Author Topic: WS Game Seven---Springing to World Series rings  (Read 1952 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
WS Game Seven---Springing to World Series rings
« on: November 02, 2017, 04:22:05 pm »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2017/11/02/springing-to-world-series-rings/

When you’re a 56-year-old baseball team blasted inside out in grief for your hurricane-battered home
city, and you feel there’s too little you can do to remove your city’s suffering, there’s really only one
thing you can do. You can go out and play baseball and give your city a lift that can’t be paid for.

And if you just so happen to win the first World Series championship of your team’s life, your city
probably won’t care how much farther they have to go to recuperate from Harvey’s destruction,
because they’re waiting for you to head for home so they can give you a massive hug and bubble
bath the like of which you only dreamed about until now.

They’ll even let it slide that you showed up for Game Seven while the only Dodgers who didn’t seem
to be out of gas were pitchers not named Yu Darvish.

So give it up big for the spunky, funky, fun Astros, Joe and Jane America. In a still-new century when
protracted baseball championship droughts are ending promiscuously—last year’s Cubs, 2015′s Royals,
the 2010 Giants, the 2005 White Sox, the 2004 Red Sox—these Astros have made it two such endings
in as many seasons.

“It’s about the Houston Astros tonight, our city, our fans,” said Willie Mays World Series MVP George
Springer, who started the early 5-1 Astro romp with a leadoff double in the first and secured it with a
two-run homer in the second. “That patch on our chests really does mean something. We’re coming
home champions.”

But lament while you’re at it that, after all the extraterrestrial insanity of this World Series prior to
Wednesday night, the Astros and the Dodgers couldn’t find a way to see and raise. Except for the
first two innings, when you hoped for Ernie Kovacs’s Wild Kingdom you were lucky to get My
Mother, the Car.

Two Dodger pitching legends—Don Newcombe and Hall of Famer Sandy Koufax, the first and last
men to win Cy Young Awards when the prize was given to one pitcher across the board and not
one in each league—threw out the ceremonial first pitches. Either Newcombe at 91 or Koufax at
81 would have been better starting options.

Darvish picked the wrong night, against the wrong team, and especially against the wrong Willie
Mays Award winner to become the first Game Seven starting pitcher not to get out of the second
inning alive since Art Ditmar of the 1960 Yankees.

Send the Dodgers missing persons reports on some of their players, while slapping some of their
others with dereliction of duty charges. The evidence includes going 1-for-13 with men in scoring
position and only once getting anything to show for putting two or more men on base in five of the
first six innings.

Sit back, hoist a tall, cold drink, and acknowledge that, for all the back-and-forth, derring-do, high-
wire acting, trapeze swinging, clown cars, magicians, and flying tigers of Ringling Brothers and
Dodgers and Astros Circus in Games One through Six, the Dodgers finally ran out of petrol except
for four men out of the bullpen Wednesday night. And the Astros just weren’t inclined to run a spare
tank out to them on the freeway.

Toast Springer with the best champagne you can exhume. After his game-opening double, he came
home when Dodgers first baseman Cody Bellinger, going too far to his right to pick off an Alex
Bregman grounder that second baseman Logan Forsythe would have had the easier play on, threw
wild and behind the covering Darvish’s back.

In the very next inning, with Marwin Gonzalez on third, Springer wrestled Darvish to a full count
before hitting a speedy but flat fastball three or four rows into the left center field bleachers. He
drove Darvish out of the game and ushered in a parade of Dodger starters-turned-relievers interrupted
only by bona-fide reliever Kenley Jansen—in the eighth.

“I remember swinging and hearing the sound of the bat,” Springer said in the middle of the post-
game party. “I knew it was a good sound. Then I saw the flight of the ball. And I got to first base
and I rounded third, and got home and that’s a crazy feeling. It’s a very surreal feeling because
this is Game Seven.”

Springer and his manager A.J. Hinch swore his horrid American League Championship Series and
four strikeouts in Game One of the World Series were just another set of frustrations to overcome
for a guy who overcame a maddening stutter growing up, one that often left him feeling either
isolated or ridiculed.

Springer’s the perfect avatar of perseverance for a city that still has to persevere while recovering
from Harvey’s hell.

How does reaching base sixteen times and 29 total bases in the Series grab you? That’s part of
Springer’s tally, too. The guy who was the cover boy when Sports Illustrated in 2014 splashed,
Houston Astros: Your 2017 World Series Champs. No nicer guy could have defied and demolished
the notorious SI cover jinx.

How appropriate it is that the Series MVP should be named after Mays, the greatest center fielder
who ever played the game and arguably the game’s greatest player ever, period, could also be
known by remembering it wasn’t just Springer’s bat that helped ruin the Dodgers.

He made Maysian highlight reel plays in center field most of the postseason and made it all look
like he was still the kid tortured by his verbal disability who made up for it by having fun playing
baseball where nobody cared how you said anything except with your bat and your glove.

He was a big stick-swinging acrobat or a high-flying gazelle with a deadly right uppercut, depending
on your point of view. The Astros are thrilled to have both in the same fellow on their side.

From the moment he drew a Game Two walk, Springer made those frustrations seem like someone’s
short bad dream. Tying a World Series record with five bombs and setting a record with at least one
bomb in four straight Series games became just part of the Dodgers’ Game Seven nightmare.

So did Clayton Kershaw working four spotless relief innings, just two days after three brilliant innings
starting Game Five ended with him unable to hold a three and then a four-run lead.

He relieved Brandon Morrow and preceded Kenley Jansen, and the way those three plus Alex Wood
pitched Wednesday night the second guessers will have a winter wonderland ahead of them. They’ll
spend the winter wondering—particularly given Kershaw’s pre-game proclamation that he’d throw
27 outs if needed and his four actual innings pitched—why the Dodgers didn’t ask him for what they
asked Koufax the last time they got to a Game Seven.

“There’s only one team that can succeed. There’s only one team that wins the last game, so that’s
tough,” Kershaw said. “I think once the dust settles and we go home, we can realize that we had a
pretty amazing season and we finished in second place, which nobody cares about or remembers.”

What they’ll remember is how Astros starter Lance McCullers, Jr. was erratic enough in Game Seven
to slap silly for two and a third innings, starting with Chris Taylor’s own first inning leadoff double, yet
the Dodgers could drive him out of the game with no runs on the board to show for it.

They’ll remember the Dodgers scratching only a single run against Charlie Morton, another Astro
pitching hero who came on in relief to open the bottom of the sixth, with a leadoff single, a followup
walk, and a one-out single to right by Andre Ethier pinch hitting for Kershaw.

Then they’ll remember Morton going the rest of the distance and picking up the official win, since
he was the only Astro pitcher to work more than two and a third despite Brad Peacock, Francisco
Liriano, and Chris Devenski dodging bullets of their own to keep the Dodgers off the board.

They might even remember the Astros teasing the Dodgers late in the game when both Justin
Verlander and Dallas Keuchel warmed up for short spells in the bullpen, even if Hinch was really
going to ride Morton to the finish line.

They’ll remember the slings and arrows as the Astros undertook that painful (some said tanking)
rebuild that survived four hundred-loss seasons but produced critical drafts such as McCullers,
second baseman Jose Altuve, shortstop Carlos Correa, third baseman Bregman, and delivered
such trades as the ones that brought aboard Keuchel, Morton, Peacock, and especially Verlander.

No one questions otherwise. Delivering Verlander on 31 August this year probably meant securing
the American League Central. Altuve’s likely MVP season, plus Springers’ and Correa’s All-Star
seasons, lined them up for it. Throw in Alex Bregman and you’ve got Astro star power for years
to come.

But Springer turned out the real leader of their World Series pack. He was drafted the same year
Altuve debuted, and general manager Jeff Luhnow had said from the outset that, when Springer
arrived in the Show three years after he was drafted, he knew the Astros were going nowhere but
up.

Now they’ve reached the Promised Land. It took them 56 years and a change of leagues (they
were the team to be named later in the deal that made a National League team out of the Brewers)
to do it. And of all the Astro teams who tried and failed, of all the Astro teams that were great
one period and calamitous the next, this one is both great and the most fun.

Even if this Game Seven, in this World Series, turned out to be a little too sedate by the standards
set in the first six games.

“Remember when you were just a kid and you’d skip supper to play ball?” Dick Allen, near the end
of his solid but tortured career, told Mike Schmidt at the beginning of his Hall of Fame career. “You
were having fun. Hey, with all the talent you’ve got, baseball ought to be fun. Enjoy it. Be a kid
again.”

That smiling Astro center fielder who was six parts Willie Mays and half a dozen parts the Say Hey
Kid this World Series plays the game as if he doesn’t have to be told to be a kid again. And his team
is preparing for a blue and orange parade racket Friday because they played the game the same
way, and won big.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@GrouchoTex
@musiclady
@Right_in_Virginia
@TomSea
@truth_seeker
@DCPatriot
@Mom MD
@Freya
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@Slip18
@flowers
@dfwgator
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:34:15 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

Re: WS Game Seven---Springing to World Series rings
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 04:28:55 pm »
BRAVO!!! GREAT article @EasyAce!

Great game!  Great series!  Great AMERICAN story!!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 04:38:49 pm »

Just in case anyone was curious, George Springer is half Puerto Rican (his mother) and part
Panamanian (his paternal grandfather). His father pitched in the 1976 Little League World
Series; George III himself (he's the third George Springer in his family line) grew up idolising
Torii Hunter---even getting to play catch with Hunter when he was eight years old.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 05:42:21 pm »
I think the entire Houston area is exhausted today.
We've had a pretty slow work day here.
I'm not complaining.
I am pretty tired, myself.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 05:51:54 pm »
This World Series may even prove to set a record for preceding . . .  marriages:

* Justin Verlander is going to marry Kate Upton this weekend.
* Carlos Correa proposed to his girl friend after the Series ended . . . and she accepted.
* George Springer will marry his fiancee in January.
* Brian McCann's mother is going to remarry. Her intended: the father of his former Yankee teammate Mark Teixiera.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 06:41:19 pm by EasyAce »

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 05:54:22 pm »
   Great Post, again @EasyAce I relived the whole game again through your words and my Heart swelled with Pride. Thanks.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 06:09:12 pm »
This World Series may even prove to set a record for preceding . . .  marriages:

* Justin Verlander is going to marry Kate Moss this weekend.
* Carlos Correa proposed to his girl friend after the Series ended . . . and she accepted.
* George Springer will marry his fiancee in January.
* Brian McCann's mother is going to remarry. Her intended: the father of his former Yankee teammate Mark Teixiera.

I wonder how many babies being born in the area, 9 months from now, will be named, Justin, Carlos, Jose, George, and (heaven forbid) Dallas?
Just joshin' the Dallas area fans.
They did something classy last night and put the Astros name in lights, in downtown Dallas.
Maybe a makeup for those Harvey road game switch-up fiasco?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 06:20:19 pm »
I wonder how many babies being born in the area, 9 months from now, will be named, Justin, Carlos, Jose, George, and (heaven forbid) Dallas?
Just joshin' the Dallas area fans.
Not to mention Alex, Marwin, Brian, Charlie, and Brad . . .

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 06:48:25 pm »
We enjoyed the game last night quite a bit.  We noticed a marked change in the announcers' tenor around the 7th-8th innings.  They were sounding just like Rachel Madow last Election Night.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 06:53:42 pm »
We enjoyed the game last night quite a bit.  We noticed a marked change in the announcers' tenor around the 7th-8th innings.  They were sounding just like Rachel Madow last Election Night.
So might you have, if you were announcing a game in which the Dodgers basically looked a gift horse
in the mouth, which is exactly what they did when Lance McCullers, Jr. was trying to hand them runs
on a plate. The Dodgers' pitching went lights out after the Astros smashed Yu Darvish like a pinata,
and the Dodgers' hitters surrendered before the war was over.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 08:03:38 pm »

I don't think Joe Buck ever recovered after his beloved Aaron Judge was knocked out of the playoffs.

Maybe even before when Judge couldn't hit worth spit against the Indians.  ^-^
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:23:09 am by musiclady »

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 08:09:56 pm »
I don't think Joe Buck ever recovered after his beloved Adam Judge was knocked out of the playoffs.

Maybe even before when Judge couldn't hit worth spit against the Indians.  ^-^

:beer:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 08:17:37 pm »
So might you have, if you were announcing a game in which the Dodgers basically looked a gift horse
in the mouth, which is exactly what they did when Lance McCullers, Jr. was trying to hand them runs
on a plate. The Dodgers' pitching went lights out after the Astros smashed Yu Darvish like a pinata,
and the Dodgers' hitters surrendered before the war was over.

I agree...especially if you've been rooting for the Dodgers the whole series.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 08:41:29 pm »
Hands up to everyone who remembers when the Astros were born as . . .

(The armband was in honour of Jim Ulbricht, a Colts pitcher who died of cancer before Opening Day, 1964.
The uniform a replica of one worn by Joe Morgan that season.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:42:00 pm by EasyAce »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 08:47:06 pm »
You're about as likely to see one of those today as you are seeing a remake of Blazing Saddles....
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 09:19:29 pm »

What she said!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 09:43:30 pm »

(The armband was in honour of Jim Ulbricht, a Colts pitcher who died of cancer before Opening Day, 1964.
The uniform a replica of one worn by Joe Morgan that season.)

@EasyAce

Yours truly from the Houston North side was invited to a Colt 45s tryout camp in the summer of 65. Got an offer but wound up playing for another team instead.  Got to go to exotic places and carry all the guns and ammo I was man enough to manage. Got done with that and got yet another chance to play professionally but it didn't work out (I chose to stay married rather than chase the dream).  Wound up playing semi-pro ball on the Gulf Coast until my work took me back overseas and that was that!  And all these years later the only thing I still wonder about is "could I have made it?"

The end!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 12:07:48 am »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 12:44:26 am »
You're about as likely to see one of those today as you are seeing a remake of Blazing Saddles....
The Astros wear those old Colts jerseys on some turn-back-the-clock days/nights. A few years ago,
MLB sanctioned their using the originals, complete with the pistols, after a few nannies yapped
about the usual gun-control chazerei . . .

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 06:28:39 pm »
The Houston Colt 45's/Astro's and myself were both born in 1962.
I do know the history, but I was too young to see them play under the Colt 45 name, only on throwback days.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 06:29:38 pm »
The Astros wear those old Colts jerseys on some turn-back-the-clock days/nights. A few years ago,
MLB sanctioned their using the originals, complete with the pistols, after a few nannies yapped

I did happen to catch one of those games live at Minute Maid park.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 06:32:39 pm »

What year did they change the name?

Neither my husband nor I can remember.

(We were NOT born in 1962, and were well old enough to remember that year.  ^-^)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 06:38:51 pm »

Don't mess with Texas....

888high58888
I will NOT comply.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 06:40:28 pm »

(We were NOT born in 1962, and were well old enough to remember that year.  ^-^)

1965, with the opening of the Astrodome...

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 06:41:51 pm »

The name change began with the 1965 season---the year they moved into the Astrodome.,
a.k.a. (thanks to Joe Pepitone, a 1970 Astro) the World's Biggest Hair Dryer.

Trivia: Mickey Mantle hit the first home run in the Astrodome, in a pre-season exhibition
game.

Also, Lindsey Nelson of the New York Mets once broadcast a game from the gondola at
the absolute top of the Astrodome, in April 1965 . . .

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:44:04 pm by EasyAce »