Author Topic: World's most expensive dram of Scotch was a fake  (Read 810 times)

Offline Suppressed

World's most expensive dram of Scotch was a fake
« on: November 02, 2017, 03:18:39 pm »
World's most expensive dram of Scotch was a fake
By Magnus Bennett
BBC Scotland news website   02 November 2017

The dram was bought for £7,600

A dram of vintage Scotch bought by a Chinese millionaire in a Swiss hotel bar for £7,600 was a fake, laboratory tests have concluded.

Analysts from Scotland were called in by the Waldhaus Am See hotel in St Moritz after experts questioned the authenticity of the 2cl shot.

It had been poured from an unopened bottle labelled as an 1878 Macallan single malt.

It is believed to be the largest sum ever paid for a poured dram of Scotch.

But analysis found that it was almost certainly not distilled before 1970.

The hotel said it had accepted the findings and reimbursed the customer in full.

[...]

Mr Bernasconi broke the bad news to Mr Zhang when he flew out to China to reimburse him recently.

He added: "When I showed him the results, he was not angry - he thanked me very much for the hotel's honesty and said his experience in Switzerland had been good.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: World's most expensive dram of Scotch was a fake
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 03:21:40 pm »

I don't know. A '70 Macallen would be a score.

Offline libertybele

Re: World's most expensive dram of Scotch was a fake
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 06:41:35 pm »

I don't know. A '70 Macallen would be a score.

The taste test would have been enough for me and I doubt I would have then gone through the trouble of having it tested for age.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.