Author Topic: World Series Game Three---Live Thread  (Read 1409 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: World Series Game Three---Live Thread
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2017, 03:56:00 am »
Ross Stripling shakes off a two-out base hit to retire the side, 5-3 Astros after eight . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2017, 04:08:44 am »
Yasmani Grandal gave it a fight but he flies out to right, and the Astros win Game Three on a
virtuoso relief turn from Brad Peacock. It's the first time the Astros have won a World Series
game at home. 5-3, Astros your final from Minute Maid and a 2-1 World Series lead . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2017, 04:17:04 am »
And AJ is now managing the pitching staff with his gut instead of the stat sheet!

And I LOVE it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2017, 04:21:37 am »
No matter how many guys he had throwing in the pen the rest of the way, from the moment
Peacock came into the game Hinch might as well have had the Minute Maid Park PA system
purr, "The following program is brought to you in living colour on B-R-A-D" . . .

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2017, 04:28:27 am »
And AJ is now managing the pitching staff with his gut instead of the stat sheet!
The stat sheet has its uses, and it's a fool who doesn't use those uses.

But notice two things:

a) Hinch was willing to trust his vision and Dave Roberts---who should have seen Darvish
had nothing after not having pitched since Game Three of the NLCS---wasn't. Why else
would Roberts let Darvish get pounded for four runs in the second on a night when he
clearly didn't have even his C+ game?

b) The two most important games of the Astros' season---Game Seven of the ALCS, and
now Game Three---were saved by starting pitchers. No matter how many men he
warmed up along the way, Hinch still doesn't really trust his actual bullpen. Not even Ken
Giles.

And, it begs a question:

c) For Game Four, where does Hinch turn if the Dodgers get frisky against Charlie Morton?
He won't go to Peacock after tonight's three and two thirds. And he doesn't trust most of
the rest of his pen. Game Four should prove to be a very interesting chess match . . .

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2017, 05:07:38 am »
Thanks @EasyAce , I appreciate your play by play...well done!  Let's go 'Stros!
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline EasyAce

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2017, 01:17:58 pm »
The stat sheet has its uses, and it's a fool who doesn't use those uses.

But notice two things:

a) Hinch was willing to trust his vision and Dave Roberts---who should have seen Darvish
had nothing after not having pitched since Game Three of the NLCS---wasn't. Why else
would Roberts let Darvish get pounded for four runs in the second on a night when he
clearly didn't have even his C+ game?

b) The two most important games of the Astros' season---Game Seven of the ALCS, and
now Game Three---were saved by starting pitchers. No matter how many men he
warmed up along the way, Hinch still doesn't really trust his actual bullpen. Not even Ken
Giles.

And, it begs a question:

c) For Game Four, where does Hinch turn if the Dodgers get frisky against Charlie Morton?
He won't go to Peacock after tonight's three and two thirds. And he doesn't trust most of
the rest of his pen. Game Four should prove to be a very interesting chess match . . .

I think he still has a few ex starters in the BP that are just itching for a go in the series!

Liriano, Clippard, and Joe Muscrove come to mind.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 01:22:12 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 05:38:27 pm »
I think he still has a few ex starters in the BP that are just itching for a go in the series!

Liriano, Clippard, and Joe Muscrove come to mind.
Tyler Clippard isn't even on the Astros' postseason roster. That's what a 6.00+ ERA
as an Astro got him.

The Dodgers should probably pray to see Liriano and Musgrove, neither of whom
has been pitching particularly well in this postseason. I noticed both Liriano and
Musgrove were warmed up for a spell or two Friday night, and if Hinch brought either
one of them in they would have measured him for a necktie party with Peacock pitching
as well as he pitched. If the Dodgers really want a feast, they should be praying to
see Musgrove, who had a 4.77 ERA on the season and is home run prone--he gave
up 18 on the season. Liriano had a 5.66 ERA on the season.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2017, 05:55:37 pm »
Tyler Clippard isn't even on the Astros' postseason roster. That's what a 6.00+ ERA
as an Astro got him.

The Dodgers should probably pray to see Liriano and Musgrove, neither of whom
has been pitching particularly well in this postseason. I noticed both Liriano and
Musgrove were warmed up for a spell or two Friday night, and if Hinch brought either
one of them in they would have measured him for a necktie party with Peacock pitching
as well as he pitched. If the Dodgers really want a feast, they should be praying to
see Musgrove, who had a 4.77 ERA on the season and is home run prone--he gave
up 18 on the season. Liriano had a 5.66 ERA on the season.

Strange....he was definitely a fan favorite in D.C. during his stint with the NATS.

IMO, too many don't realize that what's going on between the ears...life... can adversely affect your timing/concentration.

He rode lightening in Washington for a stint.   Sad to read that he couldn't even make a postseason roster.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald