Author Topic: Five claims about coconut oil debunked  (Read 488 times)

rangerrebew

Five claims about coconut oil debunked
« on: October 28, 2017, 11:43:27 am »

Five claims about coconut oil debunked

October 27, 2017 by Rosemary Stanton, The Conversation

Coconuts have been a valued food in tropical areas for thousands of years, traditionally enjoyed as coconut water from the centre of the coconut, coconut flesh, or coconut "milk" (made by steeping the flesh in hot water).

Solid white coconut oil (I'll use this popular term, although technically it's a fat not an oil) is now the darling of celebrities and bloggers, paleo enthusiasts and sellers of so-called superfoods. Claims for its supposed medical value reverberate around the internet, but how well do they stand up to scientific scrutiny?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-10-coconut-oil-debunked.html

Silver Pines

Re: Five claims about coconut oil debunked
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 03:54:55 pm »
Useful information, IMO.  I initially bought the claims about coconut oil, but research showed me I was better off keeping it for my hair...at least I thought so.

After a while it made my hair crunchy and dry.  I found out that it can have a protein-like effect on those with protein-sensitive hair.  Olive oil works much better, and it penetrates the hair shaft as well.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 04:08:43 pm »
Okay, let's see what those who claim benefits for; I'm not about to give it up and it is ideal if one ever tries "oil pulling" as mentioned in the article.  Tastes good on toast too imo.

20 Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
http://dailyhealthlifestyles.com/20-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/?utm_source=coconut%20oil%20benefit&utm_medium=coconutoil&utm_campaign=bing

Slide show presentation but there are a lot of articles purporting to show it's benefits.

It seems for it to make one's hair brittle, one would really need to be using it a lot. I've used it for cooking too, pretty good for that.

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 04:12:49 pm »
https://blogs.webmd.com/heart-disease/2016/04/coconut-oil-is-it-good-for-you.html

Coconut Oil: Is It Good for You?

There seems to be a lot of chatter these days about coconut oil. Many of my patients ask me if it’s okay to use – in fact, it’s one of the most frequent diet-related questions I get asked. The answer? It’s a bit complicated. Practically speaking, coconut oil does hold up better for high-temperature cooking than olive oil – but how does it compare in terms of health benefits?

.....So, bottom line: Of all the saturated fat options, coconut oil is the best one. But you’re still better off eating a handful of nuts or using flax seed, linseed or olive oil on your salad – especially if you’re trying to keep your LDL down.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I've done a lot of research on this as one's health is of course vital. Olive oil is definitely superior to coconut oil in a number of different ways.

I prefer Bragg brand, first cold pressed, extra virgin, organic olive oil...and the key is organic.

The Newman's brand and some other organic brands with the same specs as Bragg are acceptable, I've tried them all. But I think the Bragg brand is the best for taste and quality. It isn't cheap, but to me it's worth the money.