Author Topic: Could Spain Go the Way of Yugoslavia?  (Read 530 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Could Spain Go the Way of Yugoslavia?
« on: October 30, 2017, 06:50:40 am »
Svante E. Cornell

In recent years, the European Union has been bogged down by one crisis after another—from Greece to the Euro to Brexit. But happily, none of these have endangered what has underpinned European integration since the late 1940s: securing lasting peace among European states. Europe has not been spared political violence, as residents of Northern Ireland and the Basque country can attest to. But to almost all Europeans, the notion of armed conflict within their midst is no longer even thinkable. While the Catalonia crisis is not destined to degenerate into large-scale violence, European and American leaders do not appear to take the potential for conflict seriously. They are mistaken.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/could-spain-go-the-way-yugoslavia-22610
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Could Spain Go the Way of Yugoslavia?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 01:40:47 pm »
Over a long span, Basque insurgents have killed a number of persons but they stopped long ago. Perhaps, the sparring with the IRA in the UK is a better comparison.

As much as people put the EU down, isn't it interesting, it has kept things peaceful.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 02:27:28 pm »
Yugoslavia pitted 3 religions against each other, that's certainly missing here.

The Spanish Civil War seemed to pit the left against the right, largely to a degree.

I don't see massive bloodshed here. Let's hope there is no one killed.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 02:59:50 pm »
Yugoslavia pitted 3 religions against each other, that's certainly missing here.

The Spanish Civil War seemed to pit the left against the right, largely to a degree.

I don't see massive bloodshed here. Let's hope there is no one killed.

There are different cultures involved.  But definitely less likely to have massive bloodshed.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn