues reduced him to less than the pitcher who won
one Cy Young Award each with the Blue Jays and the Phillies, who threw a perfect game at the Marlins in
May 2010, and who threw a no-hitter at the Reds to open the 2010 National League division series.

“You work hard for certain things,” said Larsen, after Halladay’s NLDS no-hitter. “I guess if you work hard
enough good things are going to happen to you and it did for me and Halladay. You have to appreciate
these things because you never know what’s going to happen in the future.”

“He was one of the best competitors who ever played this game and taught everyone around him to
prepare the right way in order to be the best,” said then-Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels when Halladay
retired after the 2013 season. “For me, personally, he helped me understand the game more and gave
me insight on how to become a top of the line starting pitcher.”

Halladay was also a man who cared about children including his own. As a Blue Jay, he created “Doc’s
Box for Kids,” named for his nickname, which brought children at Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children
to Rogers Centre to watch Blue Jays games from a private, child-friendly sky box.

He had no qualms about retiring. He threw himself into family life with his wife and two sons, becoming
the pitching coach for son Braden’s high school team at Calvary Christian. And he indulged his passion
for flying, earning his pilot’s license not long after he left baseball.

Halladay had one critic when he bought the A5—his wife, Brandy. “I didn’t grow up with airplanes, or a
comfort level like he did in small airplanes,” she said, in a video Icon itself posted after Halladay bought
the plane. “I fought hard. I was very against it.”

“She’s fought me all the way,” Halladay said. Which didn’t stop her from flying with her husband aboard
the striking-looking plane.

Not long after he acquired it, Halladay tweeted, “I keep telling my dad flying the Icon A5 low over the
water is like flying a fighter jet! His response . . . I am flying a fighter jet!!” An amphibious monoplane
with a top-mounted wing and a rear-mounted engine including a triple-blade push propeller behind the
wing, the A5 was involved in two fatal crashes prior to Halladay’s. Both were ruled pilot error.

“If you really put the hammer down, the A5 can get up to about 90 knots. It is not meant to go far, fast
or carry much load. If that’s what you need, Icon will happily give you the number for your local Cirrus
dealer—or Southwest Airlines,” wrote AVweb’s Geoff Rapoport.

“The A5 was designed for fun—and to qualify as a light-sport aircraft, which it barely did by getting a
waiver to increase its maximum takeoff weight. There are other new airplanes designed principally for
fun, mostly other light sports, but in comparison to the A5, they sometimes feel like really nice kitplanes.”

“What do clouds feel like?” Halladay tweeted after acquiring the A5 and shooting video from his cockpit.
“I didn’t know either until I got my new Icon A5! I’m getting bruises on my arms from constantly pinching
myself!”

Those who fly often believe—as I once said, on a military hop home, when the crew of a Navy P-3 aboard
which I flew invited me to ride in the cockpit so long as I was willing to bring the pilot coffee on demand—
that, when they look in front of them over the top such creamy cloud expanses, it’s as if you could reach
out and hold the hand of God Himself.

May Halladay’s homecoming be more peaceful than his departure to it, and may his family take comfort
in due course in knowing that their grief is great, but that their husband and father, who loved them dearly,
died doing something he loved, a luxury comparatively few of us will get to say.

Halladay (right) and his wife, Brandy, aboard the A5—a purchase against
which Mrs. Halladay fought futilely.

--------------------------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@DCPatriot
@truth_seeker
@musiclady
@Slip18
@Cyber Liberty
@TomSea
@Right_in_Virginia
@Freya
@flowers
@GrouchoTex
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@Mom MD

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Roy Halladay, RIP: A fatal dream
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 11:57:11 pm »
Reminds me a bit of John Denver. My Dad once had a business partner, who would crash his plane into a building near John Wayne airport, in The OC. Scott Biddle.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-02-28/local/me-12809_1_gary-mucho
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 12:04:35 am »
Reminds me a bit of John Denver.
Denver was actually flying illegally when he crashed---he'd lost his medical flight certification when the FAA
revoked it after finding he'd failed to maintain sobriety not long before his fatal crash. Denver's plane
was still classified experimental (Halladay's isn't), with Denver also having had what was ruled inadequate
transition training for handling the plane's separate fuel tanks.

That said, it's a shame both men died doing something they loved. But I repeat---how many of us will
be able to say the same thing?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 12:39:18 am »
A tragedy of the first order! 

Thanks for the great write up Ace. 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 01:11:02 am »
Thanks for the memories Doc...RIP.

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 03:14:00 am »
A real tragedy, for the BlueJays too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 07:12:47 pm »
I remember 2010 well.

Due to a buyout, I went to work for a company that was from Philadelphia, that moved here (Texas) in 2004, bringing several employees with them.
I worked there from 2007 to 2014.
2010, the Phillies had Halladay, Lee, Hamels and Roy Oswalt.
I missed the beginning of the game where Halladay tossed the no-hitter in the NLDS, but came home in time from work to see the end of it.
( I am surprised that the Philly-born company managers didn't let us go early, or turn it on in the plant).

I had an interest as an Astros fan, to see how well Roy Oswalt would do.
I figured their pitching would take them all the way, but it was not to be.

One of those Philadelphia people introduced me to Utz's dark pretzels, which I still look for now, when I travel.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 09:11:50 pm »
What a beautiful obituary @EasyAce

May I take the liberty of passing it on to a friend of mine who writes for a Philly paper?

Real loss of a talented, young player.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 09:49:44 pm »
What a beautiful obituary @EasyAce

May I take the liberty of passing it on to a friend of mine who writes for a Philly paper?

Real loss of a talented, young player.
@Freya
Thank you, and I'd be honoured if you do pass it to your friend!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 04:22:55 am »
Witnesses and video show he watched hotdogging it...repeatedly climbing and diving to within a few feet of the water.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn