Author Topic: ‘We have been waiting for this day’: Mystery object may be first interstellar visitor  (Read 1838 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Astronomers around the world are trying to track down a small, fast-moving object that is zipping through our solar system.

Is a comet? An asteroid? NASA’s not sure. The space agency doesn’t even know where it came from, but it’s not behaving like the local space rocks and that means it may not be from our solar system.

If that’s confirmed, NASA says “it would be the first interstellar object to be observed and confirmed by astronomers.”

Read more at: http://wqad.com/2017/10/27/we-have-been-waiting-for-this-day-mystery-object-may-be-first-interstellar-visitor/
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

They think this is an object from outside our solar system .... just passing through.

No word on what the object is. 

Offline Victoria33

@Quix

In case you don't know about this.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
They think this is an object from outside our solar system .... just passing through.

No word on what the object is.

The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I am not an Astrophysicist, but what kind of stellar bodies make 90 degree turns?

Was there some kind of gravitational influence?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I am not an Astrophysicist, but what kind of stellar bodies make 90 degree turns?  ...

And at this speed?

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Ping @Suppressed

I hope it's good aliens like ET. Probably bad aliens 👽

Maybe a rogue planet or moon
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
I am not an Astrophysicist, but what kind of stellar bodies make 90 degree turns?

If I'm looking at the graphic properly, it looks like the mystery body passed within the orbit of Mercury, so the apparent 90 degree turn was probably due to the influence of the Sun's gravity.

Just to make clear, I'm not an astrophysicist either, though.  :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Suppressed

If I'm looking at the graphic properly, it looks like the mystery body passed within the orbit of Mercury, so the apparent 90 degree turn was probably due to the influence of the Sun's gravity.

Just to make clear, I'm not an astrophysicist either, though.  :shrug:

The article states that it was quite close to earth.  But still, consider that the earth makes a 360-degree turn each year from that gravitational pull.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
The article states that it was quite close to earth.  But still, consider that the earth makes a 360-degree turn each year from that gravitational pull.

The article states that it passed Earth at about 15 million miles distance, which is only close in astronomical terms. Still, looking at the graphic, it could do both: after passing within Mercury's orbit nearly perpendicular to the ecliptic (that is, the plane formed by Earth's orbit around the Sun) the object curved around the Sun and went off at an angle that was much closer to the ecliptic, appearing to pass "under" the Earth as it did.  Not sure, but it looks like it then rose above the ecliptic as it went further out, so it was still at an angle to the ecliptic, just a much lower angle than it was when it came in.

All of that is assuming that the graphic is at all accurate. And that I'm looking at it correctly.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:17:01 pm by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline Joe Wooten

It came into the solar system on a parabolic trajectory, picking up speed as it came down into the sun's gravitational well. It will slow down some as it exits the system, but it will keep some of the velocity it picked up.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti

Don't comets travel at comparable speeds and slingshot around the sun in even tighter orbits?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If it didn't slow down, where's the beef?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

The article states that it passed Earth at about 15 million miles distance, which is only close in astronomical terms. Still, looking at the graphic, it could do both: after passing within Mercury's orbit nearly perpendicular to the ecliptic (that is, the plane formed by Earth's orbit around the Sun) the object curved around the Sun and went off at an angle that was much closer to the ecliptic, appearing to pass "under" the Earth as it did.  Not sure, but it looks like it then rose above the ecliptic as it went further out, so it was still at an angle to the ecliptic, just a much lower angle than it was when it came in.

All of that is assuming that the graphic is at all accurate. And that I'm looking at it correctly.  :shrug:
@Ghost Bear
Now that I can see it on a big screen, not just my phone, I see that's what it looks like.  That makes more sense for the large deflection.  Thanks!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn