Author Topic: Liberal Professor says Dumbing Down of America Began in Public Education  (Read 746 times)

rangerrebew

Liberal Professor says Dumbing Down of America Began in Public Education
By Onan Coca October 23, 2017

Liberal, feminist (in the classic sense), college professor Camille Paglia is at it again, triggering America’s leftwing crybabies with her blunt honesty and her perceptive commentary about the ills in modern America.

In a recent conversation with conservative philosopher (and educator) Christina Hoff Sommers, Paglia reveals that many of our current problems on the college campus really began in public elementary and secondary schools.

https://constitution.com/liberal-professor-says-dumbing-america-began-public-education/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Liberal Professor says Dumbing Down of America Began in Public Education
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 02:03:26 pm »
Liberal Professor says Dumbing Down of America Began in Public Education
By Onan Coca October 23, 2017

Liberal, feminist (in the classic sense), college professor Camille Paglia is at it again, triggering America’s leftwing crybabies with her blunt honesty and her perceptive commentary about the ills in modern America.

In a recent conversation with conservative philosopher (and educator) Christina Hoff Sommers, Paglia reveals that many of our current problems on the college campus really began in public elementary and secondary schools.

https://constitution.com/liberal-professor-says-dumbing-america-began-public-education/

Absolutely right and it was purposefully done under the leadership of this man!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dewey
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 02:04:18 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:14:41 pm »
You are right to pin the blame on Dewey, but that means the rot did not really begin in elementary and secondary schools, but in colleges of education where Dewey's baleful ideas (and in later generations Vygotstky's "social construction of knowledge") were taught, and in the state legislatures that gave colleges of education a monopoly on producing "qualified" or "certified" teachers (or whatever other term the particular state chose).

When my father went to high school in the 1940's his teachers didn't have degrees in secondary education, they had masters degrees (or in a few cases PhDs) in the subject they taught. 

Now it's ed majors from K through 12, all formed with Dewey's "progressive" ideals and worse, and about 85% of whom picked their major because it was the easiest one offered at their university.  (I choose that figure from the experience having taught "Math for Elementary School Teachers" a few times -- a class in which, despite being taught in the Department of Mathematics and explicit warnings in the syllabus and in class that it is a course on mathematics, not mathematical pedagogy, a sizable percentage of the students are so stupid they complain that mathematicians are teaching them mathematics, not "how to teach math".)  Secondary ed majors are a little better, but not much.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:17:09 pm by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:20:45 pm »
You are right to pin the blame on Dewey, but that means the rot did not really begin in elementary and secondary schools, but in colleges of education where Dewey's baleful ideas (and in later generations Vygotstky's "social construction of knowledge") were taught, and in the state legislatures that gave colleges of education a monopoly on producing "qualified" or "certified" teachers (or whatever other term the particular state chose).

When my father went to high school in the 1940's his teachers didn't have degrees in secondary education, they had masters degrees (or in a few cases PhDs) in the subject they taught. 

Now it's ed majors from K through 12, all formed with Dewey's "progressive" ideals and worse, and about 85% of whom picked their major because it was the easiest one offered at their university.  (I choose that figure from the experience having taught "Math for Elementary School Teachers" a few times -- a class in which, despite being taught in the Department of Mathematics and explicit warnings in the syllabus and in class that it is a course on mathematics, not mathematical pedagogy, a sizable percentage of the students are so stupid they complain that mathematicians are teaching them mathematics, not "how to teach math".)  Secondary ed majors are a little better, but not much.

I graduated HS in 1966 and don't recall a single teacher of mine who had a degree in "education"!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 07:59:25 pm »
Bookmark.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 12:37:40 pm »
explicit warnings in the syllabus and in class that it is a course on mathematics, not mathematical pedagogy, a sizable percentage of the students are so stupid they complain that mathematicians are teaching them mathematics, not "how to teach math".)

Is there a class on mathematical pedagogy?  If not, then there's some validity to their comments.  It would be an invalid conclusion, logically, to assume that it was because they wanted the easiest.

Just like I wanted applied math for support of engineering applications, I wasn't doing it because I thought it was easier, but that I had no plans for focusing on esoterica and theoretical math in my career.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 12:49:57 pm »
Is there a class on mathematical pedagogy?  If not, then there's some validity to their comments.  It would be an invalid conclusion, logically, to assume that it was because they wanted the easiest.

My conclusion is based on the whole experience of teaching the population of "pre-service teachers" as the college of ed likes to call them -- there are the 85% who picked the major because it was dead easy, and the 15% you'd actually want to have teach your children.  And in answer to your question, yes, our college of ed requires elementary ed majors take a course that they offer on teaching  K-6 mathematics (or misteaching, since it's probably Deweyite in foundation).
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 01:00:58 pm »
Colleges of Education represent the slums of any university!

Dr. Walter E. Williams

- J. R. R. Tolkien