Author Topic: Research sheds new light on early turquoise mining in Southwest  (Read 591 times)

rangerrebew

Fall 2017, Cover Stories, Daily News
Research sheds new light on early turquoise mining in Southwest

Thu, Oct 19, 2017

UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA—Turquoise is an icon of the desert Southwest, with enduring cultural significance, especially for Native American communities. Yet, relatively little is known about the early history of turquoise procurement and exchange in the region.

University of Arizona researchers are starting to change that by blending archaeology and geochemistry to get a more complete picture of the mineral's mining and distribution in the region prior to the 16th-century arrival of the Spanish.

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/fall-2017/article/research-sheds-new-light-on-early-turquoise-mining-in-southwest

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: Research sheds new light on early turquoise mining in Southwest
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 02:12:57 pm »
I bought some A+ grade tourqoise from the Sleeping Beauty mine before they stopped mining tourqoise, but continue to mine copper.  Now I'd have to take out a second mortgage to buy the ssme piece of tourqoise. 

When I was a kid growing up, tourqoise was plentiful and inexpensive. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 09:00:44 pm »
I bought some A+ grade tourqoise from the Sleeping Beauty mine before they stopped mining tourqoise, but continue to mine copper.  Now I'd have to take out a second mortgage to buy the ssme piece of tourqoise. 

When I was a kid growing up, tourqoise was plentiful and inexpensive.
I have not read the article yet, but I will.

Do you remember the Bisbee (sp?) turqoise? That had the beautiful black lines running through the dark blue turqoise.  I still have a few pieces of it.  Beautiful stones!

And, yes, turquoise is quite expensive now.  But as I recall, it was pretty expensive even in the '70s.  I think it got popular around that time.

Off to read the article!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 09:22:58 pm »
Fall 2017, Cover Stories, Daily News

Thu, Oct 19, 2017

UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA—Turquoise is an icon of the desert Southwest, with enduring cultural significance, especially for Native American communities. Yet, relatively little is known about the early history of turquoise procurement and exchange in the region.

University of Arizona researchers are starting to change that by blending archaeology and geochemistry to get a more complete picture of the mineral's mining and distribution in the region prior to the 16th-century arrival of the Spanish.

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/fall-2017/article/research-sheds-new-light-on-early-turquoise-mining-in-southwest

Very nice article!  Got me to go into a jewelry drawer that I keep for old stuff.  I found two sides to a watch that looks like they are from the Canyon Creek area. My husband had to tell me if they were larger than one cm., and they are.  Bought this for my dad in the '70s.  Missing the watch and band, but the two side pieces are there. 

I can't identify a necklace that has five stones in the middle and 12 long round beads on each side. Interesting!

Few more other older things that were not mentioned in the article.  Remember the silver concho belts?

Thanks for the article.  Hope more turqoise is found here in AZ.  Beautiful stones!  And there is so much history involving this particular stone in the Southwest!
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra