Author Topic: Little evidence that marijuana helps chronic pain, PTSD, studies find  (Read 822 times)

rangerrebew

Little evidence that marijuana helps chronic pain, PTSD, studies find

By Susan Scutti, CNN

Updated 5:02 PM ET, Mon August 14, 2017

(CNN)Medical marijuana is now legal in 28 states and the District of Columbia. Increasingly, people are turning to cannabis to treat a range of symptoms and conditions, including nausea, bipolar disorder and seizures.

But when it comes to using marijuana to treat chronic pain or post-traumatic stress disorder, two related reviews published Monday in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine find little scientific evidence to support either its effectiveness or its safety.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/14/health/medical-marijuana-pain-ptsd-study/index.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:05:27 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Little evidence that marijuana helps chronic pain, PTSD, studies find
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 10:43:20 pm »
Well, well, well.

Sounds like somebody's been doin' sum lyin' to us other folks in order to further their cause...

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 12:01:49 am »
Well, well, well.

Sounds like somebody's been doin' sum lyin' to us other folks in order to further their cause...
Exactly. When I see actual scientific evidence - through legitimate testing techniques - of the benefits of medical MJ, I may be for it. But so far, all I hear is anecdotes and wishful thinking.

I've wondered if marijuana does have legitimate medical value, can it be refined or processed (don't know the proper term) into some form that doesn't "dope up" the user. I have chronic pain, but I wouldn't want relief from it at the expense of being stoned all the time.  Dunno. I've never smoked it, but am trying to keep an open mind.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 03:46:04 am »
...they discovered insufficient evidence to draw conclusions ...

Considering how it has dropped opioid use where marijuana use increases, I think that it makes sense to do sufficient study to see why.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online DB

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 03:58:50 am »
I find it amusing that tobacco, second hand tobacco smoke and the companies that produce tobacco products are Satan incarnate for liberals but marijuana use/second hand smoke are a-okay... No need for any long term health studies for that.

No hypocrisy at all there...

Silver Pines

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 01:58:02 pm »
As someone who never smoked a single joint, I don't have a problem with people using it to relieve pain. 

I have a friend in Washington who is obese and typically far too young for a knee replacement, but her weight ruined her joint and she had to undergo the surgery.  The doctor was really careful with the opioids, so she bought some marijuana, which is legal up there.  She didn't sit around smoking and getting high; she bought a type to add to food and a topical oil.  She said it helped.

Michelle Malkin wrote an article about her daughter's struggle with a neurological problem.  She said that medical marijuana gave her relief when nothing else worked.  I can't sit over here and judge her for that.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 03:39:27 am »
Exactly. When I see actual scientific evidence - through legitimate testing techniques - of the benefits of medical MJ, I may be for it. But so far, all I hear is anecdotes and wishful thinking.

I've wondered if marijuana does have legitimate medical value, can it be refined or processed (don't know the proper term) into some form that doesn't "dope up" the user. I have chronic pain, but I wouldn't want relief from it at the expense of being stoned all the time.  Dunno. I've never smoked it, but am trying to keep an open mind.  :shrug:
A friend used it over thirty years ago as an appetite stimulant/antinauseant while taking chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It worked, better than the prescribed pills of refined THC did. It was also considerably cheaper.

As pain medication? I'm not so sure, maybe someone who has used it can weigh in.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 03:39:57 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 03:42:27 am »
I find it amusing that tobacco, second hand tobacco smoke and the companies that produce tobacco products are Satan incarnate for liberals but marijuana use/second hand smoke are a-okay... No need for any long term health studies for that.

No hypocrisy at all there...
Interestingly enough, I recall reading information that tobacco users were self-medicating for depression, among other things. When people quit smoking in droves, it seems that diagnoses of forma of clinical depression increased, and the side effects of the approved medications for that were unpredictable and occasionally tragic.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 03:43:19 am »
Well, well, well.

Well, that's norml...

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 03:45:10 am »
Little evidence that marijuana helps chronic pain, PTSD, studies find

Maybe not, but it sure makes a party fun.