Author Topic: WS Game Five---Monty Python's Flying Series  (Read 1368 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
WS Game Five---Monty Python's Flying Series
« on: October 30, 2017, 05:27:48 pm »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2017/10/30/monty-pythons-flying-series/

Forget any previous comparisons to The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, and St. Elsewhere. This
is Monty Python’s Flying Series. On Sunday night it was as though the Dodgers and Astros agreed
before the first pitch, “And now, for something completely different . . . ” As if this World Series
wasn’t, already.

This Game Five may not be the greatest World Series game ever played, but it was for damn sure the
most entertaining. So much so that you might even find Astro fans who were sorry only that it had to
end when young third baseman Alex Bregman walked it off with an RBI single in the bottom of the
tenth.

After all, nobody ever really wants a good Marx Brothers film to end. Not even after you learn that, while
making A Day at the Races, and despite knowing by the script how the big race was going to turn out,
Chico actually bet on the wrong horse.

“Who knows where this one ranks, right up there with that game—back and forth, the two best teams
in baseball fighting to the very end and going toe to toe with each other,” said Bregman when it finally
ended. “Everybody was used on both teams, pretty much, every single player. It was special for us to
come out on top.”

The Astros and the Dodgers played for five hours and seventeen minutes. I didn’t hear anyone complaining
about the actual or allegedly swelling length of baseball games this time. “Yeah, five-hour game, but it
doesn’t matter,” said breathless Astros second baseman Jose Altuve. “I can play a ten-hour game if we
are going to win.”

On Sunday night he had to settle for a ten-inning game. But the 13-12 Astros win just might have one
and all hoping for more of the same when the Series moves back to Los Angeles. Even with Justin Verlander
scheduled to pitch Game Six.

Maybe the lone dissenter just might be Astros shortstop Carlos Correa. “I feel like I’m going to have a heart
attack out there,” Correa said when Game Five finally ended. “It’s high pressure. The game is going back
and forth. Both teams are great, scoring runs. Hopefully we can win one more game and take a break,
because this is hard on me.”

Spoilsport.

Let’s get one thing out of the way post haste. Stop the comparisons to Game Four of the 1993 World Series.
The only thing that game has in common with Sunday night’s soiree was the high score: Blue Jays 15, Phillies

That game was a slop fest, from the wet conditions to the fourteen walks to the hit batsmen to the terrible
pitching by people you can’t and mostly don’t want to remember. The Dodgers didn’t push a Todd Stottlemyre
out of the game after three and two thirds; the Astros didn’t tie things at four off a Tommy Greene.

No, the Dodgers jumped to a first-inning 3-0 lead off Dallas Keuchel and added a fourth in the top of the fourth
before Keuchel was finally shown mercy by Astros manager A.J. Hinch when it really was clear that Keuchel’s
cutter was sunk.

And the Astros hammered back against Clayton Kershaw, to that moment having the best postseason of his life,
when it really was clear that, after cruising for three innings, Kershaw’s slider could have been court-martialed
for desertion.

Correa started that one with an RBI double. Then Yuli Gurriel—in a vat of hot water a day earlier, over a stupidly
racist gesture toward Yu Darvish after going long in Game Three, but avoiding suspension until next season
because commissioner Rob Manfred didn’t think his team should be punished for his idiocy—hit a three-run
homer to tie things at four.

Death, it is said, comes in threes. In Game Five, comebacks did. Gurriel’s bomb was the first of a trio of three-
run homers in the game. Dodger rookie Cody Bellinger put the Dodgers ahead 7-4 with one, and Astros MVP
candidate Jose Altuve tied things at seven with one of his own.

The Dodgers forced extra innings in the first place with three runs to tie the game at twelve in the ninth,
Yasiel Puig sneaking a two-run homer into the Crawford Boxes and Chris Taylor singling home Austin Barnes,
and Taylor’s hit was with the Dodgers down to their final out while they were at it.

There were seven homers in the game and the Astros hit five of them. There’s an argument that none was
more important than George Springer’s leadoff bomb off Brandon Morrow, to that point the Dodgers’ second
best relief pitcher of the postseason, re-tying things at eight in the seventh. Then came another three: Altuve’s
RBI double and Correa’s two-run homer.

This time, the game didn’t end against a Mitch (Wild Thing) Williams who was a heart attack waiting to
happen (twice, as it turned out, including the 15-14 slopfest) but against the best closer in the business
these days, Kenley Jansen. The same Jansen, alas, who surrendered Marwin Gonzalez’s leadoff bomb in
the ninth of Game Two, tying that game at—you guessed it—three all.

And the Dodgers didn’t send Game Five to extras on the dime of poor Ken Giles—who wasn’t even a
subject —but on that of Chris Devenski, an Astro lefthander who’d only surrendered one run in three
previous Series gigs. Did we mention that Joe Musgrove, who surrendered Bellinger’s insult-to-injury
three-run homer in Game Four, worked a tenth marred only by a one-out single and picked up the
win while he was at it?

“These,” said Dodgers manager Dave Roberts, “are two teams that play 27 outs.” If necessary, they’ll
play thirty outs. Or forty.

How do you define a “greatest World Series game ever played?” Most of us might think of the ones
that nail the Series down, but not all Series clinchers are greats, or even mere classics, alas. A lot of
Series clinchers turn out turkeys, and some of those only look that way because a couple of games
earlier in the set were just so wild, crazy, off the proverbial chart.

Last year’s Game Seven was a no questions asked classic, and those Cubs and Indians threw the
kitchen sink and one pregnant rain delay at each other before the Cubs ended 108 years worth of
a World Series drought.

Game Six of the 1975 Series qualifies simply because it set up a seventh game at least as dramatically
as this year’s Game Five sent the set back to Los Angeles. And, about the same, sort of, Bernie Carbo’s
three-run bomb setting the table for Carlton Fisk’s body-English game-ender off the foul pole.

This year has two classics to brag about. Game Five almost made Game Two resemble a coffee klatsch.
Forget the kitchen sink. The Dodgers and the Astros threw the whole damn house at each other Sunday
night. And we haven’t even gotten to some of the records that got tied or tumbled:

* Gurriel’s bomb put Kershaw in the record books on the wrong side; no other pitcher has surrendered
eight bombs in a single postseason.

* Four different players age 23 or younger (Bellinger, Bregman, Correa, Corey Seager) have now hit home
runs in this Series, and one of them (Bellinger) is 22. That’s the first such Series performance since three
such young sprouts in 1934: Hall of Famers Joe Medwick and Hank Greenberg, plus rookie Cardinals
catcher Bill DeLancey.

* Game Five is the highest-scoring extra-innings game in postseason history.

* It was also the first-ever World Series to feature a trio of three-run homers.

* The Astros became baseball’s first to hit three game-tying home runs in a World Series game.

* I’m not sure just yet, but Morrow surrendering four runs while facing four hitters and recording no outs
may be a Series record of some kind.

Whether any Astros or Dodgers thought about the record books might not be known until after the Series
ends, whichever way it ends. But you might care to note that Altuve is one bomb shy of the record for a
single postseason. He has seven. And counting, maybe.

“Guess what? They still have to beat us one more time,” said Jansen, who again acknowledged what happens
when he doesn’t get his cutter to go up and in. “This is it. We just can’t, can’t, can’t, can’t hang our heads.”

Another Dodger reliever, Ross Stripling, who got the final two outs of the Houston eighth after Brian McCann’s
solo bomb chased fellow pen man Tony Cingrani, was a little more philosophical. “If we can hold them to less
than twelve runs,” Stripling said, “we’ll get some wins.”

They’ll have to get two. The Astros need only one. But don’t ask whether they could possibly top the mayhem
of Games Two and Five. This World Series is Forrest Gump‘s box of chocolates. You never know what you’ll
get, and you’d be a fool to guess.
------------------------------------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@Freya
@dfwgator
@DCPatriot
@Cyber Liberty
@Slip18
@flowers
@corbe
@TomSea
@Right_in_Virginia
@truth_seeker
@GrouchoTex

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: WS Game Five---Monty Python's Flying Series
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 05:31:55 pm »
GREAT stuff Ace!  As usual!   :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 05:39:46 pm »
Concur with @Bigun, great, great article!

We may have wanted the entertainment to go on and on, but those Astros (players and fans) looked shell-shocked by the 10th.  I was thinking it was most like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

I'm glad they have a travel day before LA burns out the bullpen (again).
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 05:39:47 pm »
Great essay, EA!   One heck of a game!
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online corbe

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 05:45:29 pm »
   Excellent write up @EasyAce, Thanks for posting.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 05:46:51 pm »
I would venture a guess that most everyone expected the rematch between the "Best pitcher in the world" and mere mortal Dallas Keuchel to be a low scoring pitchers duel and they couldn't have been any more wrong! 

I love baseball because it's impossible to know what's going to happen on any given day.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 05:51:30 pm »
I would venture a guess that most everyone expected the rematch between the "Best pitcher in the world" and mere mortal Dallas Keuchel to be a low scoring pitchers duel and they couldn't have been any more wrong! 

I love baseball because it's impossible to know what's going to happen on any given day.

"It ain't over until it's over."  Written on one of the baseballs Mrs. Liberty picked up in her latest sweep of an auction site.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 05:53:19 pm »
"It ain't over until it's over."  Written on one of the baseballs Mrs. Liberty picked up in her latest sweep of an auction site.

The yog was a GREAT philosopher!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 06:19:42 pm »

@Bigun
In baseball, there's just one word: you never know.---Joaquin Andujar.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:20:39 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 06:21:30 pm »
By Yours Truly
http://throneberryfields.com/2017/10/30/monty-pythons-flying-series/

Forget any previous comparisons to The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, and St. Elsewhere. This
is Monty Python’s Flying Series. On Sunday night it was as though the Dodgers and Astros agreed
before the first pitch, “And now, for something completely different . . . ” As if this World Series
wasn’t, already.

This Game Five may not be the greatest World Series game ever played, but it was for damn sure the
most entertaining. So much so that you might even find Astro fans who were sorry only that it had to
end when young third baseman Alex Bregman walked it off with an RBI single in the bottom of the
tenth.

After all, nobody ever really wants a good Marx Brothers film to end. Not even after you learn that, while
making A Day at the Races, and despite knowing by the script how the big race was going to turn out,
Chico actually bet on the wrong horse.

“Who knows where this one ranks, right up there with that game—back and forth, the two best teams
in baseball fighting to the very end and going toe to toe with each other,” said Bregman when it finally
ended. “Everybody was used on both teams, pretty much, every single player. It was special for us to
come out on top.”

The Astros and the Dodgers played for five hours and seventeen minutes. I didn’t hear anyone complaining
about the actual or allegedly swelling length of baseball games this time. “Yeah, five-hour game, but it
doesn’t matter,” said breathless Astros second baseman Jose Altuve. “I can play a ten-hour game if we
are going to win.”

On Sunday night he had to settle for a ten-inning game. But the 13-12 Astros win just might have one
and all hoping for more of the same when the Series moves back to Los Angeles. Even with Justin Verlander
scheduled to pitch Game Six.

Maybe the lone dissenter just might be Astros shortstop Carlos Correa. “I feel like I’m going to have a heart
attack out there,” Correa said when Game Five finally ended. “It’s high pressure. The game is going back
and forth. Both teams are great, scoring runs. Hopefully we can win one more game and take a break,
because this is hard on me.”

Spoilsport.

Let’s get one thing out of the way post haste. Stop the comparisons to Game Four of the 1993 World Series.
The only thing that game has in common with Sunday night’s soiree was the high score: Blue Jays 15, Phillies

That game was a slop fest, from the wet conditions to the fourteen walks to the hit batsmen to the terrible
pitching by people you can’t and mostly don’t want to remember. The Dodgers didn’t push a Todd Stottlemyre
out of the game after three and two thirds; the Astros didn’t tie things at four off a Tommy Greene.

No, the Dodgers jumped to a first-inning 3-0 lead off Dallas Keuchel and added a fourth in the top of the fourth
before Keuchel was finally shown mercy by Astros manager A.J. Hinch when it really was clear that Keuchel’s
cutter was sunk.

And the Astros hammered back against Clayton Kershaw, to that moment having the best postseason of his life,
when it really was clear that, after cruising for three innings, Kershaw’s slider could have been court-martialed
for desertion.

Correa started that one with an RBI double. Then Yuli Gurriel—in a vat of hot water a day earlier, over a stupidly
racist gesture toward Yu Darvish after going long in Game Three, but avoiding suspension until next season
because commissioner Rob Manfred didn’t think his team should be punished for his idiocy—hit a three-run
homer to tie things at four.

Death, it is said, comes in threes. In Game Five, comebacks did. Gurriel’s bomb was the first of a trio of three-
run homers in the game. Dodger rookie Cody Bellinger put the Dodgers ahead 7-4 with one, and Astros MVP
candidate Jose Altuve tied things at seven with one of his own.

The Dodgers forced extra innings in the first place with three runs to tie the game at twelve in the ninth,
Yasiel Puig sneaking a two-run homer into the Crawford Boxes and Chris Taylor singling home Austin Barnes,
and Taylor’s hit was with the Dodgers down to their final out while they were at it.

There were seven homers in the game and the Astros hit five of them. There’s an argument that none was
more important than George Springer’s leadoff bomb off Brandon Morrow, to that point the Dodgers’ second
best relief pitcher of the postseason, re-tying things at eight in the seventh. Then came another three: Altuve’s
RBI double and Correa’s two-run homer.

This time, the game didn’t end against a Mitch (Wild Thing) Williams who was a heart attack waiting to
happen (twice, as it turned out, including the 15-14 slopfest) but against the best closer in the business
these days, Kenley Jansen. The same Jansen, alas, who surrendered Marwin Gonzalez’s leadoff bomb in
the ninth of Game Two, tying that game at—you guessed it—three all.

And the Dodgers didn’t send Game Five to extras on the dime of poor Ken Giles—who wasn’t even a
subject —but on that of Chris Devenski, an Astro lefthander who’d only surrendered one run in three
previous Series gigs. Did we mention that Joe Musgrove, who surrendered Bellinger’s insult-to-injury
three-run homer in Game Four, worked a tenth marred only by a one-out single and picked up the
win while he was at it?

“These,” said Dodgers manager Dave Roberts, “are two teams that play 27 outs.” If necessary, they’ll
play thirty outs. Or forty.

How do you define a “greatest World Series game ever played?” Most of us might think of the ones
that nail the Series down, but not all Series clinchers are greats, or even mere classics, alas. A lot of
Series clinchers turn out turkeys, and some of those only look that way because a couple of games
earlier in the set were just so wild, crazy, off the proverbial chart.

Last year’s Game Seven was a no questions asked classic, and those Cubs and Indians threw the
kitchen sink and one pregnant rain delay at each other before the Cubs ended 108 years worth of
a World Series drought.

Game Six of the 1975 Series qualifies simply because it set up a seventh game at least as dramatically
as this year’s Game Five sent the set back to Los Angeles. And, about the same, sort of, Bernie Carbo’s
three-run bomb setting the table for Carlton Fisk’s body-English game-ender off the foul pole.

This year has two classics to brag about. Game Five almost made Game Two resemble a coffee klatsch.
Forget the kitchen sink. The Dodgers and the Astros threw the whole damn house at each other Sunday
night. And we haven’t even gotten to some of the records that got tied or tumbled:

* Gurriel’s bomb put Kershaw in the record books on the wrong side; no other pitcher has surrendered
eight bombs in a single postseason.

* Four different players age 23 or younger (Bellinger, Bregman, Correa, Corey Seager) have now hit home
runs in this Series, and one of them (Bellinger) is 22. That’s the first such Series performance since three
such young sprouts in 1934: Hall of Famers Joe Medwick and Hank Greenberg, plus rookie Cardinals
catcher Bill DeLancey.

* Game Five is the highest-scoring extra-innings game in postseason history.

* It was also the first-ever World Series to feature a trio of three-run homers.

* The Astros became baseball’s first to hit three game-tying home runs in a World Series game.

* I’m not sure just yet, but Morrow surrendering four runs while facing four hitters and recording no outs
may be a Series record of some kind.

Whether any Astros or Dodgers thought about the record books might not be known until after the Series
ends, whichever way it ends. But you might care to note that Altuve is one bomb shy of the record for a
single postseason. He has seven. And counting, maybe.

“Guess what? They still have to beat us one more time,” said Jansen, who again acknowledged what happens
when he doesn’t get his cutter to go up and in. “This is it. We just can’t, can’t, can’t, can’t hang our heads.”

Another Dodger reliever, Ross Stripling, who got the final two outs of the Houston eighth after Brian McCann’s
solo bomb chased fellow pen man Tony Cingrani, was a little more philosophical. “If we can hold them to less
than twelve runs,” Stripling said, “we’ll get some wins.”

They’ll have to get two. The Astros need only one. But don’t ask whether they could possibly top the mayhem
of Games Two and Five. This World Series is Forrest Gump‘s box of chocolates. You never know what you’ll
get, and you’d be a fool to guess.
------------------------------------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@Freya
@dfwgator
@DCPatriot
@Cyber Liberty
@Slip18
@flowers
@corbe
@TomSea
@Right_in_Virginia
@truth_seeker
@GrouchoTex

Thank you!!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 06:32:55 pm »
GREAT write-up, @EasyAce !

What a game, what a GAME!!

(This is actually more fun for me when the Indians aren't playing.  :dx1:)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 06:40:38 pm »
I know a lot of folks around here hate the guy, but George W. still throws like a man, and not like a girl who's a sissy....

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 06:44:00 pm »
GREAT write-up, @EasyAce !

What a game, what a GAME!!

(This is actually more fun for me when the Indians aren't playing.  :dx1:)

It's good to have a team that's not "yours" you can still root for, so the emotional investment isn't so heavy.  This series is fun to watch, we're so glad it's the 'Stros against the Dodgers.  If the Yankees had won the Pennant, we'd watching old movies by now and prepping for the "Hot Stove" season (nobody reliably broadcasts any Fall games that I know of), we can't stand either the Yanks or the Dodgers, so there would be nobody to root for.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 06:59:54 pm »
It's good to have a team that's not "yours" you can still root for, so the emotional investment isn't so heavy.  This series is fun to watch, we're so glad it's the 'Stros against the Dodgers.  If the Yankees had won the Pennant, we'd watching old movies by now and prepping for the "Hot Stove" season (nobody reliably broadcasts any Fall games that I know of), we can't stand either the Yanks or the Dodgers, so there would be nobody to root for.   :shrug:

Exactly.   We want the Astros to win, but aren't bleeding from our eyes when they're behind in the 9th inning.  ^-^

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 07:07:10 pm »
As much as you have underestimated and underplayed the talent of my team.  Clinching the WS will  be even sweeter.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 07:17:47 pm »
Great article, @EasyAce !
I do NOT understand people who say baseball is boring.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 07:29:53 pm »
Great article. Great game, too.

How many folks in the Eastern Time zone, stayed up until past 1:30 am to watch the end?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 07:31:38 pm »
It was the wildest baseball game I have ever witnessed.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 07:33:33 pm »

As a lifetime Astros fan it resulted in multi-hyperventilation episodes.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 07:35:20 pm »
As much as you have underestimated and underplayed the talent of my team.  Clinching the WS will  be even sweeter.
You have to admit there were times before the World Series when the way they played and pitched merited such
underestimation on several occasions. I was rather amazed that Keuchel didn't get out of the fourth inning, just as I
was that Kershaw didn't get out of the fifth. And until Game Two of the Series, a lot of the key Astro bats weren't
producing consistently. The talent I didn't doubt. The execution wasn't been there.

A big question going to Game Six---in the (admittedly unlikely) event Justin Verlander falters, do the Astros roll the
dice and go to Lance McCullers, Jr. out of the pen? Or Charlie Morton on short rest? They probably won't even think
about Brad Peacock since he's had a heavy workload between Games Three and Five, and right now their
most reliable relief pitchers seem to be Will Harris and Luke Gregerson. Collin McHugh could be an option, too,
he threw only one truly terrible pitch in Game Five and he worked only two innings---his only two of the Series.
The good news: if the Dodgers win Game Six, the Astros would start Charlie Morton in Game Seven. But as good
as Morton has been, you like the Astros' chances better if you have McCullers to start Seven---even if it means
you can't use Morton if you had to use him in Six.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 07:45:05 pm »
Great article. Great game, too.

How many folks in the Eastern Time zone, stayed up until past 1:30 am to watch the end?

Probably quite a few.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 08:18:27 pm »

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 06:13:06 pm »
...and a nice Marx Bros. reference to boot!

Yeah, I had a vacation Day scheduled Monday.
Sure glad I did.

Whew!!!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 06:14:13 pm »
As a lifetime Astros fan it resulted in multi-hyperventilation episodes.

:amen:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 08:17:46 pm »
Me too.   Went to sleep after the 10th inning in game 2 and woke up when my wife shrieked "Home Run" so I decided to see this one through.  It was worth it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington