Author Topic: If These Trees Could Talk Studying the Comanche marker trees of Texas  (Read 1528 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I found this very interesting as I never knew Indians used to bend trees to convey messages.

No historical marker indicates that this particular pecan tree near the grounds of the Texas National Guard Armory in northwest Dallas is special—just the fact that its trunk grows along the ground for about 25 feet before turning upward. Sometimes natural forces, such as ice storms, can bend trees into strange shapes like this. But for this pecan, its shape is no accident.

Steve Houser, a local arborist and founding member of the Texas Historic Tree Coalition, traces his fingers over scars on the tree’s trunk, signs indicating humans may have lashed down the trunk with yucca rope some 150 years ago, when it was a flexible sapling. The bent tree, known as the California Crossing marker tree, points to a low-water crossing on the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, offering valuable information to those who would have recognized it as a marker tree.

“The typical settler would go right by,” says Houser, chairman of the coalition’s Indian Marker Tree Committee. “A Comanche would see it and follow it. Trees told them where to go to.”
https://www.texashighways.com/history/item/8707-if-these-trees-could-talk-comanche-indian-marker-trees-texas
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline berdie

Re: If These Trees Could Talk Studying the Comanche marker trees of Texas
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 01:25:28 am »
I had a pecan tree at the back of my property that grew along the ground. Given the area I live in...I was always told that the Indians altered its normal growth.

I had a friend's daughter, when she was young, call it the party tree. I was very sad to see the tree die.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 02:49:55 am »
I had a pecan tree at the back of my property that grew along the ground. Given the area I live in...I was always told that the Indians altered its normal growth.

I had a friend's daughter, when she was young, call it the party tree. I was very sad to see the tree die.
It is fascinating, whether it is true or not.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 03:38:50 pm »
Great story.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 03:50:15 pm »
It wasn't just the Comanche that did this. The Caddo made marker trees too. We have a very obvious one right near our property in a known Caddo area, pointing right to a nearby stream.

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 05:15:58 pm »
    Very interesting Post @IsailedawayfromFR  Thanks for sharing.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 10:21:27 pm »
    Very interesting Post @IsailedawayfromFR  Thanks for sharing.
  thx I have taken the Texas Highways since the mid 70s, even when I lived outside Texas for 24 years and was overseas.

Great magazine.  Pictures alone are worth it.

@corbe @Sanguine

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 12:08:15 am »
  thx I have taken the Texas Highways since the mid 70s, even when I lived outside Texas for 24 years and was overseas.

Great magazine.  Pictures alone are worth it.

@corbe @Sanguine

Yes, they are!  I wanted to work for them when I was much younger.  Never did.

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 02:03:56 am »
Yes, they are!  I wanted to work for them when I was much younger.  Never did.
Naw, you were waiting to you got older so you can do the political thing instead.  Let me know address when you run so I can send the check to the right place.

Offline Forum member

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 02:18:45 am »
My dad showed me some marker trees in Arkansas in the 60's.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 02:51:53 am »
Naw, you were waiting to you got older so you can do the political thing instead.  Let me know address when you run so I can send the check to the right place.

Much appreciated!