Author Topic: A stray dog became the world’s first cosmonaut 60 years ago today  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Suppressed

A stray dog became the world’s first cosmonaut 60 years ago today
WRITTEN BY Ephrat Livni
7 hours ago
https://qz.com/1119003/a-stray-dog-became-the-worlds-first-cosmonaut-60-years-ago-today/

A Romanian stamp commemorating Laika, the Russian cosmonaut (1959).   (public domain)

Laika was a dog with humble beginnings who would become a global star. The first living being to leave the Earth’s orbit, taking off 60 years ago today in the Russian satellite Sputnik on Nov. 3, 1957, the stray mutt landed a place in history.

Discovered by a talent spotter from the Russian space program on the streets, the dog met all the criteria—docile, resourceful, peed without lifting a leg, and photogenic. One of six picked to train for space travel, Laika was ultimately chosen to go for her quizzical expression, her trainer, 90-year-old biologist Adilya Kotovskaya, told the Associated Press.

Indeed, in images Laika always looked gently confused, as if she already sensed her destiny and couldn’t understand why she’d die for her charms.

[...]

Excerpt.  Read more at link.

@Freya Doggie Ping  @kevindavis  Space Ping
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: A stray dog became the world’s first cosmonaut 60 years ago today
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:58:07 pm »
RIP

Laika. This story always gave me nightmares.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Suppressed

Re: A stray dog became the world’s first cosmonaut 60 years ago today
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 05:35:42 am »
RIP

Laika. This story always gave me nightmares.

Yes...the way she actually died is quite horrific, contrary to the story the Commies gave everyone at the time.  That's why I wanted to honor her today.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn