Author Topic: Father Uses .44 Magnum to Shoot Grizzly Bear off Son  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Father Uses .44 Magnum to Shoot Grizzly Bear off Son
« on: October 31, 2017, 02:24:57 pm »
Ammoland, Oct 30 2017, Dean Weingarten

Arizona -(Ammoland.com)– On the morning of 24 September, 2017, David Buckallew, 63, and his son, Rory, 35, were hunting black bear. David was along as an observer. Only Rory carried a rifle, a Remington model 700, semi-customized in the wildcat 6.5mm-06 caliber. Dave carried a Taurus Tracker stainless steel 4 inch .44 magnum in a Montana Holster shoulder rig made by Norm Schertenleib. Rory carried a Glock model 20 in 10mm.

The morning was cool with a light frost in low spots at Kalispell, Montana.  There was little wind. Sunrise was at 7:28 local.  Before 9 am, the men had spotted a black bear and were attempting to get in position for a shot. They were moving through thick cover on the steep side slope east of the Hungry Horse reservoir.

More: https://www.ammoland.com/2017/10/father-uses-44-magnum-to-shoot-grizzly-bear-off-son/#axzz4wnmbPym3

Online roamer_1

Re: Father Uses .44 Magnum to Shoot Grizzly Bear off Son
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 03:57:57 pm »
Ammoland, Oct 30 2017, Dean Weingarten

Arizona -(Ammoland.com)– On the morning of 24 September, 2017, David Buckallew, 63, and his son, Rory, 35, were hunting black bear. David was along as an observer. Only Rory carried a rifle, a Remington model 700, semi-customized in the wildcat 6.5mm-06 caliber. Dave carried a Taurus Tracker stainless steel 4 inch .44 magnum in a Montana Holster shoulder rig made by Norm Schertenleib. Rory carried a Glock model 20 in 10mm.

The morning was cool with a light frost in low spots at Kalispell, Montana.  There was little wind. Sunrise was at 7:28 local.  Before 9 am, the men had spotted a black bear and were attempting to get in position for a shot. They were moving through thick cover on the steep side slope east of the Hungry Horse reservoir.

More: https://www.ammoland.com/2017/10/father-uses-44-magnum-to-shoot-grizzly-bear-off-son/#axzz4wnmbPym3

Heh. First I've heard of it - And I know this guy... Good friends with his dad.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 07:20:34 pm »
Heh. First I've heard of it - And I know this guy... Good friends with his dad.

Tell him for me, "well done!"   :beer:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 08:20:14 pm »
Tell him for me, "well done!"   :beer:

Yeah, I'd say the narrative really doesn't do it justice.
Especially the whole 'wounded bear griz in the woods' scenario and walking out with that on your mind - not to mention one of you leaving a blood trail...

I don't know which would be more terrifying, the attack or the walk-out!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 08:29:23 pm »
Yeah, I'd say the narrative really doesn't do it justice.
Especially the whole 'wounded bear griz in the woods' scenario and walking out with that on your mind - not to mention one of you leaving a blood trail...

I don't know which would be more terrifying, the attack or the walk-out!

FWP found the dead bear the next day. It was a 12-year-old dry sow. It was not lactating and did not have young cubs. It was about 250 lbs, and in good shape. 250 lbs is a reasonable weight for an adult sow grizzly in the mountains. The bear did not have any tags, or previous history of aggressive encounters with humans. Unprovoked grizzly attacks have been noted throughout the history of grizzly bears.  The current fad is to always assign a human motivation.

Can this be correct?  I would have thought adult Grizz to be much larger than that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 08:38:08 pm »
Can this be correct?  I would have thought adult Grizz to be much larger than that.

Yeah it can, but seems pretty light to me, especially in the fall, when they are packin it on for the big sleep. Female griz run 300-400 pounds generally, and males can near double that.

But yeah, a 13yo dry sow that underweight (well, that 'on the light side') sounds like there were problems.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 08:44:36 pm »
Yeah it can, but seems pretty light to me, especially in the fall, when they are packin it on for the big sleep. Female griz run 300-400 pounds generally, and males can near double that.

But yeah, a 13yo dry sow that underweight (well, that 'on the light side') sounds like there were problems.

OK!  Thanks! 

BTW:  The story makes a lot out of the shot counting in this incident but the math I learned many years ago says 3+1 = 4   not 5.  That leaves one still in the chamber.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 08:49:33 pm »
OK!  Thanks! 

BTW:  The story makes a lot out of the shot counting in this incident but the math I learned many years ago says 3+1 = 4   not 5.  That leaves one still in the chamber.

Some of the .44 revolvers are only a 5 round wheel (Taurus Tracker in .44 mag springs to mind), and he carried on an empty  :shrug:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:50:00 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 09:04:19 pm »
Some of the .44 revolvers are only a 5 round wheel (Taurus Tracker in .44 mag springs to mind), and he carried on an empty  :shrug:

AH!  I thought it to be a 6 holer!    :thud:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 09:17:11 pm »
AH!  I thought it to be a 6 holer!    :thud:

I'll bet that incident cured him of the 'safety' of carrying on a dead hole...
I finally went to 1911 .45ACP because of the extra rounds (I've been on a wheel gun almost my whole life)... On up in here, if you're pulling a hawg-leg, It's already too late, and it's likely over with when it runs out of rounds... Reloading/Clip-change is after the fact, if you're still around, as this story plainly relates. Four more rounds would have been priceless.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 10:09:12 pm »
I'll bet that incident cured him of the 'safety' of carrying on a dead hole...
I finally went to 1911 .45ACP because of the extra rounds (I've been on a wheel gun almost my whole life)... On up in here, if you're pulling a hawg-leg, It's already too late, and it's likely over with when it runs out of rounds... Reloading/Clip-change is after the fact, if you're still around, as this story plainly relates. Four more rounds would have been priceless.

We are 100% on the same page!  888high58888

- J. R. R. Tolkien