Author Topic: Prehistoric burial ground unearthed at UK army base  (Read 603 times)

rangerrebew

Prehistoric burial ground unearthed at UK army base
« on: October 22, 2017, 12:41:37 pm »
Prehistoric burial ground unearthed at UK army base
10/17/2017 11:00:00 PM 

Prior to work starting at the pitch, Wessex Archaeology was commissioned by Aspire Defence Capital Works (ADCW), who are building regimental headquarters and other facilities as part of the Army Basing Programme, to evaluate the site.

Six trenches were excavated and revealed archaeological features cut into the natural chalk geology, ranging in date from the prehistoric period through to the Second World War.

Read more at https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2017/10/prehistoric-burial-ground-unearthed-at.html#sMwCCwbUTKwqY5ZH.99

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
Re: Prehistoric burial ground unearthed at UK army base
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 10:39:58 pm »
Amazing what can be found while digging for a "sports pitch." I think that means a "sports venue" in American English?

I do like that everything will be studied by archeologists.  You never know if there is valuable information on these prehistoric digs. I am sure the lives of these individuals found were important to them!  A 17-year-old boy and a baby.  There is probably no DNA available today to connect the two. 

What do they do with the remains after the archeologists finish studying them?  These are common people.  Do you know? Is there another burial?

You have so many more articles to read!  Love them!

Have to feed the kitties and my husband.  Sadly, in that order.  Will be reading more soon.

Thanks!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra