Author Topic: Judge tosses $417M award against Johnson& Johnson  (Read 7124 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Judge tosses $417M award against Johnson& Johnson
« on: October 21, 2017, 03:26:22 pm »
Judge tosses $417M award against Johnson& Johnson
LA Times, Oct 21, 2017, ROBERT JABLON/Associated Press

A judge on Friday tossed out a $417 million jury award to a woman who claimed she developed ovarian cancer by using Johnson & Johnson talc-based baby powder for feminine hygiene.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Maren Nelson granted the company's request for a new trial, saying there were errors and jury misconduct in the previous trial that ended with the award two months ago.

Nelson also ruled that there wasn't convincing evidence that Johnson & Johnson acted with malice and the award for damages was excessive.

The decision will be appealed even though Eva Echeverria has died, said her attorney, Mark Robinson Jr.

More: http://www.latimes.com/sns-bc-us--talcum-powder-cancer-lawsuit-20171021-story.html

Offline Applewood

Re: Judge tosses $417M award against Johnson& Johnson
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 03:43:47 pm »
The award was tossed based on the propriety of the jurisdiction iin which it was brought -- nothing to do with the merits of the case.  The estate's lawyers will appeal, but even if they lose, they could always file another suit in the proper forum. Barring settlement, this case could be litigated for years.  And there are others pending.

I'm sorry about the woman's death, but talcum powder has never been definitively proven as a cause of ovarian cancer. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 04:47:51 pm »
The award was tossed based on the propriety of the jurisdiction iin which it was brought -- nothing to do with the merits of the case.  The estate's lawyers will appeal, but even if they lose, they could always file another suit in the proper forum. Barring settlement, this case could be litigated for years.  And there are others pending.

I'm sorry about the woman's death, but talcum powder has never been definitively proven as a cause of ovarian cancer.
Merits of the case?  Nothing would deserve giving one woman $417 million.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 01:11:21 am »

I have to question how the powder or any mineral contaminant therein went against the natural flow to get that far upstream, anyway.

Then it has to be the cause of the cancer.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 01:24:27 am »
Talcum Powder has been used for centuries. This was just a frivolous lawsuit by a person who is trying to score big bucks. This goes right up there with the person who sued McDonalds because the coffee was too hot when it spilled on her.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:24:47 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 01:31:35 am »
Talcum Powder has been used for centuries. This was just a frivolous lawsuit by a person who is trying to score big bucks. This goes right up there with the person who sued McDonalds because the coffee was too hot when it spilled on her.

That McDonald's suit may not be as frivolous as you think it is.  The coffee was served at a lot higher temperature than is "normal".

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 01:33:03 am »
That McDonald's suit may not be as frivolous as you think it is.  The coffee was served at a lot higher temperature than is "normal".

What is the "normal" temperature for hot coffee? If you get any colder, you end up with a mocha frappichino.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:33:34 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 01:33:03 am »
At least the person who spilled hot coffee had an injury, albeit something that was predictable (coffee is hot, after all).

In the talcum powder case, proof of the product causing injury has to be produced. Not to mention the mechanism by which the powder got from one end of the pipe all the way to the other, anatomically speaking, against the normal and natural flow of things.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 01:35:02 am »
What is the "normal" temperature for hot coffee? If you get any colder, you end up with a mocha frappichino.

It's normally served around 155.  The coffee the woman received from McDonald's was up at 190.

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 01:36:09 am »
At least the person who spilled hot coffee had an injury, albeit something that was predictable (coffee is hot, after all).

In the talcum powder case, proof of the product causing injury has to be produced. Not to mention the mechanism by which the powder got from one end of the pipe all the way to the other, anatomically speaking, against the normal and natural flow of th
ings.

I think that the McDonald's case "settled" out of court, These are when lawyers get greedy.

On June 27, 2011, HBO premiered a documentary about tort reform problems titled Hot Coffee.[35] A large portion of the film covered Liebeck's lawsuit. This included news clips, comments from celebrities and politicians about the case, as well as myths and misconceptions, including how many people thought she was driving when the incident occurred and thought that she suffered only minor superficial burns. The film also discussed in great depth how Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants is often used and misused to describe a frivolous lawsuit and referenced in conjunction with tort reform efforts.[7] It contends that corporations have spent millions promoting misconceptions of tort cases in order to promote tort reform. In reality, the majority of damages in the case were punitive due to McDonald's' reckless disregard for the number of burn victims prior to Liebec

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:37:45 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 01:37:46 am »
The McD's case was not thrown out.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 01:39:47 am »
It's normally served around 155.  The coffee the woman received from McDonald's was up at 190.

Similarly, as of 2004, Starbucks sells coffee at 175–185 °F (79–85 °C), and the executive director of the Specialty Coffee Association of America reported that the standard serving temperature is 160–185 °F (71–85 °C).

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 01:41:05 am »

he judge reduced punitive damages to $480,000, three times the compensatory amount, for a total of $640,000. The decision was appealed by both McDonald's and Liebeck in December 1994, but the parties settled out of court for an undisclosed amount less than $600,000.[18] Yes you are correct it was not thrown out.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:42:08 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 01:46:16 am »

In Bogle v. McDonald's Restaurants Ltd. (2002), a similar lawsuit in England failed when the court rejected the claim that McDonald's could have avoided injury by serving coffee at a lower temperature.[26]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restauants

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:07:28 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline stephen50right

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 01:52:21 am »
I get sick and tired of scumbag lawyers trying to extort money from others thru the legal system...in which we all windup paying for their parasitic behavior.

The civil tort system needs to be changed to the plaintiff loser pays the legal fees of a winning defendant AND the plaintiff's lawyer if they sign a contingency agreement for say 40%, then they are liable for paying 40% of the winning defendant's attorney fees. If the plaintiff has no money, then the plaintiff's lawyer is on the hook for 100%.

Let's see how these scumbags like getting soaked out of their money.

No more handing out free lottery tickets to parasitic scumbag lawyers.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 01:55:41 am »
Point being, in the McDonald's case, there was injury. It was caused by the coffee being hot (something to expect, and 185 degrees instead of 190 would probably not make much differences to her lap). If that temperature was excessive, apparently the court agreed.

However, it isn't proven the talcum powder caused ovarian cancer. Normal usage of a topically applied powder would likely not bring it into contact with the ovaries. There had to be some quirk of usage which defies ordinary conceived practice in order to get that far into the reproductive plumbing, considering the natural flow of things is toward atmosphere and not toward the ovaries. If this powder is a cause of cancer, I would expect there would be instances where Fallopian tubes, the Uterus, Cervix, Vagina and labia would have developed cancers as well. Those instances do not seem to be in evidence, even though they should be subject to increasingly greater exposure to the alleged carcinogen by virtue of their proximity to the application site.
Needless to say, babies should be covered with tumors...

C S Lewis

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 01:55:43 am »
I get sick and tired of scumbag lawyers trying to extort money from others thru the legal system...in which we all windup paying for their parasitic behavior.

The civil tort system needs to be changed to the plaintiff loser pays the legal fees of a winning defendant AND the plaintiff's lawyer if they sign a contingency agreement for say 40%, then they are liable for paying 40% of the winning defendant's attorney fees. If the plaintiff has no money, then the plaintiff's lawyer is on the hook for 100%.

Let's see how these scumbags like getting soaked out of their money.

No more handing out free lottery tickets to parasitic scumbag lawyers.

They are scumbags. I was sued by an illegal citizen because he collided into my car. I had his butt deported when the case ended. Made damn sure from ICE that he boarded that bus and thrown out from the United States.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:13:41 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 01:58:31 am »
Point being, in the McDonald's case, there was injury. It was caused by the coffee being hot (something to expect, and 185 degrees instead of 190 would probably not make much differences to her lap). If that temperature was excessive, apparently the court agreed.

However, it isn't proven the talcum powder caused ovarian cancer. Normal usage of a topically applied powder would likely not bring it into contact with the ovaries. There had to be some quirk of usage which defies ordinary conceived practice in order to get that far into the reproductive plumbing, considering the natural flow of things is toward atmosphere and not toward the ovaries. If this powder is a cause of cancer, I would expect there would be instances where Fallopian tubes, the Uterus, Cervix, Vagina and labia would have developed cancers as well. Those instances do not seem to be in evidence, even though they should be subject to increasingly greater exposure to the alleged carcinogen by virtue of their proximity to the application site.
Needless to say, babies should be covered with tumors...

Its just a bunch of greedy ambulance chasing lawyers looking for a hand out. We end up paying for it as consumers

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 02:18:04 am »

What an uppity bitch. Love you calling shit out.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 02:36:46 am »
Its just a bunch of greedy ambulance chasing lawyers looking for a hand out. We end up paying for it as consumers
I guess I'll put it this way. In the event someone's negligence causes me injury, I will want to be compensated. Not made into an overnight millionaire, but compensated justly. So, eliminating the right to bring civil suit or for the court to set compensation on a case by case basis is not something I want to do.

But the basic formula is this:

There has to be injury. No injury, no money, burden of proof on the accuser.

The use or consumption or some other attribute (usually a material, design, or workmanship flaw) of the product has to be the cause of the injury.

Ideally, the company or person whose actions caused the injury has to be aware that the product or action could be reasonably anticipated to cause injury by virtue of inherent danger, negligence, or faulty design or construction of the product. However that awareness may not have to be present.

Unfortunately, there no longer has to be an expectation that people will have enough common sense to not be injured by using a product incorrectly. (That's why there are pages of instruction manuals which say things like "Do not use this electric hair dryer while showering." and "Do not run over living things with your lawnmower, serious injury or death may result.", because such admonitions are an affirmative defense against being sued over the unfathomable ability of consumers to do stupid things with products.)

However, now the company has to have failed to anticipate the way the consumer would misuse the product no matter how stupid, and warn against doing so.

That has shifted the burden to the producer (another reason for offshoring manufacturing to subsidiary or foreign firms). So we don't just pay for it as consumers, we pay for it as producers, too, by the loss of jobs.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:38:13 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 02:39:54 am »
I guess I'll put it this way. In the event someone's negligence causes me injury, I will want to be compensated. Not made into an overnight millionaire, but compensated justly. So, eliminating the right to bring civil suit or for the court to set compensation on a case by case basis is not something I want to do.

But the basic formula is this:

There has to be injury. No injury, no money, burden of proof on the accuser.

The use or consumption or some other attribute (usually a material, design, or workmanship flaw) of the product has to be the cause of the injury.

Ideally, the company or person whose actions caused the injury has to be aware that the product or action could be reasonably anticipated to cause injury by virtue of inherent danger, negligence, or faulty design or construction of the product. However that awareness may not have to be present.

Unfortunately, there no longer has to be an expectation that people will have enough common sense to not be injured by using a product incorrectly. (That's why there are pages of instruction manuals which say things like "Do not use this electric hair dryer while showering." and "Do not run over living things with your lawnmower, serious injury or death may result.", because such admonitions are an affirmative defense against being sued over the unfathomable ability of consumers to do stupid things with products.)

However, now the company has to have failed to anticipate the way the consumer would misuse the product no matter how stupid, and warn against doing so.

That has shifted the burden to the producer (another reason for offshoring manufacturing to subsidiary or foreign firms). So we don't just pay for it as consumers, we pay for it as producers, too, by the loss of jobs.

They want to be millionares overnight. First they shop around, then they get bottom feeding lawyers who want a piece of that pie. The company wants to settle because of the "bad pr" it brings and its cheaper to settle it than bring it to court. The guy who sued me was represented by a bottom feeder. I took it to court and it was discovered that he was a chronically arrested and deported. He ended back in Mexico when it was all over.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:49:18 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 02:54:08 am »
They want to be millionares overnight. First they shop around, then they get bottom feeding lawyers who want a piece of that pie. The company wants to settle because of the "bad pr" it brings and its cheaper to settle it than bring it to court. The guy who sued me was represented by a bottom feeder. I took it to court and it was discovered that he was a chronically arrested and deported. He ended back in Mexico when it was all over.

We have 1.22 million lawyers in America. To me, that is 1.22 million bottom feeders.Over 70% of the worlds lawyers live in the U.S.

The U.S. has over 900,000 lawyers !

That�s one lawyer for every 300 Americans.

Washington D.C. boasts 1 lawyer for every 22 people!

Number of Law Students Enrolled :� 125,000

Number of New Lawyers every year : 40,000

http://homepages.rpi.edu/~verwyc/Chap4law.htm

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 02:54:11 am »
They want to be millionares overnight. First they shop around, then they get bottom feeding lawyers who want a piece of that pie.
"Bottom feeding" lawyers will work the cases for a contingency fee. This enables people who are injured but have no money to hire a lawyer to seek payment for damages sustained by genuine negligence. The pedestrian who was hit by someone texting and driving for instance, who suffers long term debilitation from their injuries. Liability limits on insurance policies may not be high enough to compensate the victim, and the insurance company may just cut a check for that limit and be done with the case, leaving someone with serious and ongoing medical expenses. Those 'ambulance chasers' enable people who have been genuinely injured to be compensated for that expense and injury.

Frankly, I'm all for that, and the attorney's pay should be factored in, too. Not all liability cases are unjustified, nor are the amounts sought for compensation, although a few are ridiculously so. 

The guys who bill millions for very little work on things like the tobacco lawsuit or other more egregious seriously padded bills (like some class action suits where the class members get a certificate to spend with a company they will never do business with again, and the attorneys get a large check) are the real bottom feeders.

C S Lewis

Offline DemolitionMan

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 02:55:17 am »
"Bottom feeding" lawyers will work the cases for a contingency fee. This enables people who are injured but have no money to hire a lawyer to seek payment for damages sustained by genuine negligence. The pedestrian who was hit by someone texting and driving for instance, who suffers long term debilitation from their injuries. Liability limits on insurance policies may not be high enough to compensate the victim, and the insurance company may just cut a check for that limit and be done with the case, leaving someone with serious and ongoing medical expenses. Those 'ambulance chasers' enable people who have been genuinely injured to be compensated for that expense and injury.

Frankly, I'm all for that, and the attorney's pay should be factored in, too. Not all liability cases are unjustified, nor are the amounts sought for compensation, although a few are ridiculously so. 

The guys who bill millions for very little work on things like the tobacco lawsuit or other more egregious seriously padded bills (like some class action suits where the class members get a certificate to spend with a company they will never do business with again, and the attorneys get a large check) are the real bottom feeders.

.Over 70% of the worlds lawyers live in the U.S.

They have no morals exept to the Almighty Buck!! I thank God every day by showing that guy by having his butt thrown out of the country.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:59:10 am by DemolitionMan »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 02:58:17 am »
We have 1.22 million lawyers in America. To me, that is 1.22 million bottom feeders.Over 70% of the worlds lawyers live in the U.S.

Yep, but some of them handle wills and probate, others title searches for real estate and mineral rights, some handle criminal cases and have nothing to do with torts. Some, like Barack and Michelle Obama don't practice law at all.

C S Lewis