Author Topic: 'Surprising' number of food allergies begin in adulthood, study says  (Read 1046 times)

rangerrebew

'Surprising' number of food allergies begin in adulthood, study says
Published Friday 27 October 2017
By Maria Cohut   

New research has found that almost half of people diagnosed with food allergies developed this condition in adulthood, with Hispanic, Asian, and black individuals most at risk.

According to data made available by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 5.7 percent of children in the United States displayed signs of a food allergy in the past year.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319885.php

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: 'Surprising' number of food allergies begin in adulthood, study says
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 07:25:32 pm »
That is surprising.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 08:11:07 pm »
Well, I suddenly couldn't drink milk at age 25.  Eventually, a few years ago, I couldn't eat most other dairy either.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 08:21:16 pm »
Well, I suddenly couldn't drink milk at age 25.  Eventually, a few years ago, I couldn't eat most other dairy either.

Try raw milk if you have a source.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 08:58:35 pm »
Try raw milk if you have a source.

Thanks, but I'm allergic to lactose, whey and other components of milk, and I believe raw milk has them too. 

Oddly, I can tolerate certain aged cheeses like cheddar.  Presumably, the aging process nullifies the effects of the lactose, whey, etc.  I don't know myself -- that's what I've been told.

Usually end up drinking almond or cashew milk or having a yogurt substitute made with soy, almond or coconut milk. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 09:11:50 pm »
Thanks, but I'm allergic to lactose, whey and other components of milk, and I believe raw milk has them too. 

Oddly, I can tolerate certain aged cheeses like cheddar.  Presumably, the aging process nullifies the effects of the lactose, whey, etc.  I don't know myself -- that's what I've been told.

Usually end up drinking almond or cashew milk or having a yogurt substitute made with soy, almond or coconut milk.

I think Almond Milk is pretty good.  The non-sweetened kind actually has less sugar than skim milk.

Don't know if I'd want to drink a lot of it, but it's very good on cereal.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 09:23:36 pm »
That is surprising.
Not really. When I was a kid, we ate a lot of seafood, Blue Crab, shellfish, fish, now my mother can't touch any of it. Of course, we don't know what antigens have become incorporated into the food chain there in that time, either, any of which might be responsible for the anaphylaxis, rather than the organism itself. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 09:26:15 pm »
Not really. When I was a kid, we ate a lot of seafood, Blue Crab, shellfish, fish, now my mother can't touch any of it. Of course, we don't know what antigens have become incorporated into the food chain there in that time, either, any of which might be responsible for the anaphylaxis, rather than the organism itself.

Well, it is surprising to me!  I know people tend to become lactose intolerant as they age, but not to other common foods.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 09:28:36 pm »
I think Almond Milk is pretty good.  The non-sweetened kind actually has less sugar than skim milk.

Don't know if I'd want to drink a lot of it, but it's very good on cereal.

Works in some dishes in place of milk.  I use it in pancakes in place of milk or buttermilk.

Some people tell me not to drink the non-dairy milk substitutes because they are processed and what not.  But I like them and so far, I haven't had any adverse effects. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 09:30:14 pm »
Works in some dishes in place of milk.  I use it in pancakes in place of milk or buttermilk.

Some people tell me not to drink the non-dairy milk substitutes because they are processed and what not.  But I like them and so far, I haven't had any adverse effects.

I understand it's very easy to make almond milk.  http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-almond-milk-at-home-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-189996

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 09:33:02 pm »
Well, it is surprising to me!  I know people tend to become lactose intolerant as they age, but not to other common foods.
In my family, drug intolerance develops toward penicillin some time during/after puberty.

That isn't so surprising, when you think of the biochemical changes the human body undergoes at puberty, and circa menopause, not to mention pregnancy. With a changing biochemical situation, I would expect that some things would become less friendly, perhaps reflected in changing taste in food in general, with changing dietary tolerances and needs.
I have seen grand kids who would not eat eggs or touch peanut butter become avid fans of both, after they hit their late teens. My mother developed her allergy when we kids were fully grown...so that fits.

If I had to guess a single factor, though, she had a reaction to Starlink corn, which had made its way into some taco shells she had eaten. She had had a coupole of different reactions, and the doctor asked her what pesticides she had been using (she hadn't). The doctor couldn't figure out what was going on, and she had been to the ER twice. When I talked with her I had read about the Starlink corn getting into a batch of consumer products and checked. They were the right brand, she threw them away, end of reactions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarLink_corn_recall
Since then, though, there has been a shift in the crops grown in the area, from tobacco (only the Amish grow Tobacco in Southern Maryland, now, a legacy of The Tobacco Settlement) to grains, mainly corn and soybeans. The seafood in question has come from estuaries adjacent to the farm fields where tobacco is no longer grown, and there may be some transfer of proteins from the corn corps to the seafood--a link I can only postulate, and which would require some research to verify or refute.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:50:21 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 11:07:26 pm »

Usually end up drinking almond or cashew milk or having a yogurt substitute made with soy, almond or coconut milk. Our sitter's family is almost all lactose intolerant, but they can drink raw milk without problems. It's an expensive product, though.

Yes, but many people who are lactose intolerant and try raw milk find that they can drink it with little to no problems.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 11:09:09 pm by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 11:30:22 pm »
My niece did fine with all varieties of food until her early teens. After seeing innumerable doctors, including those at the Mayo Clinic, the cause of her great abdominal pain and bloating was found to be celiac disease (not just the "gluten intolerance" that seems to be all the rage). When she was 12, we took her to Europe and she ate massive plates of pasta without difficulty. Go figure.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 11:33:06 pm »
My niece did fine with all varieties of food until her early teens. After seeing innumerable doctors, including those at the Mayo Clinic, the cause of her great abdominal pain and bloating was found to be celiac disease (not just the "gluten intolerance" that seems to be all the rage). When she was 12, we took her to Europe and she ate massive plates of pasta without difficulty. Go figure.

My cousin is able to use Einkorn wheat with her son, who has a gluten allergy. I know that's not the same as celiac, but it's worth a try.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 11:38:20 pm »
She and my sister, her mom, have gotten the whole gluten-free lifestyle down to a science, I think (separate cooking utensils, etc.). She even found a GF restaurant in Pgh that she loves. At age 21 she manages her condition pretty well. It's a heck of a way to live.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 12:38:33 am »
Yes, but many people who are lactose intolerant and try raw milk find that they can drink it with little to no problems.

Well, these days my problem seems to be milk in general.  As I said, for me it's not just the lactose. It's everything else in the milk. 

Someone suggested goat's milk. I tried that.  No improvement.

I did check to see if raw milk is legal in PA. In some places it isn't.   Raw milk is legal here.  However, it seems to only be sold in the eastern part of the state, not in the west where I live.  There was a controversy here about it sometime back --people concerned that raw milk wasn't safe.  I believe that controversy resulted in some stringent rules and regulations to ensure safety.  And those rules and regulations probably make raw milk costly.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 12:39:19 am by Applewood »