Author Topic: Puerto Rico Says It's Scrapping $300M Whitefish Contract  (Read 725 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Puerto Rico Says It's Scrapping $300M Whitefish Contract
« on: October 29, 2017, 08:47:06 pm »
Puerto Rico Says It's Scrapping $300M Whitefish Contract
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS (DANICA COTO)

San Juan, Puerto Rico (AP) -- The head of Puerto Rico's power company said Sunday the agency will cancel its $300 million contract with Whitefish Energy Holdings amid increased scrutiny of the tiny Montana company's role in restoring the island's power system following Hurricane Maria.

The announcement by Ricardo Ramos came hours after Gov. Ricardo Rossello urged the company to scrap the deal.

It's an enormous distraction," Ramos said of the controversy over the contract. "This was negatively impacting the work we're already doing."

Read more at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-29/urgent-puerto-rico-gov-seeks-to-cancel-300m-whitefish-contract

Nothing about this contract sounded defensible to me.

For the record, one of the investors in this company donated money to a few of the Presidential Republican candidates, not just one in particular. I was reading about it 2 days ago.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:48:01 pm by TomSea »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Puerto Rico Says It's Scrapping $300M Whitefish Contract
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 09:26:39 pm »
Nothing about this contract sounded defensible to me.

For the record, one of the investors in this company donated money to a few of the Presidential Republican candidates, not just one in particular. I was reading about it 2 days ago.

But, for the record, "Were they getting the job done?"  If they were, then the PR Government just unnecessarily doomed the people to months more of "lights out" for no reason better than the politics of it.   Congratulations to all around.  Present company included.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 10:48:07 pm »
But, for the record, "Were they getting the job done?"  If they were, then the PR Government just unnecessarily doomed the people to months more of "lights out" for no reason better than the politics of it.   Congratulations to all around.  Present company included.

For what they were paying, you and I could form a company tomorrow and get the job done.  When you pay enough that you can hire anybody and still make 100% or more profit, it isn't hard.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/small-montana-firm-lands-puerto-ricos-biggest-contract-to-get-the-power-back-on/2017/10/23/31cccc3e-b4d6-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html?utm_term=.3659eb85f3ef

...Under the contract, the hourly rate was set at $330 for a site supervisor, and at $227.88 for a “journeyman lineman.” The cost for subcontractors, which make up the bulk of Whitefish’s workforce, is $462 per hour for a supervisor and $319.04 for a lineman. Whitefish also charges nightly accommodation fees of $332 per worker and almost $80 per day for food....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 10:51:14 pm »
For what they were paying, you and I could form a company tomorrow and get the job done.  When you pay enough that you can hire anybody and still make 100% or more profit, it isn't hard.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/small-montana-firm-lands-puerto-ricos-biggest-contract-to-get-the-power-back-on/2017/10/23/31cccc3e-b4d6-11e7-9e58-e6288544af98_story.html?utm_term=.3659eb85f3ef

...Under the contract, the hourly rate was set at $330 for a site supervisor, and at $227.88 for a “journeyman lineman.” The cost for subcontractors, which make up the bulk of Whitefish’s workforce, is $462 per hour for a supervisor and $319.04 for a lineman. Whitefish also charges nightly accommodation fees of $332 per worker and almost $80 per day for food....

Sounds like gouging to me, but not up to Clinton Foundation level gouging like Haiti.   Sounds prudent for PR, but how badly are they screwing the locals?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Concerned

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 11:16:02 pm »
This contract didn't smell right from the git-go.  It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, is discovered by the multiple investigations being conducted into the letting of this no-bid contract.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.