Author Topic: The B61 (Mk-61) Bomb  (Read 386 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

The B61 (Mk-61) Bomb
« on: October 29, 2017, 12:29:54 am »

Two stage radiation implosion weapon.

Light weight, intermediate yield bomb with variable yield options ("dial-a-yield" or DAY), and flexible fuzing and delivery options. Designed for high-speed external carriage and low altitude delivery. Modular weapon system design.

Contains two neutron generators (supplied by General Electric).

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Weapons/B61.html

"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: The B61 (Mk-61) Bomb
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 12:32:09 am »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwC1iA9fzdw

B61-12 Guided Standoff Nuclear Bomb • Test Drop

A U.S. Air Force F-15E Strike Eagle is loaded with an unarmed B61-12 Guided Standoff Nuclear Bomb and then drops it over the Tonopah Test Range in Nevada to test the glide flight characteristics of the weapon. The newest addition to the U.S. nuclear arsenal, B61-12 is equipped with a precision guidance tail-kit which is supposed to increase accuracy and allow for a modest standoff capability during deployment.
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome