Author Topic: Professor Claims Math, Algebra And Geometry Promote ‘White Privilege’  (Read 1509 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Professor Claims Math, Algebra And Geometry Promote ‘White Privilege’

Ian Miles Cheong
Contributor
10:19 PM 10/23/2017

A University of Illinois math professor believes that algebra and geometry perpetuate “white privilege” because Greek terms give Caucasians unearned credit for the subject.

But that isn’t the professor’s only complaint. She also believes that evaluations for math proficiency perpetuates discrimination against minority students, if they do worse than their white counterparts.

Rochelle Gutierrez argues in a newly published math education book for teachers that they must be aware of the identity politics surrounding the subject of mathematics.

more
http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/23/professor-claims-math-algebra-and-geometry-promote-white-privilege/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

Well, what happened to MY "white privilege" in math??

It was all Greek to me too!  :dx1:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Being that the liberals credit Arabs with discovering  most math concepts, wouldn't it be Islamaphobic to call math 'white?'
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

Being that the liberals credit Arabs with discovering  most math concepts, wouldn't it be Islamaphobic to call math 'white?'

Oooooo................... GOOD point!  :beer:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline RoosGirl

Wow, I feel sorry for her students.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Wow, I feel sorry for her students.

The male ones, anyway.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline the_doc

Well, what happened to MY "white privilege" in math??

It was all Greek to me too!  :dx1:

The libs should be screaming bloody murder at this math teacher, because she is ultimately insinuating that whites are privileged to be smarter than blacks.  That kind of allegation has always been considered sociological heresy.

(Just sayin')

Offline musiclady

The male ones, anyway.

Oh, I feel sorry for the females too.

Offline musiclady

The libs should be screaming bloody murder at this math teacher, because she is ultimately insinuating that whites are privileged to be smarter than blacks.  That kind of allegation has always been considered sociological heresy.

(Just sayin')

Isn't it funny how they don't even realize that they're saying whites are smarter than blacks with this outcry?

Actually, Northern Africa is closer to Greece by far than Sweden is, so if it comes down to knowing Greek, they should beat me hands down.

(And actually, many do.  The math gene prominent in my family skipped right over me.  ^-^)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

(And actually, many do.  The math gene prominent in my family skipped right over me.  ^-^)

Me too.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline musiclady

Re: Professor Claims Math, Algebra And Geometry Promote ‘White Privilege’
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 08:21:10 pm »
Me too.

I did better in Geometry because I'm an artist and I could see something there.

I was just thinking about Katherine Johnson of NASA fame...... (recently of Hidden Figures).

Wonder if this dopey Prof thinks Katherine was the recipient of "white privilege."

My guess is that she could run mathematical rings around pretty much every white person, male or female, out there.....

Offline the_doc

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 09:11:36 pm »
Isn't it funny how they don't even realize that they're saying whites are smarter than blacks with this outcry?

Algebra uses practically no Greek letters.  Geometry uses only a few (sometimes using two or three Greek letters for designating angles, but more often using our Roman alphabet for labeling those angles).  Trigonometry uses a few Greek letters, usually only three or four, as I recall.  Is the teacher saying that black folks as a group can't handle even a few Greek letters?  And why hasn't she plausibly explained why white kids (seemingly?) can handle a few Greek letters?  This is a truly embarrassing theory on her part.   

Calculus, of course, uses a lot of Greek letters (especially in spherical calculus), and physics uses even more.  Black folks who make it that far might find these subjects difficult--but most white kids do, too.  It has nothing to do with the use of Greek letters.

The math teacher in the article ought to be fired for being a race-baiting idiot.  And as I have already suggested, the liberals ought to lead in that charge against her--since everything in her theory backfires against them.   

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 09:31:23 pm »
Algebra uses practically no Greek letters.  Geometry uses only a few (sometimes using two or three Greek letters for designating angles, but more often using our Roman alphabet for labeling those angles).  Trigonometry uses a few Greek letters, usually only three or four, as I recall.  Is the teacher saying that black folks as a group can't handle even a few Greek letters?  And why hasn't she plausibly explained why white kids (seemingly?) can handle a few Greek letters?  This is a truly embarrassing theory on her part.   

Calculus, of course, uses a lot of Greek letters (especially in spherical calculus), and physics uses even more.  Black folks who make it that far might find these subjects difficult--but most white kids do, too.  It has nothing to do with the use of Greek letters.
The math teacher in the article ought to be fired for being a race-baiting idiot.  And as I have already suggested, the liberals ought to lead in that charge against her--since everything in her theory backfires against them.   

I presume based on her logic, that only Greeks could excel in math. How in the hell did those damn Romans build their wondrous aqueducts, bridges, and buildings.

And how did those Germans, French, English etc. ever achieve anything?

BTW math is closely aligned with logic and philosophy.

Actually the Greek alphabet was derived from Phoenician, which came from  Egypt, which is in Africa technically.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 10:49:13 pm »

Actually, Northern Africa is closer to Greece by far than Sweden is, so if it comes down to knowing Greek, they should beat me hands down.

Same here.  My Dad could do complicated math problems in his head.  I can't add 2 plus 2 even with a calculator.   LOL

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 11:23:29 pm »
Same here.  My Dad could do complicated math problems in his head.  I can't add 2 plus 2 even with a calculator.   LOL

All 5 of my siblings had either majors or minors in math. I "flunked out" of advanced math in 8th grade.

But that's OK. As a musician, all I have to be able to do is count to four.  :dx1:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 12:48:14 am »
"Professor Claims Math, Algebra And Geometry Promote ‘White Privilege’..."

I have no problems with that.
If they do, that's just fine.

Mastery of such concepts as math, algebra and geometry ENTITLE one to "privilege", white... or otherwise.

Sounds good to me.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 01:20:33 am »
"Professor Claims Math, Algebra And Geometry Promote ‘White Privilege’..."

I have no problems with that.
If they do, that's just fine.

Mastery of such concepts as math, algebra and geometry ENTITLE one to "privilege", white... or otherwise.

Sounds good to me.

I work with a large number of PhD level scientists in the semiconductor industry.  5-6 years of College mathematics is the norm.  They are all colors and stripes, and they all detest being called, "Doctor."  But they are, and they earned it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 05:38:07 am »

And they did in Roman times. Koine Greek was the common language of business. No African in that sphere would have had a problem understanding anything in Greek.

It's one of the main reasons the New Testament is written in it, because it was universally understood.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:40:18 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 05:48:45 am »

Not to mention a great deal of higher math originated in India and the Middle East as well as Greece.
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 05:56:15 am »
Not to mention a great deal of higher math originated in India and the Middle East as well as Greece.

There is good evidence of some math mastery in the ancient Americas, too. Aztec calendars, etc.

I believe this "white privilege" episode is just another fad, for justifying mediocre performance by certain groups.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 06:11:55 am »
There is good evidence of some math mastery in the ancient Americas, too. Aztec calendars, etc.

I believe this "white privilege" episode is just another fad, for justifying mediocre performance by certain groups.

I noticed at the bottom of the article, she wants subjective, not objective learning.

In other words, hierarchical tribal group think, the liberal 'elders' indoctrinating their latest crop of SJW's.
The Republic is lost.