Author Topic: OMB: Top 20% pay 95% of taxes, middle class 'single digits'  (Read 1011 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
OMB: Top 20% pay 95% of taxes, middle class 'single digits'
« on: October 27, 2017, 03:45:15 pm »
Any tax cut for middle income earners will also provide a benefit for those further up the income scale, including the top 20 percent who pay 95 percent of all income taxes, according to the director of the Office of Management and Budget.......

.....That may be the highest ever. Just two years ago, it was 84 percent, according to the Wall Street Journal......

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/omb-top-20-pay-95-of-taxes-middle-class-single-digits/article/2638746

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: OMB: Top 20% pay 95% of taxes, middle class 'single digits'
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 03:47:50 pm »
I love how they continue to frame this against the so-called 'rich'. The top 20% land in around $75K per year.

https://dqydj.com/united-states-income-brackets-percentiles/

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:53:57 pm »
To be fair,  the numbers should include both the progressive income tax and the regressive payroll (FICA) tax.   Most of us pay taxes to the Federal government.   

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 05:16:01 pm »
I love how they continue to frame this against the so-called 'rich'. The top 20% land in around $75K per year.

https://dqydj.com/united-states-income-brackets-percentiles/

Those filthy fat cats are not paying "their fair share" and should be hosed so that the others who don't pay taxes can pay less taxes.....or so @KingsX has told me.

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 05:22:33 pm »

War and taxes.

Lincoln imposed the first income tax to pay for the Civil War.

Ironically,  President Taft's Sixteenth Amendment was followed by WW1.  But not so ironic when you know President Taft was a war-monger who supported revolutionaries  against  Russia's Christian monarchy.   In his famous April 1917 WW1 speech to congress  President Wilson praised those revolutionaries who had just  destroyed Russia's 900 year old monarchy and called them America's "partner."

Not sure how this current GOP tax plan might figure into another war... but there has been a lot of war-mongering during Trump's presidency.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 05:45:33 pm »

War and taxes.

Lincoln imposed the first income tax to pay for the Civil War.

Ironically,  President Taft's Sixteenth Amendment was followed by WW1.  But not so ironic when you know President Taft was a war-monger who supported revolutionaries  against  Russia's Christian monarchy.   In his famous April 1917 WW1 speech to congress  President Wilson praised those revolutionaries who had just  destroyed Russia's 900 year old monarchy and called them America's "partner."

Not sure how this current GOP tax plan might figure into another war... but there has been a lot of war-mongering during Trump's presidency.

What alternative universe history books are you reading?   The 16th and 17th amendments were added under Woodrow Wilson! The second worst president in our history only because of Abraham Lincoln!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien