Author Topic: A Festival of Cruelty  (Read 4573 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: A Festival of Cruelty
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2017, 03:34:28 pm »
That's because the ones that can't fly up into trees to roost were coyote bait a long time ago.

Well I am fairly certain there are coyotes about everywhere... but I get the point. Perhaps another predator here drives em up into the trees, tho coyotes would be my first guess too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2017, 06:55:06 pm »
I dunno what to tell you - Maybe it is predator pressure like @Smokin Joe  said, maybe it is a difference in selection in breeds here vs there... but turkeys are not uncommon here, domestic or wild, and providing that they are range birds, there isn't much different. It is not uncommon to see a domestic turkey a story or two up in the pines, roosted just like a wild one.  :shrug:
The Shenandoah Valley was known for poultry production when I lived there, but those domestic (poultry farm) turkeys were so dumb they'd drown in a heavy cloudburst, looking up to see what hit them. Those are the sort most folks are used to, and they do just fine on the table. Make 'em fend for themselves, and a few will get smart or die, and the survivors produce smarter birds...and so on.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2017, 07:30:40 pm »
Yes, but when it happened it was done right, complete with a YouTube.

Kudos, @Suppressed!

Indeed, saved me the trouble of tracking down the video and posting a link... 
Let it burn.